The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 5, 2020, 11:28 AM   #26
jfruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffraff
But if I was going to go there, 6 5 Grendel seems to really shine in terms of range and power, is almost like the .308 alternative for the AR15.
With regard to range performance, it sure is, unless you go to the more exotic long range .308Win projectiles way up there in mass and BC.

Not as much brute knock-down power, but 6.5G is plenty vs any medium sized game. Hornady 123gr SST if you want a quick opening pill that does lost of damage, Fed Fusion 120gr if you want bonded penetration and moderate damage. A .308W 180-200gr round nose soft point will hit a lot harder up close.

I like it and it allows the smaller, recoil-sensitive shooters a gun and cartridge they can shoot well.
Old February 8, 2020, 07:24 PM   #27
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfruser View Post
With regard to range performance, it sure is, unless you go to the more exotic long range .308Win projectiles way up there in mass and BC.

Not as much brute knock-down power, but 6.5G is plenty vs any medium sized game. Hornady 123gr SST if you want a quick opening pill that does lost of damage, Fed Fusion 120gr if you want bonded penetration and moderate damage. A .308W 180-200gr round nose soft point will hit a lot harder up close.

I like it and it allows the smaller, recoil-sensitive shooters a gun and cartridge they can shoot well.
Ya recoil is a thing with .308.. absolutely no problem for hunting, even my girlfriend can shoot a few rounds of it comfortably, but I do not enjoy sighting in a .308 AR - something about how they meet my shoulder if I'm not standing up is just painful after 30 rounds. About 250 standing up and I feel fine but it lo leaves a mark, on a bench it's a real short day or some ultra precision shooting...

I didn't see the point of 6.5 creedmoor given my skill and range cannot benefit from it, but am starting to think I will give it a go just for comfort reasons, and I weigh 230 and bench about 350 lbs - .308 just undoubtedly has a wallop to it.
Old February 8, 2020, 08:26 PM   #28
MarkCO

Oh my. I have had over a dozen calibers in the AR15 platform and 5 in the "AR10" platform, and I still have a lot, probably too many.

If mine all fell into the lake, I would pass on the .22LR and AR10 pattern and only go centerfire in the AR15 pattern. .223 Wylde, 9mm (blowback), 10mm (DI), 6.5 PCC and .350 Legend, to me, are the prime 5 I'd get. I am missing the .350 Legend currently, but will get one eventually.

Was not a fan of the 300BO nor the 224V as neither really outperformed anything, just a small niche. I prefer the Ruger 10/22 for rimfire. The proprietary mags and such for many of the others made them a PITA. I really like my .450s, but the .350L is simpler from a bolt and magazine perspective. I still have 5 calibers other than the 5 I listed to unload this year. Likely will just rebarrel and sell the barrels which will be a cheaper path.
Old February 9, 2020, 10:01 PM   #29
bfoosh006

Long Range.. 6.5 Grendel
Cheap, realistic training,..9MM ( 22LR recoil impulse is to light )
AR Pistol... 300BLK
Good/ better SD... 6.8 SPC
Hunting... 300 Ham'R
Brute power... 450BM
Old February 10, 2020, 12:23 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
I am missing the .350 Legend currently, but will get one eventually.
Be sure the headspace complies with ptg's gages when you do, otherwise you could be courting kabooms.
Old February 10, 2020, 09:11 AM   #31
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Be sure the headspace complies with ptg's gages when you do, otherwise you could be courting kabooms.
Yeah, I read your whole thread and will wait a bit. Revisiting 10mm set ups then plan to tackle the 350L in the fall.