The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Buzzkill

What are ghost ring sights for ??

Hi all

This may seem dumb but i was just wondering what is a ghost ring sight and are they any good .

I noticed that alot of people use rifle sights but arent these used if all you shoot is slugs .

I heard rifled sights are crap for leading targets with shot . is this true ?

Thanks
Bob
Old June 30, 2005, 03:44 PM   #2
McGee

Quick target acquisition from what i was told. i like em makes a bit of a diference to the gun.They are good for home defence if you don't have a front light.
We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill. Proud To Be British
Old July 1, 2005, 12:34 AM   #3
mikikanazawa

Cross between quick target acquisition and precision of shot placement.

A dumb ol' bead sight is fastest and least precise.

Rifle sights or a scope would be most precise, but near useless for, say, clearing a room.

Ghost ring sights are basically a bead with a rear peep sight, where the peep has a BIG hole in it. You could probably stay within 10 MOA with slugs; maybe half that with rifle sights, depending on the gun's setup and user skill of course.
Old July 1, 2005, 01:39 AM   #4
Nnobby45

They're called ghost rings because when you look through them, they come close to disappearing, but the eye still focuses the front sight in the center automatically. The edges are much thinner than a regular peep sight. Look at the front sight and ignore them. They are fast, and the precision is reasonably good with a front post sight.

Quote:
Ghost ring sights are basically a bead with a rear peep sight, where the peep has a BIG hole in it. You could probably stay within 10 MOA with slugs; maybe half that with rifle sights, depending on the gun's setup and user skill of course.

That's essentially true. If the accuracy of your shotgun with slugs is not great, it's not the ghost ring sight system at fault. With Federals new Truball slug, 4 MOA or better is very possible, if not easily obtained.
Old July 1, 2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Bob F.

Dey fo shootin' ghosts, doncha kno?

ACtually, the eye centers automatically in the big circle, focus on the front, don't worry about the rear. And send them big chuncks o' lead on home !
Old July 2, 2005, 09:21 AM   #6
McGee

Just shoot from the hip its a lot more fun :P j/k
We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill. Proud To Be British
Old July 2, 2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Buzzkill

Thanks for the tip rambo

Actually mcgee what what about putin the shotgun on top of your shoulder like a R.P.G and then pulling the trigger .

Hmm ,, ideas

Thanks Bob
Old July 2, 2005, 12:45 PM   #8
McGee

HAHAHA love it
Old October 16, 2019, 09:21 AM   #9
jp_over

Here's an old thread but still good info and answered my question - thanks!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old October 16, 2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

"Ghost Ring" is really nothing more then a new term for an aperture or "peep" receiver mounted sight as used on most all military rifles since at least WWII.
The only difference is a ghost ring usually has a larger hole then a standard aperture receiver sight.

The advantages are.....

You only have to focus on the front sight and the target.
Your eye will automatically center the target and sight in the rear ring because that's where the most light is.
This is faster then an old barrel mounted rear notch sight.

The aperture gives an optical illusion that makes the front sight look sharper and more defined.
This is a boon for people with bad or aging eyes.
This is also why virtually all iron sight equipped Target rifles have receiver mounted aperture sights.

The longer distance between the front and rear sight increases accuracy potential.

The Ghost ring sight on a shotgun is primarily for use with slugs, which are really just big bullets.
Old October 17, 2019, 07:23 AM   #11
jp_over

Dfariswheel - thanks for an updated and easy to understand break down.

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old October 17, 2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Don Fischer

My old L61 Sako's came with those sight's. Little trick with them is that on some, maybe all of them, the rear aperture screw's out of the sight and then it works even better as a hunting sight. Just unscrew and pup it away somewhere.
Old October 19, 2019, 01:32 AM   #13
bamaranger

sights

Ghost rings on a shotgun allow more accurate shooting with slugs, that is certainly true. In fact, I think a lot of folks would be surprised how effective a common , smoothbore shotgun can be with slugs and sights to 100 yds or so.

I have also seen ghost ring sights used on very tight choked game shotguns intended for turkey hunting, where the object is to center a standing gobblers noggin with a dense cloud of shot at 30-40 yds.

Typical leaf and bead rifle sights do not lend themselves to shooting moving targets, but it certainly can be done and I would not put it in the "crap" or impossible category, just inefficient and slower, and certainly not anybody's first choice. But lots of moving game has been killed with RIFLES and iron sights over the years. Lots missed too, of course.

It is possible to shoot slow clay targets with rifle sighted (leaf and bead) sights, on a shotgun. When doing so, the eye sort of ignores the rear leaf and focuses on the front blade. With an open choke, there is enough leeway to be reasonably effective.