The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 29, 2009, 05:47 PM   #51
B.N.Real

How about this.

Encouraging the individual to not act like an idiot behind the wheel of such a car.

Legislating common sense is always a losing proposition.

We live in the United States of America.

Freedom and Justice For All.

We have the Freedon to do as we please as long as we don't act like total idiots and when we do,there is supposed to be Justice for All of Those who had to put up with our stupidity.

To think that a gun ban would stop killings is sadly mistaken.

What it would do is make the physically strongest and quickest people,rulers in their neighborhoods.

The gun banners show no common sense or care for the plight of old people and women that have used firearms to save their own lives from the dirtbags that has mistakenly assumed they were easy prey.

I am truly amazed at how devious the gun takers have become lately and I have been reawakened to the fact that who I vote for matters and who I support matters as well.

Without Gun Rights There will be no Freedom in the United States.

And let's get something straight right now.

We are unlike any other nation on this planet.

For all the jobs we have bled overseas,we are still the holder of the torch of Freedom across this Planet.

So don't compare the United States to ANY other nation.

We are the Standard Bearer for Freedom.

Get Used to It,Gun Grabbers.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:06 PM   #52
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
For all the jobs we have bled overseas,we are still the holder of the torch of Freedom across this Planet.
Interesting point there...
As an economist I would like to know your connection between employment levels and freedom. Many Communist countries have run at "100%" employment while maintaining very tyrannical governments, with for instance no gun rights whatsoever.

Lets find an actual real gun that is extremely obviously not designed to kill.
I haven't found anything worth posting yet.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:25 PM   #53
Tom Servo
Staff

There's a corrolary to the whole gun/car argument that reads, "if you need a license to drive a car, you should need a license to use a gun."

Of course, the argument misses the point that, unlike cars, guns are explicitly protected by the Bill of Rights.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:47 PM   #54
wally626

Cars are much more dangerous than guns. In rough comparison the total deaths are pretty equal, for 2006 all deaths from automobiles was 45,509 and from guns 30,896. However of the car deaths 45,334 were due to accident and 175 from deliberate violence, in the case of guns only 858 were accidents and 30,034 from deliberate violence. Therefore it appears cars are much more difficult to handle than guns.

The problem with a suggested ban of sports car is that they would take you up on it and ban both sports cars and guns.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:13 PM   #55
johnwilliamson062

Once you normalize for the time spent using each those stats do fall apart. Wish they didn't, but they do. Americans average a 20 minute commute each way. Mix in a short trip at lunch, errands in the evening. You end up with an hour a day in the car easily. Very few of us handle a gun for an hour a day. most police officers and others who handle firearms also patrol in a vehicle. Many sales people drive all day and do not carry firearms.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:16 AM   #56
Buzzcook

Sports cars are highly regulated. There is a top speed allowable for a sports car and they also have to have fairly stringent environmental standards.

If you asked for a ban on high speed sports cars you'd probably get a lot of support. The vast majority are foreign made and it'd help out Detroit a tiny bit.
Old October 30, 2009, 03:22 AM   #57
jughead2

sports cars

i didnt know the bill of rights had turned into the bill of needs.