The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2011, 01:56 PM   #1
mustang66maniac

Selling reloaded ammo on craigslist?

What do u guys think about this? Do you think it's a bad idea?

I was thinking since I can reload for cheaper than I can buy, why not pass on the savings to fellow shooters? I know it's against the rules to sell ammo on CL so I'd have to sell the components and then assemble them separately forthe customer. But I can make some quality ammo and have about 10 years under my belt, I figured everyone wants good affordable ammo. What do u think?
Old May 26, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Edward429451

I think it's inviting trouble to sell reloads commercially without going totally legit with insurance and the whole nine yards.

Besides, they'd get to keep the brass! That would be bad.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Component Costs are not everything

What is your time worth?
Ask your insurance agent if the activity would be covered by your home owners or renter policy? If not, factor in the cost of adding $1 mil liability.
Business license?
Zoning for that activity?
Do you need a license from BATF?
Would you be an employer? Payroll and workers comp, etc.

Loading informally for friends is one thing. But I think you are looking at a big can of worms.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

Very bad idea. It's against the law and you're inviting big liability lawsuits.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:15 PM   #5
4runnerman

You can't sell that stuff on craigslist. I tried to sell a scope and it was deleted. Anything to do with guns will be deleted and you will get a e-mail from them stating it was removed. So that is problem #1, Problem #2 is what everyone else is saying here. Have a very good lawyer if you do sell reloads.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
noelf2

Not worth it. Everyone makes mistakes. Your mistake could hurt someone pretty bad. If you do everything right and they "think" you made bad ammo that got them hurt, they will sue you and win. Keep the savings for yourself.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Do you have your ammo manufacturer's license (can't remember what FFL it is, 6 I think) and paid your $2250 ITAR registration fee with the US State Dept? If yes, you're good to go.

It's also a great way to ruin a good hobby. (any hobby)
Old May 26, 2011, 02:50 PM   #8
praetorian97

Ya big no no and illegal at that.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9
oneounceload

Without the proper permits and licenses from the Feds, it is a felony - 10 years plus big fine - AND you lose all 2A rights forever

If it is still worth it to you, go ahead, get the permits, etc. but unless you are using a fully automated machine, you can't make enough fast enough to make a living
Old May 26, 2011, 03:53 PM   #10
brickeyee

You need a Type 6 FFL to sell ammunition or components (even bullets you cast).
Old May 26, 2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Sevens

Mustangmaniac -- don't feel bad about asking that question and getting rained on like this. We do hear this question on a regular basis. Most folks don't realize that it's very much against Federal law to make ammo and sell it.

You can give it away, but even that could potentially open you up to liability.

Your buddy could provide you with the components and you could assemble it for him, but even then, you'd be even better to get his help or teach him to do it.

But your idea is not legal and could draw you in to a heap of crap that you don't want.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:30 PM   #12
mustang66maniac

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm glad I asked, but maybe I'll just keep it to myself and my buddies.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:39 PM   #13
emirikol

not only is it a federal crime, but a bad idea all the way around.

Would you buy reloads from craiglist? of course not. so why would people buy yours?
Old May 26, 2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Ozzieman

A good friend had a reloading business back in the 80’s, sold only to gun shops and had the permits and records and insurance.
Averaged 50 thousand rounds a year and had a nice retirement business going until the insurance company decided that since the reloading shop was connected to his house it made his home part of a hazardous business and required hazardous business insurance. His insurance went so high in one year that he gave up the reloading business and just made bullets.
In one year to cover the insurance he would have had to increase the price of 38’s triple what he had been selling them for.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:59 PM   #15
BigJimP

Keeping it / selling to your buddies is a bad idea too .....

you still don't have any insurance if one of them blows up a gun / or gets hurt .... ( its all good until someone gets hurt ! ) ....

Maybe ....Only Maybe .... let them buy their components / and let them use your press ...but selling reloads, to anyone, is a big time mistake !! Your homeowners liability insurance will not cover or protect you !!
Old May 26, 2011, 09:24 PM   #16
mustang66maniac

Quote:
Keeping it / selling to your buddies is a bad idea too .....
I meant I'll only reload Ammo for myself or my good friends that i trust.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:38 PM   #17
SRE

You need an FFL T6.... or you can get in a lot of trouble with the ATF. Had someone I know (no a friend but a friend of a friend) who was caught selling ammo online for dirt cheap to people and the ATF broke down his door and not only arrested him, but took all of his weapons and reloading equipment from his house. This happened in Maryland. Think about it, selling munitions without the proper licensing is against the law. That is why the Government has FFL's in place.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:47 PM   #18
TXGunNut

It's something most of us wanted to do, mustang. Selling components and assembling them is selling ammo and requires licensing and more insurance than a small operation can justify. Enjoy your hobby, teach your buddies how to roll their own and spend your time loading AND shooting.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:09 PM   #19
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang66maniac
If your good friend is using your reloaded ammo and his gun blows up resulting in the loss of a hand or eyesight, how long do you suppose he'll remain your good friend? You are assuming a whole lot of risk by being a nice guy. How much in the way of legal fees and judgements can you afford before it catastophically impacts your and your family's future? There's a reason that ammo manufacturers (and remanufacturers) maintain multi-million dollar liability policies at significant expense.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:47 PM   #20
Edward429451

Understand the retail consumer mind. They want the best price in the world and a warranty to boot. Everyone's your friend until they smell money. Actually the insurance is more reasonable than you might think but there is other obstacles.

Close friends are different. I will reload for my friends but with a few caveats. They have to help, and the gun has to be here. These guys who have guns and don't reload usually want to learn and I usually try to have them very participatory in the charging and verifying charges even moreso than anything else. This way they have intimate knowledge of the construction of their ammo and so can have confidence in it. The rule is, unless we have worked up a load for thier particular gun before, they get starting loads and nothing else.

The worst thing that ever happened with a newbie was one friend managed to put a decapping pin through his thumbnail on my rockchucker press. shakes head...
Old May 27, 2011, 12:56 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

I'd like to expand just a bit on Marco's post:
Ask your insurance agent if the activity would be covered by your home owners or renter policy? If not, factor in the cost of adding $1 mil liability.
Unless you "go big time", the cost of liability insurance is too high. Selling "on the side" just won't bring in enough funds.

Business license?
Absolutely required. Even if your state does not require a license for the activity, your insurance company will. ...And the ATF won't give you a license without one.

Zoning for that activity?
If you dig around online, you'll find some reports of people being denied their business licenses, due to their locality considering ammunition manufacturing an "industrial" activity. If you are zoned residential or commercial, it isn't enough. Rent, Lease, or Buy some properly zoned space, or give up.

Do you need a license from BATF?
The BIG one. You need a Class 6 FFL to legally sell ammunition you produced. The license is dirt cheap ($10 / year), but brings all of the above complications with it. The 06 FFL is require for anyone producing bullets, cases, powders, primers, shot, or any other component of a cartridge, for sale (all of the previous are defined as "ammunition"). ....And a Class 11 FFL is required, if you intend to produce armor piercing ammunition (or just AP bullets) - which brings additional complications.

It's only worth it if you have a good plan, and intend to make ammunition production your primary source of income. Even then... it's not for everyone.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:55 AM   #22
Locoweed

And when it's said and done I still wouldn't shoot some one else's reloads in my firearms nor would I expect anyone to shoot my reloads. You say you're been reloading for ten years. I've been reloading for over 40 years and still make a mistake once in a while. There are some people who reload locally and sell their ammo at gun shows. There have been plenty of problems with their ammo and they even mix different calibers in the same bag. I hope they've got plenty of liability insurance. Caveat Emptor!
Old May 29, 2011, 10:25 AM   #23
MADISON

Selling reloads on Craig's List

Do you have the required $ 1,000,000 of liability insurance?
Do you have the required Class 6 FFL?
Old May 29, 2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Hawg

I only shoot my own reloads and the only reloads of mine I let anybody else shoot are black powder.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Shootest

Quote:
I don’t reload for anyone other than my father, and would not recommend that anyone do so, but I do allow others to use my equipment to reload for themselves.