The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2000, 07:07 PM   #1
TKL

I am looking at a used Beretta 682 Gold Sporting and have some questions.
Does anyone know if it has lenthened forcing cones?
Can you tell from the ser.# how old it is?
Thanks
TKL
Old December 10, 2000, 11:24 PM   #2
PJR

Beretta's usually have tight bores and medium length cones. They can be hard to lengthen because of the chrome plated barrels.

The age of a Beretta cannot be determined by the serial number but on the underside of the barrels/chamber you will see a series of proof marks. Near the proofmarks you will see two letters beginning with A or B. These correspond to years of manufacture. Anything beginning with A is 1990 or before, B indicates more recent manufacture. The precise year can be determined with both letters. Both letters will give you the precise year. If you post these two markings I should be able to find the precise year.

In any event, Beretta switched to the Gold series in the late 90's. They are great guns. I use an older 682 for skeet and sporting and it's a real workhorse.
Old December 11, 2000, 06:23 PM   #3
TKL

Thanks PJR,
I know that the new "E" series Gold 682 comes with lenthened forcing cones and thought this one may too. It has nice wood and comes with 5 extended Briley screw chokes as well as factory ported barrels. The letters are BH.
Thanks,
TKL
Old December 11, 2000, 07:36 PM   #4
PJR

TKL

BH=1996

The new E series are backbored and have lengthened forcing cones. They are IMHO one of the uglier target guns on the market. The engraving is odd and the laser checkering pales in comparison to the earlier models.

I much prefer the look of the 682 Gold with the Greystone finish. For an over/under you can't do much better unless you spend a lot more money.