The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 1, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1
alan

have THR's "problem" migrated to thearmed citizen

Tried to log in to thearmedcitizen.net, using different browsers, not just IE6, and get essentially the same message, "server cannot be found" and or "the page cannot be displayed".

Understand that person or persons unknown were "messing" with thr recently, or so the story goes, and I wonder is the above mentioned person or persons have migrated to thr now?
Old June 2, 2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Slugthrower

I guess that there are folks out there that don't like people expressing opinions that are contrary to their personal beliefs.
Not to mention how many polls that have been wrecked by gun enthusiasts in the recent past. Could be that some other site managers are conducting clandestine operations, in order to facilitate some form of damage control.
Old June 2, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Here's all I know about TheArmedCitizen:

On 5-26-07 at 0500hrs (MDT), both THR and TAC were online. By 0530 of that morning, both sites were down.

If you remember anything about last years downtime on TFL, you might remember that Roger Alumbaugh hosted the site (both hardware and software were CoLo hosted). Roger was ostensibly MIA.

The same happened to TAC at that time.

It has happened again. Whatever the reason(s) TAC was brought down (this time), Roger is MIA. He is not answering emails nor phonecalls.
Old June 3, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
alan

Slugthrower:

I suspect that if the web sites being "messed with", if that is what's happening, were those of large corporations such as General Motors or IBM, that the feds would be all over the case and those doing the "messing". Any movement in that direction here?

BTW, as of a couple of minutes ago, THR was down again, and TAC has been down for a couple of days. Curious.
Old June 4, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

Does anyone know TAC's IP address? It looks to me like Roger's DNS servers are down. TAC might still be alive, if you know its IP.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 4, 2007, 11:00 PM   #6
alan

For those interested in information on DDOS Attacks, seemingly the current problem with TAC and THR, do a google search on the abovce mentioned. Sit down in a comfortable chair and read a bit.

My "kid" brother, a systems engineer or is it analyst type, referenced that to me.
Old June 4, 2007, 11:06 PM   #7
sanson

didn't they decide last week that THR was "attacked" with a repeating 50MB file that overloaded the server? is that happening again?
Old June 5, 2007, 12:01 AM   #8
tyme
Staff

Quote:
For those interested in information on DDOS Attacks, seemingly the current problem with TAC...
How do you know that? Let's not start unfounded rumors. TAC's dns servers are unresponsive. I've seen that happen with Roger's dns servers before. Unless someone can verify that they or the actual TAC server is under attack, I'm chalking TAC's outage up to a DNS and/or network snafu.

Believe it or not, not every site failure is the result of an attack.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 5, 2007, 12:23 AM   #9
ArfinGreebly

Cached IP Address

I have found (on Windows machines) that if I have visited a site recently (matter of days) and issue a ping on that domain, something in the system (or maybe the local router, I dunno) "remembers" the last IP address for that domain and, without recourse to an external DNS, will still attempt to send an ICMP packet set.

So, if I open a DOS prompt window and say "ping blahblah.com" I'll get a four-packet report against that last IP address.

Anyone who has been on TAC within the last day or two might try a ping from a command prompt and see if you have a localized copy of that IP address.

If so, then you can post it here.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old June 5, 2007, 06:07 AM   #10
Caimlas

I run a local DNS caching server, so I've got all the supposed IPs. However, I also ran a traceroute on those addresses; they both time out well before reaching the host, indicating a fundamental connectivity problem (ISP problems more than likely).

Who's this Alumbaugh bloke, and what's causing his MIA behavior?
Old June 5, 2007, 06:24 AM   #11
ShipWreck

Well, THR has been down a couple of days again.
Old June 5, 2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The name servers are not responsive, as tyme has stated, nor is the actual server.

DNS:
NS0.ACE-COMPUTERS.COM : 206.63.230.8
NS1.ACE-COMPUTERS.COM : 206.63.230.9
NS0.ACE-INTERNET.NET : 206.63.230.8
NS1.ACE-INTERNET.NET : 206.63.230.9

thearmedcitizen.net : 206.63.230.150

I have no information other than what I've already posted. Until Roger can be reached, we won't know anything else.
Old June 5, 2007, 10:59 AM   #13
ShipWreck

THR is back up now!
Old June 6, 2007, 01:29 PM   #14
BB62

It's back offline now! :-(