The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 29, 2002, 08:15 PM   #1
BEARMAN

model 12 year of manufacture ?

A friend asked me to find out years of manufacture of a couple of Winchesters. The model 94 was easy as I had a magazine that listed all the serial #,s and years they were made. The 12 guage model 12 takedown was a different story. The library had a book on Winchester,s , but it was a very early edition and they didn't consider the Model 12 as collectable at that time. So maybe you can help, the Model 12,s serial # is 223xxx , would like the year it was made and maybe a ballpark value for a good shooter in good to fair condition. Thank you, BEARMAN.
Old October 29, 2002, 08:37 PM   #2
Old Fuff

According to my reference your friend’s Winchester model 12 was made in 1920. They made 26,189 of them that year. Value would depend on the gun’s condition and any alteration that might have been made to it. In general non-factory alterations reduce the value. Where you are located makes a difference too. Look around at local gun shops or gun shows and try to find another one like this gun and see what the asking price is. Also watch to see if it moves or not.