The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 10, 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
44caliberkid

Henry Survey

I got an email from Henry the other day, asking what I'd like to see in the next Henry. I love the new steel frame Big Boy 44 Mag carbine. I told them, that gun, in 460 S&W- 454 Casull- 45Colt interchangeable.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:10 PM   #2
3Crows

A loading gate and sleeker styling, real stainless steel and a laminate/synthetic/carbon fiber stock. 3C

Last edited by 3Crows; May 10, 2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Water-Man

A loading gate, less weight and a reduced price.
Old May 11, 2018, 08:05 AM   #4
Joe-ker

Quote:
3Crows

A loading gate and sleeker styling, real stainless steel and a laminate/synthetic/carbon fiber stock. 3C
Last edited by 3Crows; Yesterday at 10:16 PM.

You're coming around 3crows!

I expect to see side gates as that seems to be the #1 complaint.

That means more Henry's in my future.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Siggy-06

+1 on the loading gate.
Old May 11, 2018, 05:29 PM   #6
DaleA

+1 on the loading gate.

Yep. Those childhood westerns sure had an effect.
Old May 11, 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
2wheelwander

I got the same email. Loading gate was my first suggestion.
Old May 11, 2018, 05:52 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'd like to see their Brass, as in, every executive from the CEO to the production manager fired and hire people that know what the term, "customer service" really means.

My company, using our local Sportsmans Warehouse rep, tried to get a group buy with them. It was an absolute NIGHTMARE. We canceled the order and went another direction.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 11, 2018, 07:25 PM   #9
3Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-ker View Post
You're coming around 3crows!

I expect to see side gates as that seems to be the #1 complaint.

That means more Henry's in my future.
Could happen. Me become a Henry man! 3C
Old May 12, 2018, 03:10 AM   #10
Road_Clam

Absolutely love my Henry 30-30 brass. Never had a single complaint ......until I tried a different brand side loader. Pretty slick design compared to a tube feed. None the less, zero regrets with my Henry as it functions flawlessly.
Old May 12, 2018, 06:21 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

I only have one issue with both my Henry's, better quality finish on the barrels. For the money they should be nice and smooth with a nice deep blueing. For me, I prefer the tube loading, much easier to unload and with the use of loading tubes very fast to reload. But, if I used mine for hunting versus range toys then a side loading gate would be preferable. They could give the best of both worlds and keep the tube loading feature and just add a side loading gate, now that would be the smart move.
Old May 12, 2018, 08:03 AM   #12
Joe-ker

Quote:
They could give the best of both worlds and keep the tube loading feature and just add a side loading gate, now that would be the smart move.
Now that's thinking.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:47 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Shane,
Gotta take major issue with your statement.

The CEO is the owner, and there isn't a nicer or harder working & more committed guy at the top of any major gunmaker in the industry.
He knows exactly what customer service is, and Henry's is among the best you'll find anywhere.

A group buy is not what customer service means to most of us.

As for the poll- again, patience.
Denis
Old May 12, 2018, 01:24 PM   #14
TruthTellers

The loading gate. If Henry never makes a lever rifle with a loading gate, I'll never buy another Henry rifle other than a .22 again. If Henry makes said loading gate, I'd buy a .357 Mag and maybe a .45 Colt so long as it's strong enough to handle the hot loads the 1892's can.

Offer some parts that I can swap out with existing Henry rifles so I can shoot .38 Short Colt in .357 Mag, .32 ACP in .327, .45 Cowboy Special in .45 Colt, etc. so I can increase the capacity of the tube magazine.

Make a revolver. I think Henry is planning on doing this sometime in the next few years anyway, but it's something I'd like to see them do. Don't just make an SAA clone, it won't compete with Colt, Uberti, and the Rugers on the market anyway. No, I think it's high time somebody made reproductions of the Merwin-Hulbert.

The Merwin-Hulbert design is very modular, barrels can be changed out easily, cylinders too. Offer two or three different frame sizes, make them in .22, .327, .357, .44, and .45, offer lots of barrel lengths with options of either the classic fixed front sight or removable front sights, and make them in SA, DAO, and DA/SA.

Lastly, Burgess folding shotgun.
Old May 12, 2018, 01:32 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

The MH will never happen.
Too limited a market & too complicated to produce at an affordable price.
Denis
Old May 12, 2018, 01:55 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
The MH will never happen.
Too limited a market & too complicated to produce at an affordable price.
Denis
Henry's rifles today are around $650 for basic lever action. Affordable compared to other lever rifles that cost twice as much, but not exactly cheap and it's not without sacrificing the loading gate.

For a unique, new to market revolver, I can see $8-900 being reasonable and affordable. If at $900 Henry can't make a profit off an MH repro, then something's wrong on the manufacturing side of things. It doesn't have to be an exact copy, just retain the extraction/ejection system and if a few internals need to be tweeked for cost reduction, so be it.

Probably will never happen tho because the Mewin Hulberts weren't in enough of them Westerns 60 years ago.
Old May 12, 2018, 02:09 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

The last try on the always-doomed-to-fail MH project priced them domestically at between $1400-$2000.

There is no way in hell Henry could sell one at a profit for $900.

R&D would be an expensive waste of time & money for a gun the market would not support.

Don't you think if an MH were feasible, either in production or demand, the Italians would have done it long ago?

Back when the MH people were trying to put it together & talking it up at SHOT, Uberti reps dropped into the booth to look, said "Interesting. If you get it going let us know", and walked out again shortly after.

It's not entirely due to lack of Hollywood exposure.
The MH is just not a great design, and there aren't that many people who'd want one.
It couldn't sell enough to recoup R&D.

You're talking Apples vs Cumquats in comparing the MH to a levergun.

The leverguns offer nostalgia and practical function, the MH only offers nostalgia.

The leverguns create enough demand to be profitable in lower-priced volume, whereas the MH could not possibly sell in enough volume as a thoroughly niche gun to bring it down to affordable levels for mass production.

It will not ever happen.
Denis
Old May 12, 2018, 09:52 PM   #18
3Crows

I do not dislike the hard chrome finish of some Henry rifles but I would much prefer they just use stainless steel. And while true some Marlins, especially newer ones, have chunky fore-stocks, the rifle itself overall is sleeker IMO. If Henry could kind of put some of their metal work on a diet and trim the chunky look away (and add the loading gate) I would be sold on them for sure. But, all that dribble said, the loading gate is the big thing with me. Like, "Hold Everything" Mr. Griz, while I fiddle with this tube thing instead of just sliding in a round or two through the gate without ever coming off the cheek weld from the stock cuff. I just will not give that up on a rifle meant for defense against and hunting of potentially dangerous game/animals. Right or wrong though I may be.

3C
Old May 13, 2018, 12:42 AM   #19
Bamashooter

I have a Henry 44mag with a 20" barrel and it holds 10 in the tube and one in the chamber. That is plenty of firepower on tap without having to reload. Whats with the "gotta reload quick" crap? If you run out of ammo just open the action, drop one in, close the action and fire if you need another shot fast.
I like the fact that it is similar to the original in the way it loads and not like the Winchesters. I like the weight because the recoil is very light when shooting full power mag loads and almost non existent when shooting softer loads.

They arent used in battle anymore so Im stumped on why you must be able to reload quickly or top it off.
That said, I would like to see 454 Casull, 460 S&W, and or 480 Ruger Henry rifles. Or maybe design one of their own big bore rounds. Until then Im completely happy with the two I have and would honestly love one of the new .308 Winchester lever actions.
Old May 13, 2018, 04:48 AM   #20
eastbank

no henry,s for me.
Old May 13, 2018, 07:01 AM   #21
PatientWolf

If Henry really wants to provide something unique, how about a loading gate WITH tube loading capability?
Old May 13, 2018, 07:22 AM   #22
Roaddog

Henry 45 colt steel will be my next rifle to go along with my 44 mag. and 357.I like the tube much better than the gate.They are smooth and they stand behined there products.It's not a hard choice for me.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:53 AM   #23
Rangerrich99

Loading gate, .41 mag would be nice.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:11 AM   #24
Lohman446

10MM, a loading gate in brass, under $1000 and I would buy one today
Old May 14, 2018, 01:56 PM   #25
Blade37db

If Henry really wants to provide something unique, how about a loading gate WITH tube loading capability?

I was thinking the same thing. I would be all over that!