The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 18, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
kraigwy

1911s and USPSA

Did I read the rules right that (SA Only) 1911s such as the Gold Cup and 1911a1's are not allowed in USPSA matches??
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 18, 2011, 08:42 PM   #2
pgonza

1911's

I believe that is incorrect. I went to my first USPSA match a few weeks ago and most people were using single stack and single action 1911's.
Old June 18, 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
kraigwy

Thanks, hope you are right. I was going by this from their web site.

Quote:
2000 (29 oz.), Double Eagle (39 oz.)
Any DAO or DA/SA revolver with a barrel length of up to 8.5" is approved
Thing is of all my pistols and revolvers, can't shoot any as well as I can shoot my Series 70 Gold Cup.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Adamantium

SAO handguns are not allowed in Production division, but are in Single Stack, Limited, Limited 10 and Open. Perhaps that is where the confusion came from.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:08 PM   #5
g.willikers

Your confusion is due to not really reading the rule books, all nine of them, and nearly 500 pages.
The handgun rules books alone are about 150 pages worth.
Just keep them in the bathroom.
Sooner or later you will wade through them all.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6
lmccrock

Quote:
SAO handguns are not allowed in Production division, but are in Single Stack, Limited, Limited 10 and Open. Perhaps that is where the confusion came from.
This is correct. Most competitive in Single Stack, but works well in Limited 10 if you have 10 rd mags. Also, SS is better if your holster is more like Production division gear. Limited 10 is more tolerant of racey gear.
Old June 23, 2011, 11:43 PM   #7
warningshot

500 page rule book?

I have been out of IPSC for awhile. 500 pages? What have they done to the sport! Anyone have a couple of cans of whomp butt for the authors?
Old June 24, 2011, 12:09 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
500 pages? What have they done to the sport!
Gamed it.

Gaming Gamers!
Old June 24, 2011, 07:22 AM   #9
lmccrock

Not sure it really is 500 pages, but that includes pistol, rifle shotgun, precision rifle, and multigun, in 5 different books. Just want pistol? That is 100 booklet sized, large-ish print pages including tables and pictures and blank pages for notes. Feel better?
Old June 24, 2011, 08:28 AM   #10
kraigwy

I shot the match with my Series 70 Gold Cup, I let them figure it out. They put me in the "single stack" catagory.

I actually paid to shoot a second gun. I wanted to see which I shot the best, my Beretta 92FS or the Colt.

The colt won hands down, (shooting wise, I got a couple procedure penalites when I was shooting the Colt; Skipping a shooting station and shooting from the wrong box) but that was me, not the gun.

I can shoot the Colt better, but when it comes to loading, well 18 round mags beat 7 round mags. But again I've been shooting the Colt about 35 years vs. one year for the Beretta.

I thought a Colt Gold Cup was considered a modern pistol, but there were a few comments that it was older then most of the shooters at the match.

Thank God for cast bullets, you go through a heck of a lot of ammo shooting two guns at these matches.

All in All, I did pretty good for an over the hill rifle shooter.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:35 PM   #11
lmccrock

Quote:
I thought a Colt Gold Cup was considered a modern pistol, but there were a few comments that it was older then most of the shooters at the match.
Gold Cups were the pinnacle of factory handgun development....in the 70's. By the time my Series 80 Gold Cup was made, others challenged, and when the sights fell of mine, I figured some upgrades would be good. I still have the gun, but new sights and new bushing make it more fun to shoot.

Kraig, you know this, but for others - unless you choose to go into another division, the single stack and a 92 do not compete head-to-head.

Quote:
Thank God for cast bullets, you go through a heck of a lot of ammo shooting two guns at these matches.
Yep, shooting a 45 drove me into reloading.
Old July 6, 2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Don P

Just what it implies 1911 with 8 round magazines and 1 in da pipe is single stack. As a previous post had in it I am unaware of a DA/SA 1911
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 8, 2011, 04:52 PM   #13
Gryff

Check out page 82 of the Handgun Rules for details on the Single-Stack Division. Here is the Special Note, which is key to the division:

Quote:
Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.
By the way, the XD is considered SAO, but has been approved for use in Production Division. I can't think of any other SAO guns that have been approved, though (especially ones with external hammers).