The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
the Black Spot

Walsh navy revolver

Be interesting if a reproduction of the walsh twelve shot navy could be manufactured.
Old August 21, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2
rodwhaincamo

Watched Forgotten Weapon's video for it and the .31 cal version. Interesting!

However the hungry Civil War soldier who couldn't kill a pig with the .36 cal despite several attempts at point blank sounds rather worthless.
Old August 21, 2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Model12Win

No.

It's Colts and Remingtons for you.

Get used to it.
Old August 22, 2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
Be interesting if a reproduction of the walsh twelve shot navy could be manufactured.
Not going to happen.
Old August 22, 2017, 09:15 AM   #5
the Black Spot

Yep, highly doubt it.....be kinda cool though
Old August 22, 2017, 10:11 AM   #6
rodwhaincamo

Quite pricey to make no doubt. And not so easy to clean those further ignition channels.

Something I considered was the talk about chainfires. As I'm not so sure anything would have been placed under the ball back then it begs the question of it occurring.

I've only been around one chainfire and it was with my father. He used a felt wad.

The flip side is how difficult it seems for a flame from one chamber to twist around and flow down another's nipple hole, especially if it's capped loose or not.
Old August 23, 2017, 12:05 AM   #7
Model12Win

There will never be a "new" designed reproduction revolver. Just not profitable.

The market is saturated with Remington and Colts, and that is because it is what the people (mainly cowboy shooters and civil war reenactors) want. There won't ever be repro Walshes, Adams, Beaumont, etc. etc. because they're just too obscure. Pale Rider and John Wayne didn't carry Walshes. These guns aren't on anyone's radar, and no company will make repros of long forgotten guns when famous ones like the Colt, Remys, LeMats, are to be had.
Old August 23, 2017, 01:04 PM   #8
noelf2

Quote:
There will never be a "new" designed reproduction revolver. Just not profitable.
Never say never... Every now and then, the Italians make a new and different replica(ish) gun, just to see what happens.
Old August 23, 2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf2 View Post
Never say never... Every now and then, the Italians make a new and different replica(ish) gun, just to see what happens.
What, another Colt with a slightly different cosmetic feature to mimic one of the small production Confederate contract guns? (Dance Bros., etc.)?
Old August 24, 2017, 08:58 AM   #10
noelf2

Pietta did an 1858 Starr revolver. Didn't take off well, but they did it, probably because it was in Unforgiven. All it takes is a popular movie to get the ball rolling. Other popular "never will" type statements usually come back to haunt the stater. Just sayin, nothing is that definitive. An Allen and Thurber pepperbox (better than the CMC ones) is not a far fetch. It wouldn't sell like the Colts and Remmys, but there would be some interest IMHO.

Last edited by noelf2; August 24, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old August 24, 2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Trum4n1208

I don't think we'll see a repro of the Walch Navy revolver. It looks like it would be a complicated revolver to produce, and probably wouldn't make enough money to justify all the work required to get it into production. I wish that weren't the case, but I'd be willing to bet money on it.
Old August 24, 2017, 02:20 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Can a larger frame revolver be adapted with a new,cylinder and bolt? Not cost effective tbough.
Old August 24, 2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
Can a larger frame revolver be adapted with a new,cylinder and bolt? Not cost effective tbough.
Not likely. The Walsh used superposed loads and had two hammers and two triggers.
Old August 24, 2017, 05:32 PM   #14
rodwhaincamo

And those crazy additional ignition channels.
Old August 24, 2017, 08:17 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't see any big demand for a repro of the Walch (not Walsh) revolver; it would be expensive to make and worse can easily be loaded incorrectly, making it both dangerous and unreliable.

Of course, I am on record as once saying that repros of the LeMat would be too expensive and have no sale, so I was wrong there.

Jim
Old August 25, 2017, 07:46 AM   #16
noelf2

Quote:
Of course, I am on record as once saying that repros of the LeMat would be too expensive and have no sale, so I was wrong there.
Well the LeMat was present in several movies over the last 20 years or so, so interest was peaked. I swear, if Pietta, Uberti, and Pedersoli invested in a refreshed spaghetti western genre, they could sell a lot more, and different guns...