The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 30, 2014, 06:20 PM   #26
Jim243

Quote:
I am glad she successfully defended herself in spite of doing nearly everything wrong,
She must have done something right, everyone is still breathing. Maybe less training might result in fewer shootings.

Jim

Her nails were done for the staged photos.
Old September 30, 2014, 10:33 PM   #27

Well lets see .The Police have received more training than most gun owners Plus they have to qualify 1 or 2 times a year . Yet in almost every shooting they throw a lot more lead and many more misses . Than the untrained man or women defending their home or their self on street or in a store.

Watch Police shootings on u tube . Its lets see how fast can empty the mag .

I think most cops should be packing a 6 shot revolver. Not a 15 shot semi auto. Maybe they would learn to hit what they shoot at. They also need to be trained to be a little less trigger happy. To many people now days getting shot That really haven't done anything to get shot .

In other words untrained or little training citizen. Hit better when shooting in self defense than the so called professional LEO . Why is that?

Maybe these citizens that have no or little training should be instructing the police.

What you have said is so wrong on so many different levels, I wouldn't even begin to know where to start to offer up a rebuttal.

Having said that, I'll just leave it at that and safely assume you have no idea as to what you are saying.

Unbelievable...............
Old September 30, 2014, 10:44 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t
...In other words untrained or little training citizen. Hit better when shooting in self defense than the so called professional LEO . Why is that...
What you have said is so wrong on so many different levels, I wouldn't even begin to know where to start to offer up a rebuttal.

Having said that, I'll just leave it at that and safely assume you have no idea as to what you are saying....
Well, I think the place to start is to point out that michael t has furnished no actual evidence that what he says is true.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 30, 2014, 11:54 PM   #29
Jim243

Quote:
Maybe these citizens that have no or little training should be instructing the police.
Frank, don't take this wrong, but that is what is going to happen. Officers need to be trained on when not to shoot.

Examples:

The boy that was shot in Walmart last week while purchasing a toy gun, the Fergason MO, shooting of an unarmed teenager, I remember an incident that happen a few years ago where a female police officer in Chicago shot a female passenger in a car for a traffic stop and the victim only had a cell phone in her hands, this and a large number of police shootings of unarmed citizens. (If you want I can do a Google search for you) If it continues as it is going, the public will be crying out for the scalps of all these police offices and their chiefs. You have to remember that the members of the city councils, town and county boards and village trustees are just plain citizens most of whom do not even own guns.

So if you can stop a burglar or a car jacking without having to fire a shot, then I say good for you. Otherwise the public will think we are just a bunch or trigger happy apes that should have our guns taken away. (Bloomberg for one)

So let's teach when not to shoot as well as, when we have no other choice.

Jim
Old October 1, 2014, 12:44 AM   #30
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243
...don't take this wrong, but that is what is going to happen. Officers need to be trained on when not to shoot.
Well, everyone who carriers a gun needs to know how to assess a situation and make a correct shoot/no shoot decision.

It is impossible to make categorical statements on these matters.
  1. Each situation must be evaluated on its own facts. And each situation needs to be considered from the perspective of the defender at the time. That is the proper, legal standard.

2. There will be situations in which, in hindsight, shooting might not have been necessary. But the person confronted with what reasonably appears to him at the time to be an imminent lethal threat must make an immediate decision based on what he knows then -- not what might become apparent later in the investigation of the incident. His life is at stake.

3. And deciding incorrectly that shooting is not appropriate will produce an unsatisfactory outcome. The Tacoma Mall incident is a good example -- an armed private citizen decides not to shoot and suffers life altering wounds.

4. All of this applies to both LEOs and armed private citizens.

5. And private citizens with little or no training most likely would be vary poor choices to provide training on the shoot/no shoot problem. People without adequate training are more prone to emotional or panic reactions. The ways to learn to make good shoot/no shoot decisions under stress are simulator and force-on-force training.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper