The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 28, 2020, 11:41 PM   #1
Mike38

Range report, Kel-Tec P32

Picked up a new Kel-Tec P32 today. It will be my summer time pocket carry mouse gun. Quick range report, I just got home from it's initial test flight. I bought the pistol from Gallery of Guns and had it shipped to the closest gun shop to me. Arrived on 5/15/2020. Couldn't pick it up until today, 13 days later because Illinois 3 day waiting period is more like two weeks, understaffed because of the Covid-19. Anyhow, durring the wait, I ordered an extra magazine and a stainless steel recoil spring guide rod to replace the factory plastic guide rod. Got the gun home, cleaned and lubed it, headed to the range. First target attached is 5 rounds at 5 yards. Slow, well aimed fire. The X-ring on the target is 1.3 inches, so I got around 1 inch group, maybe better. Ok, I'm happy so far. Put up a new target and shot 4 mags, 28 rounds at a more rapid fire pace of a shot about every 2 seconds. Some shots went a bit low, probably because of the long and heavy trigger pull, but still not bad for a gun that's basically a "get off me" weapon. 5 yards would be a good distance for what it is. Shot 50 rounds of Aguila 71 grain ball ammo. Not a failure of any kind. All rounds fed and extracted great. Sights, if you want to call them that, are terrible, but at 5 yards, you really don't need much. Some white paint on the front sight is in order, and will be done before the next range visit. Some 1000 grit sandpaper on the cast parting lines of the frame and grips will also be done. My hand was feeling it by the time I got to around the 3rd magazine. All in all, for what it is, and so far, it's a keeper. This little Kel-Tec seems to be a love it or hate it gun, not much in between. At this point, I'm in the love it group. For the price tag of $265, that sure helps too. Another 200 to 300 rounds to really wring it out, and it will be trusted for carry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keltec32.jpg (403.6 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 30, 2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: .
Old May 28, 2020, 11:45 PM   #2
Mike38

Second target attached. 5 yards, 28 rounds at about 2 seconds between each shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keltec32a.jpg (910.8 KB, 95 views)
Old May 29, 2020, 05:31 AM   #3
kymasabe

I had one years ago, carried it in a pocket holster here in SW Florida, eventually wore some of the finish off the slide, but ran a few thousand rounds thru her over the years and never had a failure with it. Foolishly traded it in, carried a .38 for a while, and eventually bought another P32, this time with parkerized slide, and this has proven to be equally reliable. I think they're great little guns.
Old May 29, 2020, 09:18 AM   #4
dannyb

P32 is my EDC

If I need discretion, the P32 is what I carry. Works well in pants pocket, inside pocket of sports jacket, windbreaker pocket. In colder weather I'll go with one of several .380s that I have in a coat pocket, but otherwise it's mostly the P32.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Mine took a little "fluff and buff" for reliability but it is fine now with Fiocchi.
I don't have a dwarf .380, if I have enough pocket room, it is a small 9mm, otherwise the .32.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Mike38

I forgot to comment in my original post here about the felt recoil of a Kel-Tec P32. All the videos on You Tube claim the recoil is minimal. I disagree with that to a degree. Being that the pistol is so light in weight, and using factory ammo (not reduced power reloads) the .32acp is quite snappy. A very petite woman or younger child may actually find it somewhat surprising. I've shot .32acp in a target pistol such as the Olympic style pistols made by Pardini, and there is little recoil and little to no muzzle jump. But those are reduced "bunny fart" loads. Same for target pistols chambered in .32 S&W Long, which I do have. Just throwing that out there so people don't think there is near zero felt recoil, because there is more then I expected, but still very manageable as compared to small sized .380 or 9mm pistols.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:34 AM   #7
unclenunzie

Like you Mike38 I got my P32 through Gallery of Guns, back in 2015. I got the parkerized version. The only Kel-Tec I own, it seems to get near universal good reviews. I don't shoot it much, but it's reliable and on occasion I've carried it. Shoots easy for me, compared to a gen 1 LCP. I still marvel at the P32 weighing less than 10 ounces fully loaded 7+1.

If you want to use hollow points, rimlock is a concern as I'm sure you know. Check this page for how to do the flyerwire magazine mod which deals with that:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/flyerwire.htm
Old May 29, 2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

The recoil of the P32 like the recoil of all calibers is entirely shooter dependent.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:42 AM   #9
ballardw

Recoil perception is interesting. I found the P32 a bit more recoil than I liked. Which may be more of an expectation thing because I don't have a problem with full power loads in a .41 magnum or .45 ACP.

I think the very narrow grip contributes to the perception issue.
Old May 29, 2020, 01:41 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

A sharp pocket knife will work better than sandpaper for removing the parting lines.
The recoil of the P32 is much tamer than other small .32s like the Seecamp, NAA, or Beretta guns, which are all blowback-operated guns. The P32's sharp checkering can make it's recoil seem heavier. 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper can help there.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:42 PM   #11
wbbh

My P32 is my most often EDC in a wallet holster.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:55 AM   #12
Mike38

I ended up running a sharp knife on the parting lines then some sanding. Feels much better in the hand now. Also some smoothing work on the trigger face. I was going to do what's being called the "Kel-Tec feed ramp fluff and buff" as shown on a few You Tube videos, but decided against it. The feed ramp on mine actually looks nice, no machining marks at all. It fed those first 50 rounds great, so I might leave well enough alone. Probably run another 50 round through it this weekend to see how the grip job feels. Best part about it all, I finally broke down and showed it to my wife, bracing myself for one of those famous looks, and the words "another gun?" But she actually said she liked it, and wants to try shooting it. Then asked how much ammo did I buy? Only 200 rounds dear. So she said you might need more! Hmmmmm. Sounds good to me!
Old May 30, 2020, 02:54 AM   #13
kymasabe

The kel-tec fluff-n-buff was common on the P3AT, but I dont think I've ever heard of a P32 needing it.
Old May 30, 2020, 07:41 AM   #14
jfruser

KT P-32 is good stuff, got two "His & Hers."

I am partial to the Buff Bore hard cast for social work, though the Winchester FMJ-flat nose is a good substitute.
Old May 30, 2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Jack D

I bought one in 1999 I think and it’s a great little carry gun.
Surprisingly accurate for what it is I thought.
Has always eaten anything I’ve fed it.
Friend of mine had the 40 sw version.
Now that had a pretty sharp recoil as you might expect.
Old May 30, 2020, 09:31 AM   #16
Jack D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
I bought one in 1999 I think and it’s a great little carry gun.
Surprisingly accurate for what it is I thought.
Has always eaten anything I’ve fed it.
Friend of mine had the 40 sw version.
Now that had a pretty sharp recoil as you might expect.
Geez
Old man brain fart alert
I have the P11 9mm
The rest I said still applies
Old May 31, 2020, 07:37 AM   #17
jar

I've long been a fan of the 32acp & even the 25acp as a personal defense round and 32acp is probably my most carried primary caliber. But I've never gotten one of the Keltec 32s.

Gotta correct that.
Old June 1, 2020, 07:38 AM   #18
tallball

I like mine, too.

It goes bang every time.
Old June 1, 2020, 06:08 PM   #19
Armybrat

Mine (early model with the hard chrome slide) was a nice & reliable little shooter. Traded it off towards a Ruger Super Blackhawk though.
Old June 1, 2020, 06:46 PM   #20
Mike38

Shot another 50 rounds through my new P32 today. Again, no failures at all. The deburring / removal of the cast parting lines helped, but now the aggressive checkering of the grips is showing up. Might have to rub then with some fine sandpaper also.

Carrying my all steel S&W J frame was a real pain at times. Plus it printed. I almost forget I'm carrying this Kel-Tec. Nice and light. Anyhow, if someone out there is considering a Kel-Tec P32, go ahead and give one a try, you may be pleased.
Old June 2, 2020, 05:03 AM   #21
Carl the Floor Walker

As someone that love's small pocket guns and have been shooting them religiously for over 10 ys, I have to say I was quite surprised when just about a year ago I bought the P32. I had heard good things about them and the fact that it weighed only 6oz and reading about the Lehigh and Underwood ammo. I bought it mostly as a whim.
The little gun just performed so well. And my gosh this is a lightweight gun. For me, it is extremely mild to shoot.
This gun is got a lot of use last summer when it gets so dang hot and humid where I live. A great gun for wearing light weight shorts and Tee shirts.
I do not have a lot of rounds through the gun like my 380's, now about 600, but it runs without issue. A very under rated little gun. Crude looking but performs.
Old June 5, 2020, 02:14 PM   #22
jreXD9

The P32 is what my 92 year old mother keeps on her nightstand. Good little gun.
Old June 8, 2020, 04:18 PM   #23
capecuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
Picked up a new Kel-Tec P32 today. It will be my summer time pocket carry mouse gun. Quick range report, I just got home from it's initial test flight. I bought the pistol from Gallery of Guns and had it shipped to the closest gun shop to me. Arrived on 5/15/2020. Couldn't pick it up until today, 13 days later because Illinois 3 day waiting period is more like two weeks, understaffed because of the Covid-19. Anyhow, durring the wait, I ordered an extra magazine and a stainless steel recoil spring guide rod to replace the factory plastic guide rod. Got the gun home, cleaned and lubed it, headed to the range. First target attached is 5 rounds at 5 yards. Slow, well aimed fire. The X-ring on the target is 1.3 inches, so I got around 1 inch group, maybe better. Ok, I'm happy so far. Put up a new target and shot 4 mags, 28 rounds at a more rapid fire pace of a shot about every 2 seconds. Some shots went a bit low, probably because of the long and heavy trigger pull, but still not bad for a gun that's basically a "get off me" weapon. 5 yards would be a good distance for what it is. Shot 50 rounds of Aguila 71 grain ball ammo. Not a failure of any kind. All rounds fed and extracted great. Sights, if you want to call them that, are terrible, but at 5 yards, you really don't need much. Some white paint on the front sight is in order, and will be done before the next range visit. Some 1000 grit sandpaper on the cast parting lines of the frame and grips will also be done. My hand was feeling it by the time I got to around the 3rd magazine. All in all, for what it is, and so far, it's a keeper. This little Kel-Tec seems to be a love it or hate it gun, not much in between. At this point, I'm in the love it group. For the price tag of $265, that sure helps too. Another 200 to 300 rounds to really wring it out, and it will be trusted for carry.
Where did you find a P32.....sold out literally everywhere I've looked.
Old June 8, 2020, 04:51 PM   #24
amd6547

Just before the pandemic hit, I bought a used, like new P32 from a law officer off Armslist. I’ve had a P3AT for a few years, but I always wanted to try the 32. Last round hold open and an extra round is nice.
It worked perfectly on it one range trip, and recoil is negligible.
I bought a set of Tractiongrips stick on rubber grip. Gives a little better grip than the bare plastic, and doesn’t affect pocket carry draw.
As for the sights...
If this gun had decent sights, I think it would surprise some people.
I have considered mounting a tritium shotgun bead on the slide.
Old June 8, 2020, 05:44 PM   #25
Mike38

Quote:
Where did you find a P32.....sold out literally everywhere I've looked.
https://www.galleryofguns.com/default.aspx

I signed up for the alert email they give when an out of stock gun becomes available. Took over a month, but they finally got some in. Must not have been many, because they sold out in less than two hours. I got lucky that I was home when I got the alert.