The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 16, 2018, 06:05 AM   #26
Targa

My wife’s permission to get rid of it, she loves the thing...lol.
Old May 16, 2018, 06:07 AM   #27
sigshepardo

It would have to be, lighter, cheaper, more reliable, and more adaptable.

Really for my purposes nothing is better.
Old May 16, 2018, 06:44 AM   #28
Onward Allusion

It would take:

- standardized parts manufacture-able by tons of small shops
- modular performance
- MOA accuracy
- can be put together by me for less than $500 all the way up to a couple of thousand but all will have identical basic functionality

To me.... Ruger 10/22 = Glock = AR

The above are 3 of my favorite platforms. Note that I did not say gun. For all intents and purpose, the above are modular platforms to expand upon. All others are imitations.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:13 AM   #29
Bartholomew Roberts

On top of the points Onward Allusion raised, it would need a fair degree of backwards compatibility with existing accessories so that I’m not spending another $2,000 in optics, mounts, slings, magazines, pouches, etc.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:24 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

The answer to your question, in respect to the market in general, is a bullpup that is like the AR in every other way plus ambidextrous. So far, there aren't any bull pups with triggers that compare to an AR. That would include the AUG from what I have heard. The Tavor is supposed to be best, but even with expensive trigger work or replacement it seems most prefer an AR with a $100 trigger.

Otherwise, there is very little that can't be achieved with a customized AR at a fraction of the price of other rifles. Keep in mind, the AR R&D and even production is basically government subsidized.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2018, 10:41 AM   #31
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What would it take to abandon your AR15?
An M16!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 16, 2018, 11:22 AM   #32
rickyrick

^best answer right there^^
Old May 16, 2018, 11:29 AM   #33
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I have never felt that I would have to abandon any firearm, including an AR. Your question is suspect in the way you phrase it. ....

I know a number of dealers/buyers who buy these during normal times until the next political scare and then flip them to make some money. I think this is a silly practice but to each, his own. ...

Be Safe !!!!

What do you mean “suspect?” Let’s put it this way...my uncle gave up revolvers as a concealed carry weapon for striker fired. Round count, reliability, parts, and so on. My other uncle (a cop), gave up his 1911 (107 year old design) for a Glock.

The AR is 55 years old as a design. It keeps getting updates. But EVENTUALLY it will be replaced. So the question is...by what? What requirements would it have to have for you to replace it as the “go to.” You certainly would have abandoned the .30 cal carbine Or SMGs in favor of the AR platform.

If it were me? Besides parts availability? Ease of maintenance. Takedown and cleaning and reliability. As long as accuracy is maintained or improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 16, 2018, 11:33 AM   #34
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Ive had an AUG (Microtech), HK’s (91 & 94) and AK’s.

The AR pattern rifles just have better ergos...period.

Maybe its just because thats what i grew up on. USMC, LEO and Govt contracting all using M16’s of one flavor or another. Any other rifle just doesnt handle or fit as well. Maybe after a generation of Israelis use the Tavor, they will say the same thing about that system.

For me, something pretty revolutionary will have to come around before i give up my tried and true AR rifles.

True enough. I’m sure people felt the same about their pattern muskets way back in the day. And the M1 and so on. The 1911 is the only gun I see in a similar boat as the AR. Well designed from the start has given it an incredible life span. But eventually it will be surpassed by something revolutionary. The question will be...what is the revolution?

The bull pup is pretty darn revolutionary. But it has some key drawbacks. :shrug:

Old May 16, 2018, 11:46 AM   #35
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
During 1969 the Marine Corps handed me an M14 rifle and taught me how to shoot it. During 1972 that same Marine Corps handed me an M16 as a then 22 year old young Marine when I exited a plane in Vietnam. While having an M14 and M16 aren't in my present budget having a M1A and Colt SP1 are well within my budget and I have no plans top part with either. Matter of fact I have two Colt SP1 rifles, a Colt AR 15 Target Rifle and a mixed breed AR 15. If I want another rifle or handgun I just add it. I would also like a 1911 Government issue as I also had one in Vietnam. Anyway, nothing is going to get me to part with anything I have. I may add but my guns will be here for the kids and grand kids after I am dead and gone.

Ron

Not really asking you to “get rid of it.”

Asking you what would it take in a rifle for you to no longer see the AR15 as the “end all be all” of semi auto rifles. For it to be “replaced” figuratively. Not literally.

Old May 16, 2018, 11:51 AM   #36
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandi View Post
A plasma rifle in the 40 watt range(;

As another user posted...significant revolutionary advancement in the firearms tech. The AR platform is so dang adaptable. Personally? I don’t think it is all that great. I think a lot of that can be attributed to more than just the rifle...but the plastic makers now. You can mix and match all kinds of parts and sights and so on. The AR isn’t all that unique now. Most modern rifles can get a synthetic stock with all the necessary parts attachments.

But your response, while sarcastic, is fitting lol.

Old May 16, 2018, 11:57 AM   #37
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
The answer to your question, in respect to the market in general, is a bullpup that is like the AR in every other way plus ambidextrous. So far, there aren't any bull pups with triggers that compare to an AR. That would include the AUG from what I have heard. The Tavor is supposed to be best, but even with expensive trigger work or replacement it seems most prefer an AR with a $100 trigger.

Otherwise, there is very little that can't be achieved with a customized AR at a fraction of the price of other rifles. Keep in mind, the AR R&D and even production is basically government subsidized.

Very true. But parts? I mean a pictanny rail can be put on any gun. Most guns are pretty easily customized now since the use of plastic lol.

As I’ve said in other posts...ease of maintenance/cleaning, reliability, reload speed, and so on. The AR does it well, but I’m sure there are areas that could be advanced upon. I’m just curious.

Plus...sometimes...it is fun to pick on AR15 fanboys. Lol.

Old May 16, 2018, 01:51 PM   #38
Bamashooter

Im 49yrs old. I was shooting an M16 in boot camp 31yrs ago at Ft. Jackson SC and I currently own three AR's and looking to build more. Nothing you offered me would make me abandon this platform. Might be something out there I will add to my collection but I will have at least one AR until the day I die.
Old May 16, 2018, 02:32 PM   #39
stagpanther

Quote:
Im 49yrs old. I was shooting an M16 in boot camp 31yrs ago at Ft. Jackson SC and I currently own three AR's and looking to build more. Nothing you offered me would make me abandon this platform. Might be something out there I will add to my collection but I will have at least one AR until the day I die.
+1000
Old May 16, 2018, 02:56 PM   #40
Fishbed77

Cheapshooter FTW!
Old May 16, 2018, 03:28 PM   #41
Reloadron

Quote:
Not really asking you to “get rid of it.”

Asking you what would it take in a rifle for you to no longer see the AR15 as the “end all be all” of semi auto rifles. For it to be “replaced” figuratively. Not literally.
Sorry, I was a little slow on the uptake.

Wow, thinking about it my AR rifles really don't get shot as much as my bolt guns. I would likely be happy with another high end bolt gun, maybe in 6.5 CM or another 308 but I have been giving thought into the 6.5 rifles.

Ron
Old May 16, 2018, 03:55 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

I don't think an AR is the end all of rifles. Just like I don't think a Glock is the end all of defensive pistol. It is a widely available system, relatively easy to work on, parts available, if you don't know someone else at the range will, etc. Good place to start. Almost any serious enthusiast will own one or at least has in the past.
I bought four stripped lowers a few years ago thinking I would build them all by now. I built one 22 and the other receivers sit.

Old May 16, 2018, 04:23 PM   #43
Hawg

I don't own one, never have. I don't have the slightest desire to own one. I had an AK once many years ago, didn't keep it long.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:21 PM   #44
HiBC

OK,its fair to say something that does not yet exist could get my attention.But it is unlikely I could afford it,and equally unlikely that it would politically be available to me.

As the OP selected an AUG, that is OK. The OP may have the OP's preference.
Aside from perhaps economic trade/resale/speculation,if it was about shooting the rifle,I would not consider changing from the AR to the AUG ,Bushmaster,or any of the other bullpup spaceguns offered by HK,etc.

The first criteria is that I would have to be able to shoot better targets with it.

IMO,few people can shoot better 100 yd offhand targets with a bullpup than they can with an AR,or an M-1 Garand,or a quality Sharps or Hawken.

Its my opinion that being able to fire a quick offhand shot and make a hit is a critical requirement for a rifle.

Show me data that bullpups perform well in unsupported shooting positions.

OP,if you are primarily a shotgunner,there have been a few bullpup shotguns. High Standard made an AUG like one,long ago.
How do you suppose your trap,skeet,sporting clays,or bird scores would do with an AUG pattern 12 gauge? I don't think it would improve my pointing or my swing.
I understand,if a rifle is an accessory that is worn in case it is needed,like a silly donut spare tire,then compact portability might trump shootability.
For some folks.

I might still own my FAL,if it was not heavier,inherently had a worse trigger,was not particularly well suited to optics,and due to hanging a gas cylinder and the forend/bipod on the barrel..it could not keep up with the free-float accuracy of my 7.9 lb DPMS LR 308 L. So I sold it.

I don't have emotions involved. Its a tool like a cordless drill.

I generally hunt with a light bolt gun.If I owned an AUG,I'd still hunt with a light bolt gun.(I'd abandon the AUG for a Mauser)

Last edited by HiBC; May 16, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:22 PM   #45
thallub

i currently own six AR-15 rifles. i would abandon all for a spiffy 4WD Dodge diesel pickup with all the bells and whistles.
Old May 16, 2018, 05:25 PM   #46
Unconventional

I think the OP means to ask what features does the AR lack that you wish it had? How many of these features together in one rifle would cause you to prefer that hypothetical rifle over an AR?

I doubt he was asking "in what situation would you literally abandon an AR" like in some sorry SHTF scenario question.

OP, am I correct?
Old May 16, 2018, 05:45 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you "abandon your AR" you should not have purchased one to begin with,
Oh, I don't know about that... I "abandoned" my AR in the early 90s, and got $900 for a $450 rifle. Was rather happy about that.

I kept my Mini 14.

haven't replaced the AR in the years since, and have no plans to.
Old May 16, 2018, 06:55 PM   #48
Oni_Kadaki

Quote:
So far, there aren't any bull pups with triggers that compare to an AR. That would include the AUG from what I have heard.
My AUG trigger improved a LOT after I dropped in the Neutrigger. It's still not a Geissele, but it is pretty damn good, and that's coming from a guy who spent the first decade of his shooting career almost exclusively shooting an Anschutz bolt action. A buddy of mine is an AR guy through-and-through, but even he admitted that my AUG, as currently set up, is almost perfect for close-quarters work.
Old May 16, 2018, 07:09 PM   #49
gwpercle

Not very much .
I didn't like them in 1968 and I still don't .
Am I the only person in the USA who doesn't own a AR15 ?
I will take an M1 or M14 any day.
Gary
Old May 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #50
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional View Post
I think the OP means to ask what features does the AR lack that you wish it had? How many of these features together in one rifle would cause you to prefer that hypothetical rifle over an AR?

I doubt he was asking "in what situation would you literally abandon an AR" like in some sorry SHTF scenario question.

OP, am I correct?

Yes. I guess I will word way more carefully next time. This isn’t my primary discussion forum.