The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2018, 05:24 AM   #1
thibaultfelix40

Grip safety on 380 EZ

I have a S&W Shield 380 which I really like. However, when I grab it my hand does not press the grip safety enough to unlock the gun. I have to regrip it. I am currently building the grip safety up a little bit at a time. Has any one else had to deal with this?
Old May 1, 2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Adizzle19

Get a rubber grip sleeve and put it on. That way the safety is always depressed and won’t cause any issue. The remaining 4 safeties on that pistol should suffice.
Old May 1, 2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Siggy-06

+1 on the grip sleeve. A HOGUE-18300 should fit.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:19 PM   #4
Ibmikey

I have the pistol and have not experienced the grip safety difficulty you encountered in fact I have not even thought about the safety when firing it just automatically does it’s thing. I purchased the no thumb safety model and would think carefully before deactivating the grip safety as this is a hammer fired pistol with nothing but the sear to hold it back while holstered.
Old May 3, 2018, 03:52 PM   #5
DanPop

I would never buy a gun with a grip safety, just one more thing to go wrong. Why in the world S&W did this on the EZ line I'll never understand. I'd love a Springfield or a 1911 in my collection but nope.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old May 3, 2018, 08:18 PM   #6
sigarms228

The grip safety on the Shield 380 EZ is needed because the pistol has no internal firing ping block safety/drop safety. I tried the Shield 380 EZ and found the grip safety to be a total non issue and it only needed to be partially depressed to activate.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:45 PM   #7
RJay

I also think that it is very bad advise tell someone to deactvate a sstry devise on a firearm, especially on an open forum. Very, very bad karma
Old May 4, 2018, 02:33 AM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

I forgot it was there while shooting & no problems or special efforts needed at all.
Denis
Old May 4, 2018, 08:31 PM   #9
thibaultfelix40

I think that it is the shape of my hand causing the problem. I am thinking I'll deactivate the safety and just carry it with an empty chamber.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:54 AM   #10
Ibmikey

Empty chamber? Might just as well leave the weapon home, easy slide cycle and all. If the safety is causing you that much difficulty change to a pistol you can handle.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:10 PM   #11
thibaultfelix40

Mikey, your sarcasm does you no credit. How is a person with an easy racking semi auto, with an empty chamber but full magazine unarmed? This type of carry has been sucessfully used for decades.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:52 PM   #12
gc70

Carry your gun in whatever way is comfortable for you, thibaultfelix40. The 'experts' who ridicule other people's choices will not protect you.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:56 AM   #13
RJay

Your gun, Me , myself and I, think you are in error to disconnect the safety on any carry firearm. You are opening your self to a word of hurt by doing so. however if your financial status is such that you can survive a wrongful injury lawsuit then by all means proceed in your endeavors.,common sense be darned .
Old May 6, 2018, 02:19 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

On my sample here, the safety only has to travel about half its travel length for the trigger to fire.

I can't imagine even a relatively frail hand not depressing it sufficiently for the gun to fire.
I'd suggest getting yours looked at professionally to see if it's engaging correctly, and even considering the possibility of lightening the spring.

And I'd also suggest working on gripping the pistol correctly.
The problem is more likely to be you than the gun.

I do not favor a carry pistol with an empty chamber, and see no advantage to it in your situation.
Even carried with an empty chamber, you'd still have to deal with that safety if you managed to chamber a round in time to use it.
What do you think you'd be gaining by carry with a gun not ready for immediate one-handed use?
Denis
Old May 6, 2018, 03:37 PM   #15
DanPop

Let's remember, everyone's choice of how they carry is a personal choice. My choice, as stated earlier is I'd never buy one of these EZ S&W's. But even modding a gun is a personal decision, I have A Taurus PT111 G2 9mm, which is a great gun despite some opinions but the trigger safety is prone to breaking. I replaced my trigger with one with no trigger safety..... My choice.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old May 6, 2018, 07:43 PM   #16
RJay

Danpop, perhaps the question should be " does anyone have the right to advise anyone else to be unsafe? " . accidents happen, even to the best trained, to the novice it is even more important to to follow safe gun handing, even one of my hero's, the late great Bill Jordqn piuled the trigger on what he through was a empty Model 19 and killed one of his best friends in the office next to his. The OP has the right to trade up to a gun that suits him he does not have the right to endanger others I am not a Lqwyer, both my aprents are married, but I do know thai removing a safety from a firearm will cost a person dearly in a court of law, in a civil suit the case would automaticity be lost, there would be no defense.. I'm out of here, Vaya con Dios;
Old May 7, 2018, 10:01 PM   #17
thibaultfelix40

Screw it, I will stick with wheel gun.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:37 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

Maybe that's the best choice for you.
Denis
Old May 14, 2018, 11:23 AM   #19
thibaultfelix40

Well fellers I think I have identified the culprit and solved the problem. There is a pin that the grip safety hinges on. Pressing below that pin raises the grip safety and the gun won't fire. There is a conflict between the pressures exerted by the top and bottom of the gripping hand. I added a little pad to the top of the grip safety to give the "safety off" pressure an advantage. It worked flawlessly after that.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:59 PM   #20
Laz

Quote:
Pressing below that pin raises the grip safety and the gun won't fire.
That doesn’t sound right. If so, it’s doubtful you would be the only person to experience it. You sure there is nothing wrong with the pistol?

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:13 PM   #21
Ibmikey

I have fired a couple of boxes of ammo through mine this afternoon, actuality two of us fired and adjusted the sights. I made no mention of the grip safety (forgot this was supposed to be a problem) we fired the 100 rounds, the pistol performed as designed, the sight was moved easily, I now have a pistol on target without any of the difficulties described earlier.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:17 PM   #22
puppyface

physically deactivating a grip safety on your Shield is a bad idea on so many levels that it would be better to go with another weapon IF the safety is causing you a problem.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:00 AM   #23
DPris
Member Emeritus

I still can't understand the problem.
If you grip the gun properly, it pretty much HAS to de-activate the safety.

I can't duplicate what you describe.
Denis
Old May 17, 2018, 01:58 PM   #24
TailGator

Just looking at S&W's photos, the pin is so low that I can't imagine putting enough pressure below it to cause a problem.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...80-shield-ez-0
Old May 17, 2018, 08:03 PM   #25
gc70

Nobody is shocked when people report difficulty operating a 1911's grip safety which pivots at the top. And there is a cottage industry that makes "speed bump" 1911 grip safeties to help people resolve the problem.

It should not be surprising that some people's hands are not designed to operate optimally with grip safeties that pivot at the bottom.