The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which would YOU take in the deal?
BRAND NEW Winchester 24" 12ga of unknown model? 3 21.43%
BRAND NEW Mossberg 20" 12GA mystery model? 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2, 2007, 07:00 PM   #1
FS2K

Advice on what advice to give: Winchester or Mossberg?

OK one of my workers has come across a deal that he's thinking about doing, but there's a catch.

What my worker wants is this guys CETME .308 rifle, but the guy refuses to sell it alone and told my worker in order to get the CETME he would have to buy a shotgun along with it.

Lame...I know. but stay with me. LOL!

Both guns are in new un-used condition and the guy wants $850.00 firm. This is where it gets interesting: (keep in mind that this is the only imformation I GOT too.)

The guy has a couple of shotguns to choose from. 1). A Winchester 12GA with a 24" ribbed barrel with rifle sights on it, and synthetic black furniature. While the gun is in new condition the guy told him that this particular model has been discontinued.

Next, the guy has a pair of Mossbergs, also 12GA and also dressed with black plastic. He "thinks" they have 20" barrels on them but other than that he doesn't know anything.

I asked my worker: "Pistol Grip?" I got: "I dunno".

I asked him: "How many shots in each?" I got: "Uh...I dunno."

"No numbers?"

"Nope"

"You didn't ask?"

"I forgot. The way I figured, if it wasn't a Remington 870 I didn't want it anyway."

I suppose that makes sense in some weird surreal way.

Anyway, based on this limited info, which Shotgun would YOU take if you had selling it in mind? (To get the most money back to make the CETME buy a good deal?)

Or should he just avoid they whole thing?

Not knowing much about either Winchesters or Mossbergs I told him I think he could get more for the Mossberg. What do you think?

(And yes, I know this is a stupid question, but that's how I received it! LOL!)
Old September 2, 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
.351winchester

If you got a 3 year old Shotgun News or Gun List somewhere, have the buyer show him those 300. Cetmes just a few years ago. He wants a rifle at a fair price, not a good price for a rifle and shotgun. The buyer if anyone, is supposed to dicker and play hardball, not the seller.

I'd imagine the Winny has better resale
Old September 3, 2007, 05:23 AM   #3
GATMOG

mossy 20"!!

then we can be twins!!

Old September 4, 2007, 02:34 AM   #4
FS2K

That's a cool picture!

Old September 4, 2007, 07:41 PM   #5
GATMOG

thanks! i just found out mine is an 18.5 though..

but many 20" bbls are threaded for chokes...with some luck that is one of them--which would make it just that much more useful!

please do let us know which one he chooses
Old September 4, 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
oldbillthundercheif

My birdgun is a Winchester 1300. It's a damn nice shooter with a real slick action. Swings like a champ as well.

My new house shotgun is a Mossberg 500A "special purpose". It's also a damn nice shooter but the action is not as slick. The upside is that it will probably break in and it makes a much more typical shotgun sound when the action is worked... more of a "rackitychacka" than the 1300's "swooshclick".

Without more info, all I can say is that the Winchester is probably a bit more refined while the Mossberg is probably more of a purist's idea of a shotgun. If the Winchester is a 1897 or the Mossberg is super sporty or something, that broad generalization could reverse.

See if you can milk some model numbers out of him and I bet you will get better advice.
Old September 4, 2007, 11:11 PM   #7
GATMOG

oldbillthunderchief, that is the second time today I've heard the winchester is that smooth--I was at a walmart a few minutes ago getting a silicone treated sock for my mossberg when someone claimed that the 1300 practically racks itself open on firing (which apparently is a good thing)

its a shame i never see any on my usual rounds of gun seeking..

OP: I dont think your friend would be going wrong with either shotgun..Its all about which one fits him best
EDIT (that is if both of them are the above mentioned guns, i know little to nothing about other models)

EDIT AGAIN: It probably wont matter as things seldom break on these pump guns, but winchester is out of business--which could cause some difficulty in attaining replacement parts/warrantee service. Like I said, not *really* a big deal but worth noting.
Old September 5, 2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Picher

Your friend should try both shotguns and see which fits him better. They're both OKAY guns.

Picher