The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many guns do you carry?
1 gun 101 31.56%
1 gun and a reload(s) 121 37.81%
2 guns 41 12.81%
2 guns and reloads for each 41 12.81%
I'm a walking arsenal... 16 5.00%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 26, 2008, 07:56 AM   #51
45Marlin carbine

sometimes, depending on where I'm headed and/or what I'm doing. if on my M/C always if I'm headed to remote area - and spare mags/ammo.
lightly dressed just one, my Beretta .32acp and spare mag.
Old September 30, 2008, 08:14 PM   #52
Un_lucky

I carry one gun (642) in my pocket whenever I can legally. I carry one or two larger guns when its practical. I have two on me 50% of the time. Three in the winter especially in an outside coat pocket.
Old September 30, 2008, 08:55 PM   #53
Nnobby45

Quote:
sometimes, depending on where I'm headed and/or what I'm doing. if on my M/C always if I'm headed to remote area - and spare mags/ammo.
lightly dressed just one, my Beretta .32acp and spare mag.
I most always carry a 642 BUG, and areas with lots of people concern me as much as remote areas.
Old October 4, 2008, 02:47 AM   #54
MauiDoc

6+1 in my M1991A1, 1 7-round backup mag. A moot point cuz I can't carry here, anyway. Working on that; wish me luck.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:10 PM   #55
no one

carry habits

Para-Ordnance P-13 alloy frame strong side, with a reload mag that holds 15 rounds. A Kel-tec 380, or 32 auto in the off side pants pocket.

The para will (hopefully) solve what problems I have, the pocket pistol is to get to my wife, or friend should they need to shoot back also. The extra mag for the para is because I was always taught to carry at least one extra mag no matter how many rounds are in your firearm. The magazine is a mechanical device, and as such is prone to failure, loss or some other problem that will end ability to continue the fight unless it it replaced. The spare mag is like the spare tire on my auto...I don't want to use it, but if you have to.......
Old October 8, 2008, 11:08 AM   #56
ILuvMyPara45

Para P-14 carried small of the back, one mag next to the holster...24/7 365
Old October 8, 2008, 12:51 PM   #57
Alpine Storm

two guns?

Are you serious, the odds of you needing a firearm are probably 1/800,000 and the odds of a malfunction would be like 1/10,000 so if you multiply the two you are at 1.25E^-10.

You might as well carry more plausible things such as;
  • Life Raft
  • Canteen
  • Kevlar Helmet
  • Hacksaw
  • Ladder
  • Turnicate

After the first gun, any of the above will protect you long before the second gun. It's these types of posts that cast the easily applicable tittle of "gun nut" to CWP carriers.
Old October 8, 2008, 03:21 PM   #58
James K
Member In Memoriam

A couple of years ago, a fellow posted (or boasted) that he carried two big Glocks, two little Glocks, four extra magazines for each, two boxes of ammo, a bowie knife, a switchblade knife and a pair of nunchuks.

He said he didn't consider that being overgunned. He didn't say if he could even move.

Jim
Old October 8, 2008, 04:03 PM   #59
AzNFree

a glock 23 a PPKS .380 and an AR-15 in the car......sounds like a lot i know but if you have ever been in south Phoenix........
Old October 8, 2008, 10:51 PM   #60
mavracer

most of the time 1 five shot snub either 44spec or 357 and a speedloader.ocasionally I carry IWB a larger gun sometimes both.
fall/winter walks I sometimes carry OWB under flannel often on those occasions I carry these.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 9, 2008, 10:30 AM   #61
kiov

+1 on Gattor's comment.

I ccw one gun, at night or when going to seedy places. usually Kahr MK9, no xtra mags in lou alessi ankle hoster. one nasty, but legal knife, always.

cz85 stays in the car, with two 18 rd. mags.

Still, i wouldn't judge others, cause i dont know where they live or what the threat level is in their environs.

my suggestion would be to start with one and see how it goes.

also, have to admit i like they guy's style who carries two full sized 1911's. That would be pretty fun. I can see pulling both and blasting away, just like in the movies! I can just imagine some punks out to do some robberies with a little snubbie or Keltec just sheeting the bed seeing those .45's come out. ()
Old October 9, 2008, 11:45 AM   #62
chrisp0410

There was only one period of my life where I felt the need to carry more than one CCW weapon at a time was required, aside from combat deployments where you can never carry enough. Years ago, while in grad school, I was employed as a subcontractor by one of the large nationwide alarm companies you see on TV. Being employed as a "Keyholder/Responder," my responsibilities included responding to and entering contracted client's places of business to investigate alarm activations, reset the alarms and produce reports. Many of these businesses were manufacturing companies with large factory areas, warehouses, dark hallways, basements, etc. Many of these businesses were located in REALLY bad areas with very high crime rates. And here I am, walking through this area wearing khakies, a white dress shirt and a navy blue blazer.

During responses, I carried two identical Glock 23s loaded with 135 grain JHPs in a Galco horizontal rig (all the rage back in the early 90s) and I had a spare full-sized magazine from a Glock 22 on my left side hip. My flashlight was always in my weak hand with my clipboard under my weak arm.

My rationale for this firepower was that if I get trapped in some basement I would have to hold my ground until the authorities arrived which could be a considerable amount of time. if someone managed to get one pistol from me, I would at least have a fighting chance with my back-up.

I have not found another reason to carry more than one at a time.

Chrisp0410
Old October 9, 2008, 01:08 PM   #63
Boarhunter

I am a lawyer and typically wear a sports jacket or suit to and from work, but rarely do I wear a jacket at the office. So, I start every morning now with a Ruger SR9 and extra mag on my hip in a Chris Stewart Ready Tactical paddle holster/mag pouch. And I also drop a Kel-Tec PF9 into my front pocket, holstered in a DeSantis pocket holster, along with an extra mag for it. Then, when I get to the office and pull off the jacket, the Ruger and its paraphernalia go into the desk drawer, leaving only the Kel-Tec in the pocket. Any trips out the door, except to the court house, is a reverse of that procedure.

It is quick and easy and works for me.

Boarhunter
Old October 12, 2008, 11:48 PM   #64
Geronimo45

I don't think I'll ever need to use my CC piece, or any other gun I own.
I don't think I'll ever need to reload my gun in an action versus a hostile party.
I don't think I'll ever need a second gun.
I don't think I'll ever need a knife to fight someone off.
I don't think my vote will ever be the only thing that keeps America from electing a Hitler or Stalin.

Those all sound reasonable to me. They may be true for the rest of my life.

I carry a gun more because I can than because I think I'll need it. I sometimes carry a second gun when going to unfamiliar territory. I always carry a knife - much more for use than defense, though.
I vote, too.
It's exercising a right and taking a few precautions.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:16 PM   #65
mjblucci

when i get a second s&w 637, i will carry one at 4 o'clock iwb and the second on a cross draw shoulder rig under my right arm for left hand draws. i dont think i would ever need to draw both. if i did that means bad things like being pinned down by gun fire and no where to run. but i feel it really beats a j frame speed reload as well as options for the most directly available hand for the quickest possible response time for any given situation. keeping them on one side keeps them just plain and simple better concealed for my tall yet small frame and able to be more easily kept from bumping into strangers in public being only concerned with only my right side at all.
Old August 17, 2014, 08:20 AM   #66
weldonjr2001

More and more now I carry a LCP or LCR in my left front pocket in addition to whatever else I'm carrying that day because why not?

Sometimes in my daily activities and encounters, the pocket piece is easier and quicker to access than the other one.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:38 AM   #67
Signal-0

The only time I've carried 2 CC pistols was when on duty (I'm a deputy)... a .38 S&W on my right ankle and a Ruger LC-9 on my left. I do NOT do it all the time and have recently stuck with just the .38 S&W.

While some may consider having two CC pistols on their person to be extreme, if you can do it w/o issue, why not?

I don't CC 2 when off duty, but won't fault the person who does...
Old August 17, 2014, 10:21 AM   #68
OldMarksman
Staff

I can think of a couple of reasons why carrying a second firearm might be a good idea:
  1. to allow you to access a firearm while you are strapped into the driver's seat of a vehicle, if you carry your primary weapon on the right side; and
  2. to provide additional ready caspacity to the carrier of a five shot revolver.

One other comes to mind: to provide a very quick fix in the event of a malfunction.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:32 AM   #69
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Alpine Storm: Are you serious, the odds of you needing a firearm are probably 1/800,000 and the odds of a malfunction would be like 1/10,000 so if you multiply the two you are at 1.25E^-10.
No!

First, the likelihood of a malfunction is much, much higher than that' if you carry a semiautomatic. Participate in a training course, or just watch a few.

Second, while the likelihood of one ever needing a firearm on any given day is far, far less than remote, the likelihood of needing one during one's lifetime is much hither than that. And there is some possibility that one may have to fire it. And, of course, the potential consequences of not having a firearm if you do need it are extremely severe.

Third, that's not the way to look at it. You need to look at the conditional probability--the probability that if you do need to defend yourself with deadly force, you will need a second firearm. One should not rely on the cumulative probability.
Old August 17, 2014, 10:53 AM   #70
jeager106

Seeing as I've seen so many things that should never happen, happen anyway, I carry one on my person with a reload & one in the console with one reload.
Old August 17, 2014, 11:08 AM   #71
Sam06

I carry a Glock G26 with a flush magazine IWB in summer and OWB in winter. I have a G17+2(19 rounds of 9mm) magazine as a spare so I have 30 rounds of 9mm. I keep 2 more G17+2 mags in my vehicle.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:09 PM   #72
Dragline45

Between my phone and keys in my right pocket, spare mag in my left pocket, wallet in my back pocket, and Shield 9mm IWB on my hip, I have no room to comfortable carry a second pistol around, nor do I see the need to.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 18, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:51 PM   #73
psyfly

We, as a group, really need to work on our ability to tolerate opinions that are a bit different from ours. Gives a bad impression as much as the intolerance we criticize in many on the other side.

That, of course, is only one man's opinion.

I, very rarely, will carry more than one firearm under special circumstances.

I usually carry one of several guns I own, right now it is most often a Kahr PM9.

I can agree with the first six comments of Geronimo45: I don't expect to ever need a firearm for defense.

I might, however, be wrong about that. I've been wrong a time or two in my past.

I can also agree with the first part of Alpine Storm's analysis, although not his conculsion.

For me, it's not about the long odds, it's about the possibly unacceptable outcomes.

If I'm wrong about my decision not to routinely carry two (or more) I can hope I'll live to regret my mistake.

Best,

Will
Old August 17, 2014, 02:21 PM   #74
Glockstar .40

Talk about resurrecting an old thread! This ones 6 years old..I typically just carry 1 with a spare mag or two. However, today I carried 2. My shield in my Garrett industries fusion IWB and my G26 in a 5.11 holster shirt.
Old August 17, 2014, 04:19 PM   #75
hartcreek

I carry 2+

I like my antiques for around town so I usually carry Ivar Johnson and H&R Top breaks in .38 S&W in custom holsters fitted into my jacket but I also carry IWB so I can carry one .38 S&W usually my Ivar Johnson hammerless IWB and then the H&R in a fitted holster in my jacket and then use the second holster for a H&R in .32 S&W. or I may substitute a .38 S&W Webbley or something else. I carry quick loader for what ever I am carrying on a given day

I also have shoulder rigs that I can customize to carry any of my black powder C&Bs or my 624 or my Automag.

What I carry depends on where I am going on any individual day and what I am driving.
Closed Thread