The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 31, 2020, 10:48 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Savage 110 High Country

Who here owns a Savage 110 High Country? How do you like it? Any weird quirks?

I ask, because I just ordered one. I would appreciate the feedback. I ordered it in 6.5 PRC.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 1, 2020, 05:09 PM   #2
std7mag

Hmmm....
Just one of my quirks i guess, but i don't buy guns that i don't lay hands on first.
Kinda like cars...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 1, 2020, 06:16 PM   #3
kilotanker22

Yeah you probably have a good practice there. I have owned so many Savages and had so few problems that I have faith that it will meet my expectations. If not I will just sell it off.

What sold me on it really is the fact that it is a Savage, the looks of that PVD coating, the spiral fluted barrel and bolt and the accufit stock with the aluminum mini chassis molded into the stock.

IMO for $850, I would be hard pressed to find a better value or "nicer" to me rifle.

Next on my list is one of those Tikka Rifles everyone seems to rave about.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 2, 2020, 08:25 AM   #4
std7mag

Try one, you'll like it!
Ask Wendyj about hers. She's shooting 7mm-08 with 120gr Barnes. Small little cloverleafs!
Only my wifes Savage 110FP in 223 can group like that!

If i were to buy a brand new Savage it would be one of the new Ultra Light models with the Proof Research barrels. MSRP is $1,100, so you could possibly find one in the $900-1,000 range.

Other than that, i'm just looking for actions now.
Would love to find a couple of Axis actions at a decent price.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 2, 2020, 11:31 AM   #5
kilotanker22

The Ultra Light by Savage MSRP is $1500. Local gun shop said price would be $1200. I went with the High Country, because I can scope it with a decent optic and still be in around the price of the ultra light
– St. Augustine
Old February 2, 2020, 08:05 PM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilotanker22 View Post
Who here owns a Savage 110 High Country? How do you like it? Any weird quirks?

I ask, because I just ordered one. I would appreciate the feedback. I ordered it in 6.5 PRC.
Its a Savage so it will be accurate.
Old February 2, 2020, 08:08 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
Try one, you'll like it!
Ask Wendyj about hers. She's shooting 7mm-08 with 120gr Barnes. Small little cloverleafs!
Only my wifes Savage 110FP in 223 can group like that!

If i were to buy a brand new Savage it would be one of the new Ultra Light models with the Proof Research barrels. MSRP is $1,100, so you could possibly find one in the $900-1,000 range.

Other than that, i'm just looking for actions now.
Would love to find a couple of Axis actions at a decent price.
My 9 year old sons Ruger American compact is clover leafing 7-08 110 ttsx at 100 with him shooting it.
Old February 3, 2020, 11:07 AM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
Its a Savage so it will be accurate.
I have faith it will perform. Otherwise I would not pay $900 for a rifle i have not even handled. I own and have owned tons of Savages. I guess there are many reasons I like them. Familiarity being one.
– St. Augustine
Old February 3, 2020, 12:28 PM   #9
Don Fischer

Something I always liked about Remington rifle's, most were either 700 ADL's or 700 BDL's. Didn't used to be a different name for every cosmetic change they made! Ruger and Savage are really bad about that! Haven't a clue what a 110 High Country is!
Old February 3, 2020, 02:39 PM   #10
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Something I always liked about Remington rifle's, most were either 700 ADL's or 700 BDL's. Didn't used to be a different name for every cosmetic change they made! Ruger and Savage are really bad about that! Haven't a clue what a 110 High Country is!
You need to look at Remingtons current catalog.
Old February 12, 2020, 10:15 PM   #11
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
You need to look at Remingtons current catalog.
Agreed, also Savage and Ruger actually make improvements that customers want. A prime example being that the trigger that Remington puts into it's 783 rifle is better than the trigger on the Remington 700. It's a shame really. I absolutely love the Remington 700, but they just don't offer them set up the way I want.

Savage, Ruger, Tikka and Browning do though. Savage being my go to generally. They just feel right to me. Tikka is the only brand on my list that I have not owned yet so it is very likely that a T3x-CTR will be the next rifle I Buy (If only I could get a stainless 24 inch barrel one with a brake installed.) But really I want one to compare to my Savage Tactical Desert even though the Tikka is $400 more.
– St. Augustine
Old February 12, 2020, 10:17 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Also I really want to test one of the Franchi Momentum rifles. I very much like the feel of the action and the stock. I am finding that I really do like European rifles and shotguns.
– St. Augustine
Old February 29, 2020, 04:50 PM   #13
kilotanker22

Now that I have had this High Country rifle for a bit and had the opportunity to shoot it, I like it very much. It looks great, isn't very heavy and the action is way smoother than the other savages I have owned. Probably due to both the PVD coating and the spiral fluted bolt.

I have not had the opportunity to test any handloads with it yet, but it shoots sub MOA with Hornady precision hunter ammunition. The Muzzle brake that Savage installs from the factory is very effective. It reduces recoil from this cartridge to nearly zero. I can maintain the sight picture well enough to watch my shots impact at 100 yards. Overall very satisfied with this rifle. I can't wait to start loading for this rifle. My dies will be here sometime in the next week.
– St. Augustine