The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 2, 2018, 08:36 AM   #26
bfoosh006

IMHO... it is probably over gassed.

Basically the cyclic speed is running so fast ( and with it being new ) it is running faster then the other parts can keep up with.

Turning the buffer tube one more revolution in "might" stop the battering on the lowers ears.
And if the buffer retainer pin is dragging on the BCG channel... that will not help Feeding and Function.

I also make sure to thoroughly clean the chamber on new .308AR's. I usually burnish it with 0000 Quad Ought steel wool... that also makes a heck of a difference. I'll wrap a chamber brush in the steelwool ... attach it to a typical cleaning rod section, and spin it with a drill.

BE SURE to completely clean out the residual steelwool fibers... otherwise those tiny pieces can jam up BCG locking lugs. ( Remember the bumble bee video jamming up a AR15 ?! )

I would try a heavier buffer, the Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoil spring ...and strongly consider installing an adj. GB.

So far every .308AR I have built or used, benefited from all those suggestions.

Keep us posted... your issues can usually be easily fixed... and frankly the fixes will make your .308AR much more enjoyable to shoot.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:41 PM   #27
riffraff

Update:

S&W informed me today my rifle is ready and they need to ship to an FFL. Was a generic sort of message from their logistics folks but basically they must have either replaced the lower or the whole rifle.

I'd say that is great customer service so far, provided I receive a good working rifle, it was very easy & a fast turnaround with no cost to me whatsoever. Certainly will feel good about buying more S&W if that's the case.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:22 AM   #28
fourbore

Quote:
M&P 10 - buffer retainer falls out, normal or Friday built?
I though it was Monday build?