The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 15, 2020, 02:08 PM   #1
giggitygiggity

Newest 6.5 Grendel Build

I just finished up a 6.5 Grendel build this past week. I did not hold back and bought mostly high-quality components from reputable manufacturers. I still need to shoot it to make sure everything works without issue and then I'll dimple the barrel, possibly pin the gas block, and install the muzzle device. That's why the red thread protector is still on the end of the barrel.

I also need a scope... does anyone have suggestions? I would love a Primary Arms scope with the ACSS reticle calibrated for 6.5 Grendel, but they do not offer it for 6.5 Grendel. I will mainly be using it for long-range shooting while plinking on the range. I will also use it for deer.

The build looks sharp and everything fit perfectly. The only issue I have is that I cannot access the gas block for adjustments unless I remove the handguard. Pretty minor considering that I will probably shoot it, get it tuned, and then set it and forget it. However, it would still be nice to access it quickly if I throw a can on it and want to adjust the gas.

Anyways, below are the components that I selected. I attempted to include pictures, but the file sizes were too large. I included the prices at the time of my purchase. The majority of items came from Primary Arms. Some came from Cheaper Than Dirt. I bought the trigger brand new from an individual on AR15.com. Some of the components were on sale at the time; as such, current prices may be different on some or all of the items.

-Aero Precision Gen 2 FDE Lower- $54.88
-Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver- $119.99
-Aero Precision 15" Enhanced M-Lok Handguard Gen2- $129.99
-Aero Precision Billet Trigger Guard- $13.52
-DPMS Lower Parts Kit (minus trigger)- $31.39
-Geissele SSA-E 2-stage Trigger- $155.00
-Faxon Firearms Match Series 20" Rifle Length Heavy Fluted Barrel- $275.04
-Faxon Firearms Bolt Carrier Group- $125.40
-Magpul UBR Gen 2 Stock- $159.99
-Magpul MOE K2+ Pistol Grip- $19.95
-Radian Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle- $60.00
-Seekins Precision Low Profile Adjustable Gas Block- $57.00
-Spikes Tactical Melonited Rifle Length Gas Tube- $12.96
-CMMG Carbine Buffer Spring- $4.03
-TacFire 4.9oz Buffer- $9.97
-VG6 Precision Gamma 6.5 Muzzle Brake- $49.99
TOTAL: $1,279.10 + tax & shipping
Old February 16, 2020, 08:35 AM   #2
stagpanther

Take pictures when she's ready to go down the model runway.
Old February 16, 2020, 06:41 PM   #3
reynolds357

It will probably be accurate. I just built a similar rifle with a 24" White Oak Bull barrel that shoots 1.2" 5 shot groups at 400 yds.