The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 22, 2011, 04:39 PM   #26
chasep255

I just went skeet shooting this afternoon for an hour. It was 105 degrees.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:12 AM   #27
Jeff22

shooting in the heat

Just be sure to hydrate. . .

I shot in a IDPA classifier match last Saturday, and it was hot & humid. I shot in a big USPSA match last sunday and the heat index was over 100, which is pretty hot for Wisconsin.

I had started to pre-hydrate on Friday because it was going to be so hot, and I was fine on Saturday. I was fine for the first 5 stages on Sunday and then the heat caught up to me. I knew I was in trouble when I went to pour water on my head to cool off, and used a bottle of gatorade instead . . . I couldn't drink enough fluid fast enough there for a while.

I had to be real careful on the last three stages because I wasn't as sharp as I should've been.

We had 120 shooters and everybody complained about the heat but there were no significant heat injuries and I didn't hear of anybody being unsafe or anything. They had awnings set up at each stage, and water available, which helped.

I don't know how the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan do it day after day, wearing ACUs and plate carriers and all that equipment.

You do get somewhat acclimated to the heat after a while but still, 100 degrees is 100 degrees. I don't care if it's a "dry heat" -- when the dashboard is melting out of your car and the asphalt street is smouldering, it's HOT
Old July 23, 2011, 09:01 PM   #28
Sharpsdressed Man

Extreme heat makes you anxious and hostile. Much better to be hot that freezing to death (which makes your mind fuzzy along the way, then puts you to sleep, permanently). Our boys in the desert are on their toes, and mad enough to fight. Hoo-RAH!
Old July 24, 2011, 02:36 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

Give me a friggin break! One talks about 100° with a "nice little breeze" while another talks about 20 year olds in the desert. No kidding! When I was younger, I loved the heat-didn't seem to bother me at all. As little as as 14 years ago, I worked at Ford's powerhouse and I was over 40 at the time. The waterdeck of the powerhouse generally posted a temperature of 140°F. Slightly less in the winter, and more in the summer. The entire deck was filled with 1500 lb steam lines. Work in that for a while and see how much you like the heat. I learned to hate heat at that job. Work for 10-15 minutes, take a break for at least that amount and don't forget to change your coveralls every time. Trust me, people that complain about the heat aren't all raised on A/C, we've just paid our dues and don't particularly want the same crap in our retirement years.
Old July 24, 2011, 03:03 PM   #30
AK103K

Give it a couple of months and the same people will be bitchin about the cold and snow.
Old July 30, 2011, 08:51 PM   #31
ltc444

what is the DI's saw. It never rains on qualification day. That applies to heat and cold.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:59 PM   #32
RW0369

It's really not that complicated

It's hot.........drink water and eat MREs...................People shoot at you.......you shoot back...........see something on the road that doesn't look right..........stop and send out bomb dog. And I'll be the first one complaining about 95 degrees and humidity on the range here and still having fun. Over there not much choice, and no point in complaining, cuz who's going to listen? That goes for Iraq and Afghanistan, and if you know anyone that happens to be there send Copenhagen, Stateside cigarettes and drink mixes. With those they can trade for anything! Especially if they happen to be infantrymen.
Old August 1, 2011, 03:01 PM   #33
Mudinyeri

Hot and sunny here in Nebraska this past weekend. My range is outdoors. If you set a gun down for a few minutes in the sun it got a little toasty.
Old August 2, 2011, 04:12 PM   #34
RW0369

My pick up has an imprint of an AK barrel the platic moulding on the bumper from that.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:42 PM   #35
Slamfire

Shot small bore prone at Camp Perry. Highs in the nineties with steaming humidity.

Of course we wore quilted shooting coats and wore sweat shirts underneath.

Competitive shooters are nuts.

Drank lots of water.

Smelled awful at the end of the day.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:14 PM   #36
armoredman

Last time I was out it was over a hundred, but I broke weak, left after an hour and a half or so. Three years at a desk instead of on a yard, got fat and soft.
Younger days, I loved it when it was 114 and higher, now it ain't as much fun.
When I was in the Gulf, it was 140+ in the Main Space, our engine room crew did 20 minutes in, 40 minutes out. AC was a cruel joke on that antique of a ship, oh well. the gun mounts had "natural AC", i.e., leave the doors open for whatever breeze may be going through. Holds had GOOD air - ammo ship, had to have that for the explosives.
I am not in the excellent physical shape of our service members overseas nowdays, and salute them for what they have to go through. I did my time in the Middle East broiler 23 years ago, been there, done that.
I have one hard and fast rule about the range in summer time - when I run out of water, it's time to leave, period. Safety first.
Old August 3, 2011, 06:13 PM   #37
bogcjg

sorry

whei love living i live it is about lo to mid 80's and get to the low 60's at night i love living at 7686 feet up
Old August 3, 2011, 10:54 PM   #38
slammedsi

Went to the range today with some fellow LEO's. Was 112 here in north west Texas. Didnt stay long.
Old August 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #39
joyrock

Me and a friend went to the farm to shoot. This was a few years back, mind ya. It was 105F where we at (plus it was at 2pm (very clear day, also)). We put 300 rounds of Mosin (7.62x54R) down range. In one hour. We had to stop, we could no longer hold the mosin. The oil in the wood was boiling out. The triggers was burning our fingers. The fore grip (it was wood) was so hot, we could not hold it any more. It was a hot day. We could not touch the bolt, it was hot. We have not done that again. It was fun. We still talk about that.