The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 30, 2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Model12Win

Beretta Carbine?

Anyone own or have shot the Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm?

Always wanted one and I've got a whole mess of Beretta 92 magazines to share with it.

Are they reliable? How is the quality? The ergonomics? Are they a serious weapon that could be used for defense, or just a range toy?

M12
Old April 30, 2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Bimus

I was looking at pistol carbines a few months back I liked the Storm because it comes with sights magazines are reliable and available even better if you already have some . it felt good when shouldered you can really get a good grip on it . I thought it would be nice gun for backpacking and home defense with a good grip and check weld in a dark or poorly lite indoor ranges I don't think you can miss .
Old April 30, 2018, 07:21 PM   #3
jonnyc

Generally great guns, but kind of pricey, and the triggers can be a bit wonky.
Old April 30, 2018, 11:42 PM   #4
mellow_c

I hear great things.

Have shot one in 40 s&w.

I really liked it and would probably like the 9mm more.

I think they are a safe bet for a do it all 9mm carbine especially if you already have plenty of mags.

I felt like it was very comfortable and easy to handle and shoot well. I seem to remember the trigger feeling kind of glockish... Nothing great but perfectly usable.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:30 AM   #5
marine6680

I had one back when they were first released and were not too expensive.

I never had a problem with mine. Fun to shoot, seemed ergonomic to me, but it's been over a decade since I owned it. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I don't recall disliking anything in particular.

There are several polymer parts, that make the controls feel a bit mushy. That was really my only qualms with the gun. The poly parts can be upgraded though.

As far as defense, that depends on your view of PCC in that role.

I don't feel any ammo available really does much from a longer barrel than it can out of a full size pistol. It may even penetrate less due to large expansion quickly. Check out some gel tests of different amko from a PCC, and decide for yourself.

There may be an amount that performs significantly better to make it worthwhile.

They are easier to use than a pistol on the whole though. More stable and the like. So they are not useless in the role.
Old May 2, 2018, 08:40 AM   #6
bfoosh006

I have fired one in 9mm... the factory trigger was horrible.. ( later replaced with an after market one.

I hated the ergonomics..

BUT, the action was a very nice surprise compared to my 9MM Colt pattern blowback.

As in easily 3x nicer feeling....

If they could some how make the action with AR ergonomics.. I bet they could sell everyone of them.
Old May 2, 2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Danoobie

I like mine, especially like having a carbine I can share mags with my 92.
Dependable, good balance, easy to field strip and clean. Pricier than it's
competition, but IMO, much better quality. Running the 9mm thru a longer barrel
gives it some leg, too. I guess it depends on if you like the looks, and polymer stocks.
If you do, it shoots as good as it looks.
Old May 2, 2018, 01:52 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Hordes of 'em up here. Haven seen anybody screaming about 'em.
"...used for defense..." Same caveats as any carbine. You are responsible for where every shot you fire ends up.
"...Pricier than its competition..." That's because it has 'Beretta' stamped on it.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:11 PM   #9
Model12Win

Thanks, fam.

I think I'll be gettin me one. I've about 30 or better Beretta 92 mags and I appreciate the low cost and availability of the 9mm round. I hear good things about the reliability on these. Just wish they were cheaper, but they're not too bad if it's good quality.
Old May 5, 2018, 03:28 PM   #10
chris in va

I've had my CX4 for about 8 years, wonderful gun. Everyone wants to shoot it whenever I bring it to the range. Disassembly takes ten seconds.

I had an older HiPoint but got tired of sending it back for repair.
Old May 5, 2018, 04:13 PM   #11
jonnyc

"I had an older HiPoint but got tired of sending it back for repair."

I'm shocked! What problems did it have???
Old May 5, 2018, 07:50 PM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
I had an older HiPoint but got tired of sending it back for repair.
My "modern" Hi-Point carbine goes bang every time I pull the trigger and has never malfunctioned in any way.
Old May 5, 2018, 09:01 PM   #13
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
My "modern" Hi-Point carbine goes bang every time I pull the trigger and has never malfunctioned in any way.
The fact the Cx4 takes factory 30 round magazines is a boon, plus the excellent flush fit 18rd Mec-Gars of which I've several. But the Hi Points seems quite solid, just looking for something a touch more... refined... and that accepts my Beretta 92 mags.

Now I hear the factory triggers blow on the Cx4. How bad are they? The thought of buying a $700 carbine only to turn about and pay an extra $200 for a Sierra Papa trigger kit isn't so nice... thoughts?
Old May 5, 2018, 09:14 PM   #14
cslinger

2 main things about the CX4 is the trigger isn’t great, but is it a hindrance? Not really. It’s a 9mm carbine not a precision rifle.

Second it kicks more then imagine it should. It’s a blowback so it does recoil. Now of course not in any way uncomfortable just more then your brain tells you it should.

Beyond that it’s a fantastic blaster.

Chris.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:11 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

I replaced much of the internal plastic on mine with Sierra Papa parts.
A definite improvement.

Good accuracy at 50 yards with a decent dot on it.
Reliable, two-mag butt cuff.

Good gun.
Denis
Old May 6, 2018, 05:22 PM   #16
Model12Win

Thank you Chris and Denis, I've been interested in the Cx4 since I first saw it in the Beretta catalog me and Dad got at the Beretta booth at the ATA Grand in Sparta 10 years ago or better.

Think my 92 will have something else to share mags with in the near future.

M12
Old May 7, 2018, 02:53 AM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

I previously worked with two different Storms over the years before deciding to buy one.
It is now set up for a take-along in the car or for use at home.

Increases the effectiveness of the 9mm, very mild recoil, can actually be fired one-handed if necessary, very lightweight to haul around.

If bought for serious uses, I'd recommend a heavier bullet.
It'll typically hold together better for deeper penetration at the higher velocities.
Denis
Old May 7, 2018, 07:06 AM   #18
gshayd

I just put together a 9mm AR15 pistol which will eventually be an SBR with a 10.5 barrel. The lower is billet which accepts Glock magazines. Handy little pistol.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:55 PM   #19
Chainsaw.

Have a couple friends that have em, one being a south paw so he likes that he can run it as a pure lefty friendly gun. Neither have had any issues to date. They shoot great, accurate, but as stated above the trigger could be improved. The stock certaily feels a little plastic-y, because, well, its plastic, but for what it is its good to go. If I were in your shoes I'd certainly give one a try, even if you dont like it the demand is fairly high on them so resale should be pretty easy.
Old May 7, 2018, 01:44 PM   #20
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
2 main things about the CX4 is the trigger isn’t great, but is it a hindrance? Not really. It’s a 9mm carbine not a precision rifle.
I never thought about the trigger, until I read other's complaining about it. Mine shoots fine,
I guess others prefer a "better" trigger.
Old May 7, 2018, 02:38 PM   #21
SIGSHR

A fellow shooter let me try his last week. Perhaps because I was in a poor shooting position-firing off a rest adjusted for a shooter several inches shorter than me-but I felt it had a bit of a kick to it. YMMV.
Old May 11, 2018, 04:00 PM   #22
Gats Italian

I have a CX-4/PX-4 combo, meaning 20 rounds max in the carbine.

Pros:

Utterly reliable.
Very quick handling.
Total reversibility of ejection and every control but bolt catch lever. (Important for southpaws).
Really accurate 50 yards and in. Groups open up badly at 100, but is still minute of man.
Full length picatinny rail for easy optic mounting.
Easily field strip for cleaning.

Cons:

Stock sights are adequate at best and mounted in permanent sight towers. A red dot is virtually a must have. Vortex Strikefire II on a cantilever mount gets you above the towers.

The blowback bolt is massive. Between the amount of reciprocating mass and the indifferent trigger, firing as rapidly as possible while keeping all shots on an 8”x8” plate at 50y is challenging. More a double tapper than a rock and roller.

Aftermarket parts and factory spares are scarce but can be found.

922r compliance issues if you want to SBR it or suppress it. Contact Sierra Papa for those critical USA embossed aftermarket parts for a requisite compliance parts count.

Mehs:

The stock trigger—not great, but not legendarily bad either.
Plastic hammer. It works is all that can be said about it.
Old May 11, 2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Oni_Kadaki

I've had a CX4 in .40 for 9 years. I liked it when I first got it, then I replaced the trigger (Sierra Papa), put a DeSantis magazine carrier on it, and slapped an Eotech onto the rail. Now I love it. Someone above commented that it recoils a little more than one would think... that is true, but you get accustomed quickly. I suspect 9mm would be better in that regard, and would also offer greater capacity, two things I didn't think of when I was younger, dumber, and buying my first firearm.

For reference, my CX4 usually sits next to my bed as my designated HD gun. The only reason it doesn't right now is because I'm TDY.
Old May 12, 2018, 05:02 PM   #24
DPris
Member Emeritus

When I decided to finally buy one, it was 9 for capacity & Beretta mags.
Denis