The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 4, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1
JimmieDangle

Permit to Purchase questions.

So I hope this is the right place to post this, as im new here and looking to purchase my first handgun. So i just have a couple questions about the form for the permit to purchase.

1. Dealer information. Will i need to find the dealer im looking to purchase from before hand and have them fill that info out, and will i only be able to purchase from that dealer. Or can i just put N/A as im not sure what dealer im going with yet.

2. Agency contact person/phone number. Would the agency contact person just be the sheriff of said sheriff department(Im in the country so its a SD not PD), and would the phone number just be the office number?

3. For past residences it says from month/year to month/year. So will i have to put what month AND year i moved to and from this residence or can i just put from year to year?

Thanks for all the help I really just want to make sure all my Ts are crossed and I are dotted.
Old August 4, 2015, 11:41 AM   #2
rwilson452

Jimmie, It depends on where you live. Without that information we can't help you.
Old August 4, 2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Pahoo

Work with your issuing agent.

Jimmie,
We really need more information as I'm not sure how this is handled in your County/State. You really should work with the issuing authority as they can help you through the process. It's pretty much a no-brainer and don't be shy in asking. The only point of reference I can give, is from Iowa. The country Sherriff has the lead on this. ....

1) We do have a Permit to Acquire A Pistol or Revolver .
2) It's good for one year and costs $5.00.
3) You do not have to specify when nor from where you will make this purchase.
4) You can purchase as many handguns as you wish, while it's in effect.
5) This permit can also be used to purchase long guns.
6) There is a three day waiting period and that's it.

Welcome aboard and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 4, 2015, 02:11 PM   #4
JimmieDangle

Sorry forgot to mention im in minnesota.
Old August 4, 2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

The actual form is here [pdf].

Quote:
Or can i just put N/A as im not sure what dealer im going with yet.
It looks like the dealer has to fill that section out, so I'd guess you do the form at the time of purchase.
Old August 4, 2015, 05:56 PM   #6
JimmieDangle

Thats where im confused. I was at a cabelas talking with the employee at the gun counter explaining to him how im looking into get a handgun he ask if i have permit to purchase, say no and all he tells me is i have to either print the form off from the internet or go to your local law enforcement and fill the form out, never explained if i need that dealer info.

Edit: Also forgot to ask if the dealer info was for the transfer permit because under the dealer part you see date of agreement transfer?

Last edited by JimmieDangle; August 4, 2015 at 07:10 PM.