The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 15, 2006, 01:24 PM   #1
ropes_71

opinions on Browning A-Bolt, Remington 700 CDL, Sako 75

Hi everyone,

I am looking for opinions on the Browning A Bolt, Remington 700 CDL, Sako 75. If you have purchased one of these please let me know what you think about them. How was the trigger, bolt, accuracy, safety operation, etc.? And if you have done anything to improve them and how much improvement did you see? Caliber I am looking at is 30.06 and a left handed action.

Thank you for any and all responses.
Old June 15, 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Clayfish

I love my A-bolt and would not trade it for any of the afformentioned s. The fit and finish are perfect, accuracy is great, The adjustable trigger is great. IMHO browning makes a wonderfull and i will not own another hunting that is not a Browning.
Old June 24, 2006, 06:49 PM   #3
bstenson

A-Bolt

I have an 30.06 A-Bolt with boss. It is an outstandingly accurate rifle. With my hand loads I have had many 3 shot groups that could be covered with a dime I have killed several dear with it. I use the non-ported boss attachment for hunting. I use the ported attachtment for load development. Currently I am using 60 grains of reloader 19 with a 165 grain Hornady boattail.
Old June 24, 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Scorch

When I used to sell guns, I recommended the A-Bolt to a lot of folks over the Remington. I think the A-Bolt is better than the Remington. Everyone I know that has a Browning loves it. That said, I really like the Sako, and they are extremely accurate and reliable, but they make a heavy piece of wood for their rifles.
Old June 24, 2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Another BOSS A-bolt here. I got it when I was considering the frame for an ersatz scout rifle before the Styer came out. The 120 degree bolt was the attraction, for speed.

The bolt mechanism proved too stiff for Cooper-style super-rapid operation. That might be improved with some additional work, but cocking has to occur in a shorter space, so there is a limit to it. The accuracy and weight are reasonable. The rubberized bedding in the synthetic stock seems to work as intended. The trigger is just fine.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 25, 2006, 12:32 PM   #6
buckster

Good rifle

Another A-bolt in 7mm WSM. Half inch and under at 100 yds. I don't recommend a synthetic stock, they transmit too much recoil, but the wood stocks are good. Trigger adjustment is a breeze. Once you learn the push feed bolt action they work great.There aren't too many after market stocks though; [Boyds, A.I.] Remington's are the most convertible and are accurate. Don't know about Sako.
Old June 25, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Fremmer

I'll vote for the Remington. Remington make a reliable, accurate gun. The only thing I did to mine was have the Smith lighten the trigger to about 3 1/2 pounds. This is the second Remington I've owned, and both are capable of more accuracy than my shooting skills will allow. The Remington will be slightly less expensive than the Browning, and much less expensive than the Sako.

But you can't go wrong with any of those brands. Buy the one that fits and feels the best to you.
Old June 26, 2006, 05:49 PM   #8
Freakdaddy

I had a .300 Win Mag Stainless Stalker left hand. Adjustable trigger, short bolt throw, quality craftsmanship...absolutely great gun. I also like the detachable magazine design better than the Remingtons. The only reason I sold it was because it was a pre-BOSS model. I bought my wife the BAR with the BOSS in a .270 and it is a really nice system. The only reason I haven't replaced it is because now I'm holding out for the Duratouch coating and Browning keeps dragging their feet LOL!

I bought my son a 700 Mountain Rifle DM in .260, same action as CDL. It is an accurate gun but heavier trigger pull and you have to pay a gunsmith to fix it if you're not competent in doing this. Sometimes my son has a tough time getting both sides of the detachable magazine seated properly. He is young but it isn't as user friendly as the Browning's design. Also, the craftsmanship isn't as good as the Browning's. Not saying it is bad, it's just the little things you notice after owning Brownings.

I've never shot/owned a Sako, but have thought about it. I've heard good things about them from people who've owned them. After seeing a gun test by Craig Boddington in a Guns & Ammo magazine where he tested 5 different 75's in various calibers, I wasn't real impressed with the accuracy of these guns. Not that they were bad, but for the money, I would expect better.

Being a fellow southpaw shooter and knowing our limited selection, I'd definately go with the Browning. IMHO, they are the best production rifles and shotguns out there.

Alan
Old June 27, 2006, 03:31 PM   #9
ropes_71

Good feedback

This has been pretty good feedback from you guys. I really appreciate it. Keep it coming.
Old July 10, 2006, 08:37 AM   #10
skinnysarge79

Ropes, while Browning and Sako make fine rifles, I've always been a Remington fan. My 700ADL cheapy has taken deer in 3 states with zero problems. If you're looking for something in 30-06, my wife just bought me a 700CDL Limited for my birthday, and I was floored by the looks. It's a real peice of art. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it, but I expect it will perform like my other Remington's. Here's a link, I suggest checking it out.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ited_specs.asp
Old July 11, 2006, 01:39 AM   #11
Anthony Terry

i recently felt out alot of rifles...ruger 77, remmy 700, savage, etc. then i tried the a-bolt medallion. the a-bolt was created by the hands of god! beautiful gun. action was smoother than the others. its glass bedded and free floated. awesome trigger! and affordable. i ordered the a-bolt medallion in 30-06