The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Sabre9mm

IWB for SA XD9 Full Size

Opinions, suggestions, personal experience?

For the most part I have carried it a while without the holster in the small of my back without issues, it just really fit there well, but as I have lost about 40# over the last year, it has gotten less secure and I would really like it in a holster.

TX so it would have to be comfortable in heat as well, and I would prefer not hard plastic or leather (do they make something in ballistic cloth, sort of a universal IWB?) Does not have to fit it like a glove, just hold it in place and keep it from dropping into the back of my pants.

Obviously I searched online, but I cannot get experience online, or my hands on it, so anyone has anything to offer, fire at will.

Thanks.
Old August 27, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
GJSchulze

You probably have heard this before. There are two reasons to not carry a gun in the small of the back.

1) if you fall on it, you can damage your spine
2)it's hard to draw sitting in your car or if you've fallen backward to the ground.

The IWB holster you describe sounds like it would be hard to reholster if it won't keep its shape. You want to be able to reholster before LEO arrives on the scene if you defend yourself and if you need to use your other hand to open the holster, you can easily muzzle your hand.

I use a Comp-Tac (similar to a Crossbreed) which is leather on the body side and Kydex on the other. It's quite comfortable.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Sabre9mm

Interesting perspective, had actually never considered that.

The area just lends itself to better concealment, I have tried on the side, but unless I am wearing X or XX shirts it is pretty easy to notice something is under there, where do you keep yours and is it a full size?

When I am in my car I take it out anyway unless I plan to only be there a short time.

I have been considering just buying a smaller one for CC, but I really like this one and I am quite handy with it, I would hate to be in a need for it and not my weapon of choice (or accuracy for that matter)

I assume it comes over the waist and then the belt goes through or clips over the waistband?

Something like this reports to be behind the hip, I could probably work with that.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=61
Old August 27, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
balyon85

Re: IWB for SA XD9 Full Size

Did I read that right? You currently carry it in the small of you back holsterless?
Old August 27, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Sabre9mm

Yes, it actually fits quite well and secure, been there for a solid year or so.

I played Frisbee with my 9yo in the park the other day, stayed put no issues, only concern was I sweated quite a bit, so I stripped it and cleaned it when I got home.

That said, I did have it fall *inside* the pants the other day when standing up (but I had on no belt and the pants were loose due to weight loss) that was the first sign I really do *need* a holster, or new pants at least!..
Old August 27, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
balyon85

Might have "fit" well, but so many issues with "mexican" carrying behind your back to me.

Get you a good holster quickly!
Old August 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
balyon85

Check out 3R's "Pinch 2". Lots my conceal carry xds to recall so went to find a good holster for my xd9 4.5. All they had was this little kydex piece called the Pinch 2. It clips on to your trigger well and has a rope you loop to your desired location and length. Pretty neat, only been carrying it a day now, but for 15 bucks, worth a look.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #8
arizona98tj

Quote:
Interesting perspective, had actually never considered that.

The area just lends itself to better concealment, I have tried on the side, but unless I am wearing X or XX shirts it is pretty easy to notice something is under there, where do you keep yours and is it a full size?

When I am in my car I take it out anyway unless I plan to only be there a short time.

I have been considering just buying a smaller one for CC, but I really like this one and I am quite handy with it, I would hate to be in a need for it and not my weapon of choice (or accuracy for that matter)
You made a couple of comments that were interesting....one being that you remove your XD when you are in the car. A properly designed holster allows one to keep the handgun on your person at all times, period. It is an indication that your holster solution is doing just what it should be doing when you can transition into and out of various situations without even realizing your handgun is on you. You were compensating for the very poor "carry method" you were using and really didn't realize it, IMO. Small of back carry is about the worst place I can think of to keep a handgun. I would carry it off person before ever resulting to that.

Anyway, one company you may consider is Concealment Solutions. Their Black Mamba is popular, albeit I don't use it as I prefer their OWB holster, the Sidewinder, which works well for me and the price is great considering it is a hybrid holster (leather and kydex). I use it with my XD9sc.

You also mention the possibility of getting a smaller CCW handgun. While some do it well, concealing a full sized handgun is more of a challenge than a sub-compact or smaller. I used to do it with my full sized XD9 but never was satisfied with the results. A smaller platform took care of that issue for me.

Since you are familiar with the XD platform, here is a photo I took of mine that gives you an idea of how your full sized compares to other models. Of course, the Kahr PM9 makes a smaller foot print. I really enjoy my XD9 sub-compact. I swear it shoots better than the other XD handguns I own.

Old September 1, 2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Sabre9mm

Yes, I love my XD, and the SC is the one I have my eye on.
I do believe it will be the ultimate solution, because I just do not believe I will get away with one that big all the time. M shoulder holster is great for the full size, but this is Texas, only works when I have on or can stand to wear a jacket.

I just purchased an DeSantis IWB, and honestly I do not like it, I am trying different cants and positions and it just does not seem to do anything other than make it 5x more unwieldy than it started out being. I went to a local dealer and tried a few out to fit the gun, in hand it looks like the perfect solution, IWB though it just feels weird, perhaps it is just a matter of getting used to.

Now the Pinch thing from 3r does look interesting, and is along the lines of what I had been searching for, something to keep it in place, release quick, and add very little to it, I was trying to dream up such a device and my thoughts are pretty close to what that product already is.

For $15, if I do not like it, then at least I have not spent the $50 I just tried on the DeSantis. I think I could manage to make a hybrid of it and an IWB clip that would serve nicely, will have to try it and see though.

I appreciate the time, efforts, and suggestions.

Ultimately I do realize that I have to do what works, is safe + practical, and will ultimately lead to 100% carry, and that may just be give up trying to keep the big on on me and go down a notch or three...
Old September 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
arizona98tj

I sent my XDs45 off to Springfield yesterday for their recall. I had been carrying it for several months and really do enjoy it. Until then, the PM9 had been carried for years. It was nice to move back to a .45ACP handgun and not take on a lot of weight and large footprint while doing so.

Good luck on your decision and whatever it is you end up with.
Old September 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #11
erikk

I carry in VM2's everything from 3" Kimber, 3 1,2 Para P-12 Limited & Colts Commander & FS Government 5 inch & I am in SWFL where it does get warm from time to time all stainless and all comfortable in the VM2
Old September 3, 2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Sabre9mm

The pinch is ordered, still interested in it, however today I decided to try a Tagua Sport universal. It is about as low profile as it gets, and leads to a dozen different carry options.

It fits WAY lower profile than the DeSantis and still fits exactly where I wanted it or at least used to currently carrying it, including driving.

I am reconsidering the whole behind the back thing, but I do not believe I will get away with elsewhere until I get into a smaller model.

Winter is coming, so I will be under the jacket for a few months while I figure it out. And I will still let you guys know how the pinch pans out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130903_001.JPG (202.2 KB, 16 views)
Old September 8, 2013, 11:51 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

I feel you would be much happier with the Comp-Tac that you linked to on an earlier post. I have used that exact setup for quite some time, XD9 as well.

It is a really good set up that I would recommend to anyone. Also, don't forget the huge importance of a good belt. I recently broke down and got two (one black and one brown) and they make all the difference.
Old September 18, 2013, 04:35 PM   #14
Sabre9mm

The tagua is actually working out rather nice, however the 3R pinch II arrived today.

It is exactly what it reports to be, snaps in very solid, comes of with reasonable draw force, and looped over the belt holds it perfectly in place with almost no additional bulk.

I am going to try it a while, practice drawing it enough to see if it is comfortable and reliable. Since it does draw out with the weapon, it does have to be a fairly concentrated effort as it is not a typical arrangement.

Most notable is due to how it is tied off, it naturally draws the muzzle toward the body as it disengages, not sure I am exactly cool with that so buyer beware if you carry one in the chamber, not saying it would cause an accidental discharge, but if it did, it would certainly be pointed in the wrong direction. That may change as I get used to it. I will be suggesting to the manufacturer that they create the same with a rigid belt loop / drop section and may even experiment in the future by creating one.

May get easier with experience, may just prove to be a PIA for daily use.

I can say one thing for certainty, if you are just looking for bare minimum profile, it is a solid product and reasonable for the price.

But I think the tagua is going to win in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0404.jpg (256.8 KB, 13 views)
Old September 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #15
ClydeFrog

My input...

Im not a big fan of IWB style holsters but if you want to pack a full size S-A XD pistol, Id look into these well made holster brands; Wright Leather Works, Milt Sparks, Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen, Galco, HighNoon Holsters, Blade-Tech, Bianchi, Don Hume, Mernickle, Ted Blocker, Tex Shoemaker, Kirkpatrick Leather, Alessi, DeSantis, Gary Brommeland.
Im impressed with the Wright Leather Works Predator. It has a body shield & a metal band(for one handed holster work). It comes in 4/5 colors & runs around $79.00 USD. I may get one for my M&P Compact .45acp but my SERPA is ok.

Id buy a decent gun belt too. Some brands like the Mitch Rosen taper to 1.25" in front to aid concealment.

Many TFLers like www.thebeltman.net www.blackhawk.com & Ken Null.
Old September 19, 2013, 09:20 AM   #16
Sabre9mm

I did just get a much thicker and wider leather belt to hold the tagua, it did make a huge difference compared to the casual style belt I normally wore. And heck, being black leather and full of grommets, it just looks like I went a little industrial goth instead of packing a gun...
Old September 20, 2013, 02:03 PM   #17
snolden

Don Hume 712 is what ya need. Try to find the model with the belt snaps not the clip on. I use that ($25) more than my $100 milt sparks or $90 dale fricke kydex holster for my full size xd's.

Good luck, stop carrying SOB and start appendix or strong side IWB carry