The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 5, 2002, 08:21 AM   #1
Jack19

Blackwater Training Center

Have any of you taken the handgun classes at Blackwater?

Thinking about going as it's the closest facility to me.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jack
Old July 5, 2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Navy joe

Not yet, but I shoot IPSC (poorly) there. The facilities and people are top notch, always look forward to going.
Old July 5, 2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Everyone I've talked to who have gone there for classes has RAVED about the course, the facilities, and the personnel.

You could do a lot worse. (But there's no place to stay or eat nearby.... or so they tell me.)
Old July 5, 2002, 06:12 PM   #4
super cub

off-site accommodations near Blackwater

Blackwater is in Currituck County, near Moyock, and it is about a 40 minute drive back to Elizabeth City. There is a Hampton Inn, MicroTel, and a couple other hotels in E.City. Go north from Moyock on 168 to the I-64 crossing at Chesapeake less than an hour away and there are hotels there. Plenty of hotels over on the beaches of Dare Co., but that would be a long commute. There are also some very spartan accommodations in the Currituck area catering to fishing and hunting visitors, but I think driving to E.City would be easier.
Old July 5, 2002, 07:55 PM   #5
Swamper

Go!

Jack19,

Although I can't offer any direct, personal experience, my best friend has been and gave Blackwater a glowing report. Should you ask AC his opinion, he will give it to you, warts and all. He haunts these hallowed virtual halls.

Regards,
Docbones
Old July 5, 2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Sundance

I can't say enough good about this place. I took their 3-day Tactical Handgun I class there a couple of years back. Training, People, Food, Accomodations, Facilities, Ranges...all TOP NOTCH. The Navy SEALS train there...Need I say more? There was a Sniper school going on at the same time I was there and I got to meet and have a lengthy conversation with Norm Chandler as well. Overall, the best vacation, trip, training I have ever had.
Old July 7, 2002, 07:43 PM   #7
Kestrel

What state and town is Blackwater in?

Steve
Old July 7, 2002, 08:18 PM   #8
Sundance

It is in Moyock, NC but it is just over the state line from Virginia Beach, VA. Try link below:

http://www.blackwaterlodge.com
Old July 7, 2002, 08:28 PM   #9
croyance

Navy SEALs training there is great, but how are they at teaching those who aren't highly trained pros? If we are being honest with ourselves, most of us have less training, experience, skill, and knowledge than a SEAL. Can they communicate effectively to those who don't already know?
Old July 7, 2002, 09:18 PM   #10
Sundance

Absolutely.

The Navy SEALS just use their facilities. I doubt they use their instructors, but they might. I expect the SEALS handle their own training. Blackwater instructors are superb at teaching a novice right next to an expert and both learning from each other and advancing at different paces. My best advise on formal training is to pick a reputable facility that is as close to you as possible, and get with it. I chose Blackwater because I could feasibly drive there as opposed to Thunder Ranch or Gunsite being halfway across the country. I was thrilled with my experience at Blackwater. I will go back. What else can I say?
Old July 7, 2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Bob Locke

Haven't attended any classes there, but I shot an IDPA match at their facility a few years ago. Nothing short of fantastic, and I'm sure they've improved things since I was there.

From everything I've heard, the staff matches the facility in terms of being top-shelf. Most are former special forces types, IIRC.

You could do a LOT worse than Blackwater Lodge. It's one of the top handful of training facilities in the nation.
Old July 19, 2002, 09:55 PM   #12
gunboy 3

I took a pistol course there a few years ago and I was generally impressed. If you're lucky, the instructors will be good, as they were for me. The facilities are great for shooting, but the food was rather sub-par. You can always eat in town or bring microwaveable stuff.I asked for a room to myself and they accomodated me. I say do it. It's closer than Thunder Ranch.