Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 26, 2002, 06:24 PM   #1
mr. pitiful

thoughts on Ladysmith?

PRO"S

Beautiful gun.

feels great in my hand.

love the grips.

good trigger (on the one I played with anyway)

CONS

says "LADYSMITH" right on it, UUUUHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

should I get it and when people ask to see it, just hold the NON LS side up?

Should I be secure enough in my manhood and say, "its a gun, so who cares about the name"
or will I start watching the home decorating channel and asking if my a** looks fat in this pair of pants. (not that theres anything wrong with that.)
Old June 26, 2002, 08:01 PM   #2
J.R. Bob Dobbs

I succombed to the siren song of a 65LS. It's a great gun, and the only 3" fixed sight .357 that Smith makes. I also like the beadblasted finish. I sure don't care for the "Ladysmith" engraving, though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sw65.jpg (125.5 KB, 201 views)
Old June 26, 2002, 08:02 PM   #3
KEN CHAVEZ

Mr.Pitiful

You never said what model it is and how much it is going to co$t.

I could never understand why S&W ever wanted to inscribe Lady Smith on the side of a gun. I would think it would just make it harder to sell the gun if you ever want to sell it. It must be a great marketing strategy, they have been doing this for many years, and still do.

If you are getting a great deal, and I mean it better be a steal. Go ahead and buy the gun, just don't carry it in your purse. Just yoken!
Old June 26, 2002, 10:07 PM   #4
mr. pitiful

I do not remember the model #, the gun just "felt right" in my hands. The one in the store was something like $429.99, but I found another one brand new on line for $350.00. I just wasnt sure wheather or not I would be kicked out of ManLand or not. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who finds this gun attractive. I think if I had the hamer spur taken off and converted to DA only, it would be a much more comfortable summer carry gun. In the light to heavy jacket seasons and on my own personal time, I carry a custom officers model 45 acp, but I have to have my blue collar work shirt tucked in and figure a belly band with this gun would be nice. I concidered the centenial and air weight 642 and others, but this gun has a better trigger and is a beautiful gun. Sometmes I wear a gov. 380, but the safety rubs on my skin. And besides, I hate the tuckabe holsters. This could be beauty and comfort, along with the versatility of shooting 38's or 357's.

mr. pitiful
Old June 26, 2002, 10:22 PM   #5
alamo

The 65LS is a great gun, love the 3" barrel. I bought one for my wife, wish I had one
Old June 26, 2002, 10:25 PM   #6
Brian Williams

A guy on the S&W forum
http://www.smith-wessonforum.com
used flitz or a lead away cloth and polished the engraving off and put on some spegel boot grips
kinda gave it a sex change

it was a mod 65ls
Old June 26, 2002, 10:30 PM   #7
OldFart

So do what I do with the M60LS: it's my wifes gun...I'm just getting it broken in for her...yeah, that's the ticket.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:04 PM   #8
RogerC

That link only goes to the forum's opening page.

Here is the gun:

I used Kleanbore Lead Free cloths. You know, the little yellow cloth that works so well on stainless guns for removing powder rings from cylinders.

It took about an hour of rubbing, and maybe 4 or 5 two inch squares of cloth to get the Logo removed. I have cleaned the gun a couple more times, and it just keeps looking better and better.

You have to do the whole gun because of the bead blast finish.
Polish evenly and not just on the Logo. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Personally I hate bead blast finish. It shows every dirty fingerprint and tends to show "scuff marks" very easily.

The bead blast finish is not very deep, and soon a satiny polish is revealed. The more you polish, the better it gets. Park your butt in front of the TV and rub away!!

It was more of an experiment than anything else. The fact that it said LadySmith wasn't going to make me start using the ladies room.

BTW. If you can find one like mine, with the firing pin on the hammer, you will really love it. It has the old Smith "feel". Great trigger. Not as heavy as most guns. Lighter springs are already in it. I had to swap out the factory grips for Spegels for my large paws.

It is my idea of a perfect carry revolver. 3 inch barrel K frame.
Old June 27, 2002, 01:05 AM   #9
blades67

Grow some stones and deal with the fact that it has "Lady Smith" printed on it.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old June 27, 2002, 04:06 AM   #10
RogerC

Why would you think he needs to "grow" anything?
Old June 27, 2002, 09:06 AM   #11
Eric Larsen

Are you talking about this? I got a Hogue Bantam boot grip for it.
Looks just like the other 60's now...just for pocket carry. The wook grips are still much easier on you with full house loads.
Shoot well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladyhume.jpg (102.4 KB, 146 views)

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old June 27, 2002, 09:51 AM   #12
22lovr

For heaven's sake.......

BUY IT! I've also admired the Lady Smith and would have no problem overlooking the logo. One of the better-finished, lighter, and ergonomically nice .357 revos out there.
Old June 27, 2002, 10:50 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never mind the logo. If you want it, buy it.
Old June 27, 2002, 01:04 PM   #14
BigG

Ouch! Hey, that thing KICKS!

The one I saw had beautiful tiny smooth rosewood grips on it. Looked like a S/S K frame 357 with fixed sights. Imagine the Lady turned it in right after the first time she pulled the trigger.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 27, 2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Raider

If all you have to worry about is whether the name "Lady Smith" is going to hurt your manful image then you're welcome to a handful of my troubles to worry about. LOL!!! Seriously, I doubt if the bad guy is going to notice the pretty logo when you point the revolver at him and anybody else, you can just tell them that its former owner was a ... lady named Smith ... who had her name engraved on it.

I have a S&W Mod 13 (blued version of the LS) and my wife has the stainless Mod 65. Both are fitted with Craig Spegal boot grips (even the wife with her small hands hates those "Itty bitty wood splinters that come on it". The feel, pointability and concealibility of the revolver combined with 38/357 capability make it a joy to carry and practice with. They're keepers in our book.

BTW, if you can get a new one for $350, grab it!!! New ones in our neck of the woods run in excess of $450.

Our advice, make "Lady Smith" your new girlfriend and enjoy her.

Best

Raider
Old June 27, 2002, 04:00 PM   #16
mr. pitiful

Thanks all, if it is still available I will get it, if not, Iwill put the one in the store on layaway. It is great to have a forum like this to ask questions, oppinions, and give each other a god hearted ribbing.

mr. pitiful
Old June 27, 2002, 04:52 PM   #17
Omaha-BeenGlockin

At least its not a hot pink plastic frame like on a .45 I saw awhile back.
-------Metallica
Old June 27, 2002, 08:19 PM   #18
Eric Larsen

And what is wrong with the PINK 45? ok....just kidding!
Shoot well

Old June 28, 2002, 02:15 PM   #19
Eric Larsen

SOLD! To mr. pitiful ...hope you like it. Or she likes it
Shoot well

Old June 28, 2002, 02:34 PM   #20
Merkava

Thats the ideal carry wheelgun

I have a 3-inch 65 and 3-inch 66 the 65 of course has fixed sights and no ejector rod shroud my ideal piece would be fixed sights and the shroud, voila the Ladysmith however I can't have a gun saying "Ladysmith" (no offense to those who do) I wish S&W would just make a fixed sight 3 inch 66 which is all this is, albeit with a nicer finish.

Actually I like the original factory wood grips on these I've stocked up as they don't come on the pistols anymore - been meaning to try some Uncle Mike's that aren't too grotesque for the lines of the gun (unlike those hideous giant Hogues on the new roundbutt L frames).
Old June 28, 2002, 03:46 PM   #21
BrianB

Even scarier than the .357 lady smith, I saw a Lady Smith 3" .44 mag in the rod and gun club when I was stationed in Berlin....

Let's see...short barrel, tiny grips...ouch
Old June 28, 2002, 04:10 PM   #22
BigG

44 Maggie Lady

Yeowtch!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 28, 2002, 06:55 PM   #23
ratta tat tat

If anyone gives you any trouble.....just whack em over their head with your purse!