The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Harry Callahan

Will we get laughed at?

I took my son(14)to the range the other day. We've gone many times before, but this was the first time he tried firing a shotgun. I have an old police shotgun and also a side by side given to me after my wife's grandfather passed away some time ago. It's nothing special. Stevens(Savage) 12 gauge with a 26" length. My son immediately fell in love with shotguns and now wants to try trapshooting. I haven't done it since I was about 20 and I'll be 46 in a couple of weeks. The last time I did it I my buddy's dad let me use his Remington 1100. I got 9 out of 10 on my second try but it started to rain and we had to pack it up and didn't get a chance to finish. My question is this: Would I raise some eyebrows by showing up with the Stevens or should I save up for a semi auto like the 1100(loved that gun!)or get and O/U? Also, the trap shoot I went to was very informal and I was wondering what a REAL trapshoot is like. How is it conducted and what brackets are there?
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old August 31, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
lockedcj7

If anyone laughs at you because you're trying to introduce your son to the shooting sports with the only gun you have available, they're not worth spitting on. Sporting Clays originated as a game where hunters could use hunting guns to practice realistic situations that they might encounter in the field. I say use what you have (it's a family heirloom after all) and if anybody has the guts to say anything, tell them the history behind it. If he really gets into it, find a used 1100 and let him have a ball. $350 is the going rate around here for a garden-variety 1100 BTW.
Old August 31, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
fisherman66

Harry, go have fun and teach that kiddo safe handling. The only thing that would make me smile is watching one generation teaching another. Screw the rest.
Old August 31, 2007, 06:39 PM   #4
Rembrandt

Regulation trap shooting consists of a "round" of 25 shots per shooter. You will stand in a semi-circle with four other shooters, each taking one shot in rotation until everyone has fired five rounds at their spot. Then all shooters move to the station occupied by the shooter to their right....once again everyone takes turns firing one round until each have fired 5....repeat until everyone has completed their 25 shots. Targets will always be flying away from the shooter, vary with some to the right, left, and straight away.

Over and unders are prefered by most shooters because of the ease to recover spent shells. Semi-autos and pumps can be fitted with special device to prevent hulls from flying out. Protocol is to not pick up your empties until after everyone has finished shooting the complete 25 rounds. When it's your turn to shoot, request your bird simply calling "pull"! Always keep the gun barrel pointed down range and action open till it's your turn to shoot.

Percieved insecurities and feeling awkward are generally in the mind of the shooter. No one was ever born a trap shooter, everyone had to start sometime and learn. Jump in and get your feet wet.

Good Luck, and have fun!
Old August 31, 2007, 06:53 PM   #5
williamd

I shoot at 3 clubs. We encourage youngsters/new shooters. No one ever laughs or makes remarks about the gun ... heck, we have all been there. The important thing is to get him out, encourage. Good for you!!!

[I still go to local club with my Ithaca M37 with a Cutts on it. My H.P. gun and a hand down from Gramps. Love it ... oddball that it is on the range. Had the original screw in chokes on the Cutts!]

PS: A number of us are always willing to help/coach, young and old. Of course, good looking ladies get more volunteers.
Old August 31, 2007, 09:06 PM   #6
JWT

I've shot trap along side guys with side by side coach guns, .410 single barrels, and expensive Perazzis on the same squad. People are there to have fun and enjoy the sport. As long as you're safe and shoot properly no one pays attention to what you're shooting with. The trap shooters I've met are, almost without exception, the nicest and most cordial folks there can be.

I'd be amazed if anyone says anything negative about what you shoot for a gun.

BTW, the Reminton 1100 is a great reasonably priced gun for the sport if you 'get into it'.
Old August 31, 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I may rag on my friend's guns a bit, and they on mine, but it's all in fun.

NEVER on new shooters or their tackle..

Shoot what you have and have fun. You're welcome on my squad anytime...
Old August 31, 2007, 09:18 PM   #8
DonR101395

Like the others have said, go and enjoy. They didn't laugh at me for shooting with my 20ga H&R single shot. I wouldn't have cared if they did since I was having fun.
Old August 31, 2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Glenn Bartley

Take him, and if they laugh, it will probably be because your son has outshot you; at which point you too should be laughing with good humor.
Old August 31, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Harry Callahan

Thanks, guys. Good stuff here.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old September 2, 2007, 12:42 AM   #11
jrothWA

Everyone has started with less than ..

ideal equipment, but they USED it anyway. Go AHEAD get him started then consider upgrading.

Two weeks ago, I was shooting skeet (using low gun) a young man join the relay with 870 synthetic and poly-choke on it.
After working over to station six, I asked if he would like to try my Red Label.
for 6, 7 & 8 he smoked them all.

I waited to get a sense of his handling firearms and to assay his positions, the 870 was a little weight forwards for him and wasn't swinging nicely, my little Sk & Sk did the job nicely. Had a appreciative smile after the relay.
Old September 2, 2007, 03:30 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...what a REAL trapshoot is like...." Go join a club and get shooting then you can find out when the matches are and go watch. If anybody laughs, which isn't likely, tell 'em to buy you a Perrazi. A used one runs about 5 grand.
Old September 2, 2007, 10:44 PM   #13
Jseime

I think the reason that trap shooters are more easy going than rifle guys is because it is a different type of shooting. How could anyone not be in a good mood when shooting trap?

I shoot both shotguns and rifles and the rifles frustrate the everliving heck out of me because I dont get tiny groups every time, seeing a reactive target such as a clay blow up can put anyone into good mood.

I shoot clay pigeons with buddies all the time. Just a couple of us with a few boxes of shells and a box of clays. One guy I shoot with runs a model 12 Winchester and the other a Franchi semi-auto, I use my Mossy 500, we all break lots of clays even though some guns may be nicer looking than others.
Old September 5, 2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Hemicuda

Wow, I must be INCREDIBLY "uncool"... because I earned my "250 straight" patch with a Stevens/Savage 311c 20 Ga. side by side...

I have some SWEET pumps, in the Ithaca, Remington, and Mossberg lines, and still prefer to shoot my sXs doubles...

I am planning another assault on the "250" mark with my Stoeger 12Ga SxS "coachgun" just for grins!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old September 5, 2007, 06:07 PM   #15
dbgun

Quote:
If anyone laughs at you because you're trying to introduce your son to the shooting sports with the only gun you have available, they're not worth spitting on.
+1 IMO.

If your son can handle the 12ga, I'd say go for it. If it's too much, then you can both start looking for something he can handle. It will be a great memory for him, ethier way.