The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 29, 2017, 11:41 PM   #1
rjinga

FTF with Wolf Polyformance Steel-cased Ammunition, or a Defective Magazine, or…?

I’ve inserted surplus G3 magazines with Wolf Polyformance steel-cased ammunition into my PTR 91 GI about 12 to 14 times over the last two range trips. Three different times, when I tried to charge the rifle, the bolt did not strip off a round as it went forward.

The bolt would stay partially open (like it was hung up) until I’d start to remove the magazine, and then it would close. One time, it did pick up a round as I was removing the magazine. Another time it did not; and, I don’t remember what happened the third time.

During that time I’ve used at least two, probably three, and maybe four different magazines. I don’t have them marked, so it is possible that the FTFs all happened with the same magazine. However, even if it is the same mag, I don’t think it’s happening every time I use that particular one.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the FTFs have not happened with a full magazine, but usually when I only had five rounds loaded, if that could be making a difference. And, I’ve never had a FTF, so far, when the rifle is cycling rounds.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old May 30, 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
PlatinumCore16

Sounds like one of your mags. Mark em and experiment. Since this is a PTR, I'm kind of surprised to hear that, but since the rifle style has had several iterations, aka CETME, G3 versions, HK91 and now PTR91 and C308, I wouldn't be surprised that one of your mags isn't exactly the same as the rest. Just that the PTR has the trouble.