The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

LCP2 WOW

I know this was part of a post by 603 Country, but I just had to make this just about Ruger's LCP2. I have never fired such a light weight semi and was stunned by the ease and accuracy of this Ruger. it's a 6+1 380 calibre. I paid attention to other remarks and made sure that my grip was firm as this Ruger has a little kick. But being 10.6 ounces and handling like a much larger/heavier semi was amazing. I looked at the comparable S&W and there was for me, no comparison. I've alway like Ruger and they make great hand weapons.
I went to my local range and shot at 15 feet & 25 feet. My accuracy was a good as firing my G43x or my Colt King Cobra. I was carrying my wife's 327 in magnum revolver but the ammo was very expensive and as much as I liked it, the Ruger just beat the pants off of it. Beside, this was my B-Day present to myself.
How many people out there have actualy bought or rented and fired the Ruger LCP2?? How many liked or disliked this little gem.
As always, all responses are welcomed but Please Stay On The Post

Doc
Old May 3, 2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Forte S+W

I used to carry a Walther PPK/S, but at over 25oz loaded, it wasn't carry-friendly in a pair of drawstring shorts on a sweltering Summer day, so I replaced it with a Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition. (Which is basically just the LCP Custom with a Stainless Steel slide, front serrations, and lower profile sights.) I chose it over the LCP II because I simply felt more confident about carrying a firearm that had been on the market longer, and I wanted Stainless Steel for the corrosion resistance since it was going to get sweatly.

In spite of being significantly lighter in weight at 9oz unloaded, the recoil is less pronounced with the LCP than the PPK/S. Granted this has more to do with the action type, with the PPK/S being a straight blowback while the LCP is a locking breach, but it's still remarkable nontheless.
Now the LCP is my all-weather, 24/7 carry gun. Regardless of whether I'm out and about in cooler weather packing something more powerful or getting out of bed to use the bathroom at 3:00am, the LCP rides in my pocket. It's just that darn easy to carry that there's no valid excuse not to throw it in my pocket.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:43 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

And the Keltec P3AT the LCP was copied from is thinner, lighter, and less expensive.
Old May 4, 2020, 08:03 AM   #4
Hal

I dry fired both the LCP and the LCPII & felt the LCP I tried had a much better trigger.
Old May 4, 2020, 08:31 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

It's a DON'T buy for me.

Some of us followed the P3AT very well--I personally converted this black grip to a grey grip. I switched out all the springs, I tore it down to nothing.

The P3AT was tested for a lighter trigger by lots of folks at the Kel Tec forum.

As the LCP and LCP2 copy the firing unit of the P3AT, I would say the LCP2 is probably the most unsafe drop fire gun on the market today.
Old May 4, 2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Forte S+W

Quote:
And the Keltec P3AT the LCP was copied from is thinner, lighter, and less expensive.
But with worse quality control and customer service, and there's the rub.

There's nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec P3AT, but some opt for the Ruger LCP because Ruger has some of the best customer service in the firearms industry.

Also, the P3AT comes in far fewer configurations with significantly less finish options. You can argue all day about how unimportant that is too, but it doesn't change the fact that it matters to some people.
Old May 4, 2020, 04:40 PM   #7
DaleA

I've always found it a little odd that after coming out with the LCP II Ruger keeps on making the LCP.

Interesting note: just got a flyer from Cabelas the other day and the LCP is still selling for $200.
Old May 4, 2020, 05:17 PM   #8
burrhead

I bought my LCPII as sort of an emergency. Long story but I found myself heading to San Antonio unarmed. Just needed a small cheap pistol so I called a friend who owns a gunstore in a town that was on my way. He opened the store early and the Ruger is really all he had that fit the bill. Didn't much want it but there it was.

Turned out I really like it and carry it in the supplied pocket holster the rare times I need a small, unobtrusive friend. I like the Glockish trigger and it's easy to keep it in 3-4" at 12yrds. What's not to like.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; May 6, 2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 4, 2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Forte S+W

Quote:
I've always found it a little odd that after coming out with the LCP II Ruger keeps on making the LCP.

Interesting note: just got a flyer from Cabelas the other day and the LCP is still selling for $200.
Simple, because it still sells and Ruger is smart enough not to discontinue firearms that are still making them money, even if they've been succeeded by newer designs.

Besides, a lot of folks dislike the LCP II for a number of reasons, and wouldn't buy an LCP II even if the original LCP was discontinued, myself included.
Old May 4, 2020, 06:29 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

I have had, carried, and shot an original LCP since they came out. It has always been reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot well. I'm sure the II has a few advantages important to some, but for me they don't add up to enough to replace my trusty Elsie Pea.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 5, 2020, 04:51 PM   #11
Carmady

"I've always found it a little odd that after coming out with the LCP II Ruger keeps on making the LCP.

Interesting note: just got a flyer from Cabelas the other day and the LCP is still selling for $200."

The Bass Pro Shop website says they're out of LCP's, AFTER you try to buy one.
Old May 5, 2020, 08:59 PM   #12
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
It's a DON'T buy for me.

Some of us followed the P3AT very well--I personally converted this black grip to a grey grip. I switched out all the springs, I tore it down to nothing.

The P3AT was tested for a lighter trigger by lots of folks at the Kel Tec forum.

As the LCP and LCP2 copy the firing unit of the P3AT, I would say the LCP2 is probably the most unsafe drop fire gun on the market today.
Totally agree. I hate the LCP ll trigger and find it very unsafe. I have moved on to other pocket guns, but still have a LCP Gen 2(not to be confused with LCPll). Never could figure out why they changed it. Nice DAO, smooth, deliberate.
I guess there are so many folks that cannot shoot a DAO. And it seems most of the users I have seen treat them like target guns and very seldom do any fast shooting with them.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:50 AM   #13
223 shooter

Quote:
I have never fired such a light weight semi and was stunned by the ease and accuracy of this Ruger.

How many people out there have actualy bought or rented and fired the Ruger LCP2?? How many liked or disliked this little gem.
As always, all responses are welcomed but Please Stay On The Post
A few years ago I rented the original LCP , Glock 42 , Kimber Micro and Smith Bodyguard. The LCP long DA trigger was not difficult to manage but shot high on target for me compared to the others including the DA trigger Smith.

With the original LCP not locking the slide back on the last shot I never seriously considered it. I did end up picking up a used Glock 34 later that year.

Then last summer I went into a Gander Outdoors and in the display case was a LNIB LCP II for $129.99! For that price I was going to try it and if I ended up not liking it would be easy to get money back and then some.

Ended up being one of the best deals I ever ran into on a gun. The little pistol goes everywhere with me and has been 100% reliable which is not the case for my Glock 42. The LCP II shoots amazingly well too!
Old May 6, 2020, 07:16 PM   #14
Bart Noir

I'm not sure why some of you say that the LCP II is a copy of the KelTec. The trigger/sear/hammer on the Ruger is different. It is a fully cocked single action. The KelTec is a partially cocked partially double action. You see the hammer move back before sear release, unless I totally do not remember correctly (which can, and does happen).

So the Ruger only copied the concept, not the design.

Yes, that Ruger feature is what bothers some people. For me, after carrying KelTec, 380 Bodyguard, LCP Custom, the LCP II is my everyday pocket pistol.

Bart Noir
Old May 6, 2020, 10:44 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

I didn't say the LCP II is a copy of the P3AT.
I said the LCP is a copy of the P3AT. And it is almost a direct copy.
Ruger made it heavier (quality!), bigger, and nicer looking.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:26 AM   #16
wild cat mccane

No...I said the II also uses the P3AT firing unit, just removing all elements of safety that were left in it. I said that.
Old May 7, 2020, 06:53 PM   #17
ColoBill

I've had the original LCP for 7-8 years. It's always in my pocket, even when I carry my EDC, the G-19. It shoots very accurately. It does have a little kick to it. After a box of 50 rounds that little spot where it digs in tells me I've had enough for now.

The soft felt pocket holster wore out so I now have a Kydex one. Every once in a while I take it apart and clean the lint out of it and oil it some. I should shoot it more. The only time I had an issue was when I tried some of that Russian steel case ammo. It wouldn't feed. But that's ok. I don't like that stuff anyway.

Thought about getting the LCPII, even rented one. Yeah, the trigger was nicer and the sights were easier, but I don't have any trouble with accuracy with the one I have. I like the idea of the locking slide. I still may pick one up one day. I'm good either way.

Oh, with only 6+1 rounds, I always carry a back up mag in my other front pocket.
Old May 8, 2020, 08:28 AM   #18
wild cat mccane

Magguts kit makes my LCP gen2 7+1 in the factory tiny size
Old May 8, 2020, 09:14 AM   #19
Chipperman

I have a LCP I in my pocket. It’s my BUG and primary if I can’t carry a real gun due to weather/dress conditions.
I’ve been very happy with it
Old May 8, 2020, 10:56 AM   #20
tallball

I've owned a KT P3AT, original LCP, Beretta Pico, and an LCPII.

The LCPII is the one I carry. Not everyone likes the light trigger, but I do. I also like the decent sights and the hold-open after the last round.

I carry my LCR more often, but the LCPII is the other "go to".