The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 25, 2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Astocks2622

best angle for dueling tree

I'm building my own dueling tree with 6" AR500 targets. I'm wanting to set it up to use with a forward angle for 2 reasons. one is so that splatter goes straight down. the other is for consistent operation so that it reliably rotates from side to side without getting stuck at the back or bouncing back after rotating.
I want to set it up for more potent calibers like 45 & 10mm, & then use adjustable feet on the front to reduce the angle to be able to use it for 380/9mm.
I realize it's somewhat trial & error, but does anyone know an approximate angle that works well with larger calibers?
Are we talking 5-10 degrees, or more like 20?
thanks!
Old January 25, 2015, 10:29 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Just some thoughts from a "Math & Physics" guy

First let me say I haven't made one of these nor looked closely at a factory model. So, my thoughts may be completely wrong.

First, I don't think you can turn your target to any angle goes "straight down" to the ground.

Second, in reading your post and thinking about the question, the first math that came to mind was the Pythagoreum theory dealing with right triangles. The base of the triangle would run from the shooter and the height would be from the ground up to the target. Anyway, with all that rattling through my brain plus the physics that the splatter will have less weight than the whole bullet, I'm guessing you would need a 20 to 30 degree target angle to get the splatter to fall very near the target.
Old January 25, 2015, 11:14 PM   #3
Astocks2622

you only need a small angle to get all the splatter to go pretty much straight down. the torso target I have has maybe 10 degree cant & the splatter makes a very straight line maybe just slightly behind the target. I get nothing coming back at the shooter.
my biggest question is how much angle do I need to get the target to have just enough energy from the bullet impact to overcome gravity as it rotates up & around. the greater the angle, the harder you have to hit it for it to rotate. too little angle & the target will rotate & slam into the opposite side, bouncing back.
Old January 26, 2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Snyper

I suspect you're going to have to experiment to find the angle that works with your set-up, since there are lots of variables besides target angle
Old January 28, 2015, 11:11 AM   #5
g.willikers

If the plates can swing easily, there's probably no need to angle them downward.
The natural left to right swinging motion, when they are hit, should direct ricochets rearward into the berm.
At least that's the way every one I've used works.
Old January 28, 2015, 08:30 PM   #6
Astocks2622

part of the reason for angling it forward is to help keep it from hanging up in the back or bouncing back after a solid hit...
Old January 29, 2015, 11:57 AM   #7
g.willikers

Ah, that makes sense.
If hit hard enough they can definitely bounce back to the same side where they started.
It can actually be very amusing, though, right after it's frustrating.
"I know I hit the danged thing, why is it still there?"
From the peanut gallery, "Quit whining and shoot it again, dummy, she's gaining on ya'."
Dueling trees are great fun, except when they shoot back.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM.