The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 29, 2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Dano4734

Suggestions on waterproof jackets

I know it’s a gear question but i am talking specific for hunting. I bought the new fangled cabellas fleece waterproof camo pants and jacket for my hunt. Works fine for three rainy hours then soaks through. Now i am on a mission for waterproof waterproof something comfortable and warm.any suggestions
Old September 29, 2018, 06:05 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Browning
Old September 29, 2018, 06:27 PM   #3
jmr40

You need layers. Buy a waterproof jacket large enough to layer over a warmer base layer. You ain't gonna get warm and dry in the same garmet.

I find clothing and boots designed for backpackers and hikers to be far better than those designed for hunters. And it costs less. More thought is put into which camo pattern is used than making quality gear when it comes to hunting gear.

Lots of stuff in black, brown, and green that works great for hunting.

https://www.rei.com/search?q=rain+jackets+for+men

Winston Churchill
Old September 29, 2018, 06:49 PM   #4
FITASC

Frogg Toggs 100% waterproof pants and jackets; wear warm stuff underneath as necessary
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Mobuck

I use GI GoreTex rain suits. Those are the only ones I've found that will stand up to normal use and don't leak.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:38 PM   #6
lefteye

Gore Tex !!! The fabric resists liquid water, e.g. rain, but allows water vapor , e.g. sweat, to escape. I have worn Gore Tex jackets and pants for years. Gore Tex fabric is a fantastic invention/creation/development.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:50 PM   #7
Dano4734

Thanks guys. Mine held up for awhile then leaked through. No fun when you are out in the bush for sure. I am on a mission before deer season comes around here
Old September 29, 2018, 09:16 PM   #8
603Country

I have an Aussie made waxed jacket from Drizabone (or similar spelling). Totally waterproof, wind proof, scent proof and maybe 22LR bullet proof. Dark green. Comfortable. Google that up.
Old September 30, 2018, 06:10 AM   #9
jpx2rk

Goretex is the way to go. Cabelas has some lightweight/packable items, just get them a size or 2 larger so you can layer up under them. Goretex will repeal rain and wind, but has not heat retention ability.
Old September 30, 2018, 07:09 AM   #10
dahermit

I use a surplus G.I. Army Poncho. It may not be ideal (problematic folds can get in the way when shouldering a gun), but it never soaks though, no matter how many hours/days in the rain and it blocks the wind from warm layers below. In all, it is the least expensive (found at gun shows), and the most effective solution.
Old September 30, 2018, 09:00 AM   #11
BarryLee

Yes, Gore-Tex outer layer for sure. Obviously avoid cotton which is slow to dry and provides little warmth. Poly layers can be good and dry fast, also wool provides warmth even when wet. Check out REI if there is one in your area.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 30, 2018, 10:09 AM   #12
ocharry

yeah for hunting i like a GI poncho also,,,i can keep my weapon under it out of the weather until i need it,,,,i like that,,,wet outside,,dry and warm inside,,,just works

for regular weather i like the oil cloth stuff,,keeps the water and wind out very well,,,,been in some real frog stranglers with the horses a few times,,,always worked well,,,,but you do have to retreat them to keep them shedding water like they do

have looked at the frog tog stuff for like fishing or something like that,,,,just havent done it,,,lol,,,prolly wont,,,lol

ocharry
Old October 1, 2018, 11:26 PM   #13
taylorce1

I asked the same question several years ago when I wanted to hunt black bears in the coastal rain forests of SE Alaska. I got a lot of the same answers from people who don't live in those conditions of 200 inches of rain a year. Nearly 100% of the Alaskan residents told me Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear was what I wanted, and I couldn't have been happier with that rain gear.
Old October 2, 2018, 12:06 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have a three piece goose down Browning hunting coat. (very warm and the 3-pc jacket system doesn't cause its wearer to sweat no matter how active I get.)
Have had that hunting coat for many years and because I've have worn the outside poncho jacket almost every hunting day irregardless of weather condition. Its repel of rain & snow finally faltered i.e. outer jacket eventually lost its scotch guard water repellent.
So to re-apply its scotch guard coating. I recalled seeing it sold at a local GM dealership. Bought a small spray can of the GM {interior spray} i.e. scotch guard.

Applied a light spray on the poncho. {No longer a need to worry about getting wet.} Seems like to me the S/Guard spray purchased at the dealership was a much better grade of spray than what I purchased earlier from either Walmart or Menard's. Some hunters tote a lucky rifle. Not me. I just put on my lucky hunting coat
Old October 2, 2018, 12:28 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...has not heat retention ability..." 100% wool sweater underneath. Best if the lanolin is still in the wool but that'd be expensive these days.
"...cabellas..." Anything with CABELA's name on it or any other store brand will mostly likely have been made in SEA or China by the lowest bidder. Mind you, if it's raining, Bambi and all his friends are huddled under a tree some place just like people.
"...doesn't cause its wearer to sweat..." If he/she is fit. Goose down is fine for cold weather, but will not shed water like it was designed to for the original user.
Old October 2, 2018, 08:39 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

If you want 100% waterproof, you need to wear rubber or plastic. But that, of course, won't breath.

The next best option is Gore-Tex. Until it's well-worn, or completely submerged for hours at a time, it'll keep you drier than anything else I've tried.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:15 PM   #17
Dano4734

I just ordered some gore-Tex and I bought a dizabone Australia coat also because I like the way it looks with my crocodile Dundee hat. I should be good now hopefully. Never again a cabellas fleece camo. Dang that was miserable when it soaked through out in the Alaska bush

Last edited by Dano4734; October 2, 2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old October 2, 2018, 09:22 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Yep.
I've been there in old, worn out Gore-Tex (six years of crawling around on concrete takes its toll...). It's a miserable ride.
Old October 4, 2018, 08:20 AM   #19
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
If you want 100% waterproof, you need to wear rubber or plastic. But that, of course, won't breath.
The Helly Hansen Impertech is rubber and you'll get hot in it, but it has vents that you'll find useful. I wore Gortex for over 20 years in the military and while okay, if you wear a pack or a sling that's where it'll leak first. Anything that's breathable isn't waterproof in my experience. Another thing I loved about my Impertech rain gear it wasn't as bulky as Gortex and lighter, so it was easier to pack. It isn't as light or compressible as Frogg Toggs but I do believe it's more durable. Helly Hansen also offers a lifetime warranty on their rain gear and will repair it, I sent mine back for a new button and to replace worn out velcro once and it only cost me shipping one way.

I know the OP has already purchased rain gear and I hope he is happy with it. However, there might be others looking for the same thing for this upcoming seasons. I need to replace my jacket as my bloodhound found it comforting to eat during a thunderstorm and I wasn't brave enough to send it in for warranty.
Old October 12, 2018, 06:43 PM   #20
Dano4734

Wow I like the drizabone jacket went fishing and stayed dry for a change. Thank you
Old October 12, 2018, 09:05 PM   #21
Zeroed

I have and use usgi gore-tex pants/jacket too. Only problem I have with them is if your stand is a fair walk, or you like to stalk hunt with a lot of walking, you'll sweat like nobody's business (or at least I do), then of course the bone-chiller cold sets in. Makes a miserable day. Same with the poncho.
So I use a duck canvas jacket for those long hike's, breathe's better. I tried to find the type I use, online, and I see they refer to them as "Waxed" canvas jackets now. g/l