The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 27, 2010, 05:47 AM   #1
yotesmoker

what format for sound suppressor

Am completely uneducated about suppressors.What caliber would be the quietest in a bolt or single shot rifle? Omit the 22lr but include the 22 mag.Want something for my backyard range without adding to my tinitus.
Old August 27, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
demigod

22 mag is going to have a super sonic crack. So the host is really irrelevant since the sonic crack will be louder than any other component of the shot cycle.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3
David Hineline

Quiet requires subsonic, if going to shoot 22mag, then might as well shoot full power 308 ammo.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
BWT

Yea if you not going to use subsonic ammo, the suppressor is not that much an advantage.
Old August 27, 2010, 11:28 AM   #5
demigod

Quote:
Yea if you not going to use subsonic ammo, the suppressor is not that much an advantage.
I wouldn't go that far. Supressor on 5.56 is very cool, and MUCH quiter than unsupressed. It's debateable as to how hearing safe it is, but definitely worth it to me.
Old August 27, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Skans

I personally feel that suppressors work better with handguns than rifles. With most suppressed rifles, I believe you are still going to need to wear some form of ear protection - not sure what the point is using a suppressor on a high power rifle? And, the ones I've seen/heard always seem to be too small - seems like if they made much fatter and longer suppressors for rifles, the noise would be cut down substantially. Problem is that it would make the rifle a boat anchor as well.

I suppose that rifles that are chambered to fire basically handgun loads can be effectively suppressed. FWIW, I would really like to have a suppressor - but I'd probably have it set up for a fixed barrel 9mm pistol. I think the Steyr GB would be a near perfect gun for this setup....if you can find a threaded barrel.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
David Hineline

Whoa Whoa, silencers on supersonic rifles are definately great and worth having..

My point was that if you were going to included 22 win mag, then you might as well shoot a real rifle cartridge as it will be just as loud
Old August 28, 2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
Whoa Whoa, silencers on supersonic rifles are definately great and worth having..
Exactly, a suppressor is most certainly worth it on supersonic ammo. Sonic crack is not very loud compared to muzzle blast Most all 22 rimfire cans rated for use on 22 rimfire PISTOL will work on 22 magnum RIFLE, though you will void more manufacturers warranty.
Old August 28, 2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Zak Smith

Unless you're shooting under a roof, near walls, or down a range "bay" with side-berms, the shooter is unlikely to hear much of a crack.

Lot of "practical" long-range rifle competitors now use sound suppressors for a host of advantages.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:36 AM   #10
Willie Lowman

If you hand load, look at a 77/44 SD.

Old August 29, 2010, 11:35 AM   #11
Crosshair

That's not a Silent Destroyer, the concentric tube gives it away. Tom Denall's conversion uses an eccentric outer tube. Is that a John's guns conversion?

Suppressed 77/44s are nice. I love mine.