The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2018, 03:16 PM   #26
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR View Post
The test loads were BRASS cases and reloads . I ask what the load was and was told we can not tell you .
If they are brass cases you have to beat out of a clean, new gun, there is
something wrong with the gun. Steel cases don't contract, and may stick.
but brass should slide out easily.

What they told you is BS. The entire purpose of a "proof round" (BTW, the 1, AND ONLY ONE, they put in your new pistol box.) is to demonstrate and verify, beforehand, the performance of the pistol, with a set charge, at a set pressure.
Many times there is specific information provided with the proof round, showing that very information, of which you requested. IMO, these guys are all effed up. But what do I know? I only purchase NIB guns
from reputable manufacturers, a few times a year. Maybe somebody with more experience can help you out.

Last edited by Danoobie; May 10, 2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 10, 2018, 03:38 PM   #27
KEYBEAR

Well the revolver was back to the maker at 10:20 this morning now let him fix it . If I do not get a new cylinder and this one is said t be just fine it is trip time .

Last edited by KEYBEAR; May 14, 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old May 10, 2018, 03:57 PM   #28
Danoobie

From what you describe, it sounds like they may have simply missed the final
milling stage on the chambers, or something. Should be within thousandths of an inch.

But I'm still not getting why they would shoot 25+ "proof" rounds?
Old May 11, 2018, 07:13 AM   #29
KEYBEAR

The gunsmith said the last six were proof loads but they had shot the Revolver 30 times .
This person was said a lot of things I just hope they get it right . All I really know is the six spent rounds were still in the chambers and I had a hard time getting them out . Just a very bad way to start with a new Revolver ?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:48 PM   #30
RC20

Your 4 loads you shot stuck as well.

So unless you are shooting proof or over loads , its BS. But I think we have more than established that.
Old May 11, 2018, 06:47 PM   #31
KEYBEAR

RC20 Yes I shot three or four cylinders full of my reloads 240 lead 10.2 Unquie .
Three of more stuck every time ( had to remove Cylinder) shot some out of an old three screw out of six sent cases 3 or 4 fell out .
Old May 13, 2018, 09:22 PM   #32
1MoreFord

OP, did you buy this POS with a credit card? If so, may I suggest disputing this with your credit card company. Always something to remember when making purchases.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:47 PM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

Two possibilities that I can see.

1. The six proof loads bulged the chambers. This would be very bad and would make me worry about other possible damage to the firearm.

2. They did some kind of custom polishing inside the chambers and got a little carried away. Although it's not a good situation and speaks to other possible problems with the work, the specific issue could be addressed by replacing the cylinder.

If we take them at their word that they fired 30 rounds without incident after finishing the work but before firing the six proof rounds, then possibility 2 is eliminated because they would have noted the ejection/extraction issues during the 30 round function check
Old May 14, 2018, 09:41 AM   #34
KEYBEAR

JohnKSa Believe me NO one did any Polishing in this Cylinder . I have seen some really Ruff chambers this one looked like left hand threads . I did show this cylinder to a real gunsmith he said the chambers were not bored straight (tool wobble)
Old May 14, 2018, 10:42 PM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

I was taking them at their word that they fired 30 rounds through it after doing the work. Given chambers as rough as you describe, they should have had difficulty with ejection/extraction during those 30 rounds which makes it unlikely that they would have continued to the proof test and then let the gun out the door.

So I'm guessing they didn't test fire the gun. Either that or they had to beat the cases out of the cylinder and still figured that wasn't going to be an issue for the purchaser...
Old May 14, 2018, 11:41 PM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

OR, they did fire the gun 6 rounds (and maybe not? "proof rounds", and didn't bother to try to eject the fired cases. Gun didn't blow up, box it up and ship it!
Old May 15, 2018, 01:59 AM   #37
Pathfinder45

Well, if the gun is actually a Ruger, and if you no longer want to deal with this fellow, you could probably have Ruger fit it with a new cylinder. it probaably wouldn't be free, but it might be a way to salvage the gun without a total loss.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:29 AM   #38
KEYBEAR

It is a Custom and the only part Ruger is the frame . Also I do not think Ruger ever made a cylinder as small as the one in this gun .
Old May 16, 2018, 08:58 PM   #39
5whiskey

Am I the only one utterly shocked that the maker shipped this with empty cases in the cylinder? If I received a custom revolver with cases in the cylinder upon unboxing I would be suspicious right out the gate (I'm sure OP was). About the time I couldn't hand eject them, gun goes back. Probably demand my money back and go somewhere else at that point, unless I had previous good experiences with the outfit.

Nothing about their excuse sounds right. I have never seen, nor heard of, a new custom gun arriving with fired brass still in the chamber. Not even on the interwebs.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 16, 2018, 09:19 PM   #40
KEYBEAR

The Custom Gunsmith has had the gun only five days so I have no idea when to see it again . That to me will tell the story if I need to send it back again I will get my money back . I never met anyone so full of himself .

I will not post again until I have the Revolver back . At that time I will keep it or not . I see no need to say any more until then .

This has really upset me and I need to not think about it for now .
Old May 17, 2018, 01:11 PM   #41
RC20

See what you get.

Then regardless, see about Arizona Consumer protection laws and file as well as BBB and file a complaint.

At the very least he has to respond. Enough complaints they will pull his Business License. All to the good.
Old May 18, 2018, 02:56 PM   #42
Unclenick
Staff

If you know someone with a set of pin gauges, it would be interesting to see what sizes fit at each end. If the chambers were swollen by excess pressure, I would expect the cylinder to be fatter further forward by most of the amount the chambers are oversized. If you look at the SAAMI drawing, a maximum chamber is 0.462" at the mouth, so it sounds like it is near maximum at the front of the chamber. The minimum at the rear of the chamber, just ahead of the head is 0.4598 and a maximum of 0.4638, so if you're measuring just 0.451" on your brass, I think that's just that the load isn't hot enough to expand the brass back near the head much.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 19, 2018, 01:03 PM   #43
RC20

He sent the gun back so no go now
Old May 19, 2018, 03:30 PM   #44
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah, my eye's somehow skipped that, but he PM'd me to say he won't post in this thread again until it's back and he can see how it's doing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 23, 2018, 11:28 AM   #45
KEYBEAR

The add on Reeded Custom Guns
Ts little beauty is one of our semi custom guns and is a very special 44 Magnum. It is a 4" 44 Magnum with the interchangeable blade front sight with the gold bead blade. It is finished in an all satin Vapor Honed Black Chromex with satin stainless steel small parts, hammer and trigger. It has had the Positive Performance Package done to it and is super slick and accurate. It has the very popular Gunfighter Grip with a nice set of red and black laminated grips made and fit to it. It is the perfect gun for hiking in bear country or as a back up to a rifle while hunting. The features that have been done to it add up to a bit over $1200. That plus the price of the gun would price it around $2000. It is sale priced at $1195 plus shipping.

This is the Build on this Revolver . The Revolver came back this morning and looks good . Reeder refinish the Revolver and it has a new cylinder . I shot 12 rounds and it shot and ejected OK . At this point I will be shooting it a lot more after I mow the grass ? I see no reason to bitch anymore at this time . We all know it should of been right the first time but things happen and Mr. Reeder made it right . I will e-mail him today and ask just what he has done this time . No one likes to hear his work is not up to par .
But Mr, Reeder was way over the top with his tone . Will I buy again NO

I do thank the members that did give me the support I needed at the time .
THANKS
Old May 23, 2018, 12:29 PM   #46
Pathfinder45

After all this, I'm curious.... Could you post a picture?
Old May 23, 2018, 01:12 PM   #47
KEYBEAR

Pathfinder45 I wish I could but no idea how .
I use my I PAD for pictures and will see if I can .
Or you can go to Gary Reeded Custom Guns and the for sale add is still up .
Old May 23, 2018, 05:04 PM   #48
Count Les Neins

Given the unexplainable quirk of multiple firings (30+) with a new gun, then the issue with which the pistol was shipped, I would never order a gun from them.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:05 PM   #49
KEYBEAR

I really think Mr. Reeder may have a mental problem . To answer the phone the day I called like he did was not a great strategy . I sent him an E-Mail this morning no answer . All I said was thank you for making the Revolver Right .
Old May 24, 2018, 09:44 AM   #50
KEYBEAR

Well This will be my last Post on the Gray Reeder Custom Guns mistake .
I sent Mr. Reeder an E-Mail yesterday No answer I called him late in the day No answer .

The Revolver is new now it shoot and Ejects as it should it was recoated and sent back .
I shot some yesterday it shoots great and I feel the Revolver is 100% .

With all the problems I have had with this Gunsmith I am thinking I may sell it and move on .