The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Snake Plissken

SW M&P 22 vs Browning 1911-22 ?

looking to get one of these...
would like feed back from the members here on their experiences on one or both. eg reliability, functioning, pros and cons...know issues etc?

wanted to add the ruger SR22 into the mix but they arent allowed here in the great white north country of Cunukistan....due to barrel length

the gun will be predominately used by my kids and guests at my local gun range. mostly to get them used to shooting and introduce friends and family to the shooting sports.

thanks

Last edited by Snake Plissken; January 4, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
ttarp

I've never shot or even held the M&P 22, but I do own the Browning 1911-22. It's scaled down from a fullsize 1911, and some people don't like them for that, but I don't find it inconvenient at all, I like the feel of the gun a lot, granted I have smaller hands. As far as function, it cycles smoothly and hasn't had a malfunction with any of the ammo I've shot through it. I think its overpriced, but it was just what I was looking for so I don't have any regrets.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
USMCGrunt

I'm on the other end of things. I have an M&P22 and I love it. Ya see, whuh happen wuz, I got my son a Ruger SR22 for himt to grow into. Of course I had to "test it" for him (that's the story I'm sticking with) and realized that, "dang, little .22s are FUN!" Well, since I have an M&P45, I decided to get one of these as well and I'm glad I did! Originally, I thought I might have Sig Mosquito problems with it so I decided to run 200 rounds of CCI Mini-mags through it for breaking in. Worked without a problem so I went over to using Wal-Mart bulk box Remington ammo. Ever since then, that's all she's been fed and hasn't missed a beat yet in probably close to a couple thousand rounds!
It's very close in size to the full size M&P and if mine was the small framed 9/40 M&P, it would be identical to a medium grip. The controls are the same as the full size pistol though and function the same. My M&P45 has the manual safety so the manual safety of the M&P22 doesn't bother me at all either. They do ride at a little more severe angle when on safe than the full sized model but it's not a show stopper. Granted I could have done without the engraved billboard on the side of the slide but that's just asthetics.
So now to the big question, how does she shoot? Like I said, the first 200 rounds were mini-mags just to check function and aide in the break-in process. Hmm, I kind of wonder if it would have even needed that though? Anyways, I didn't adjust the sights right away since I knew mini-mags was NOT going to be it's everyday diet but I was curious how she grouped. I fired these 5 rounds from 15m from a roll-over prone position without an artificial rest:

I don't have any pictures of the Remington golden bullet groups but as expected, they did open up a little bit but nothing major. Certainly not a problem for a plinker and low cost trainer. The .22LR runs a bit cheaper than .45 ACP even when reloading is factored in so that's another big plus for this pistol.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Snake Plissken

thanks guys...maybe a few more can chime in also
Old January 6, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
vossman

I love my M&P22. I have 4-5 thousand through and it's just plain fun. Mine likes the Remington Golden and Blazer bulk. Trigger has really smoothed out, fits in a standard holster so there is not much not to like.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
TennJed

I am interested in these 2 guns also. What materials are the slides
made of?
Old January 9, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7
ttarp

Per the respective websites their both made from aircraft grade aluminum, Browning specifically states it to be 7075 T6 alloy, and I would hazard to assume the M&P is the same.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:12 AM   #8
TennJed

Quote:
Per the respective websites their both made from aircraft grade aluminum, Browning specifically states it to be 7075 T6 alloy, and I would hazard to assume the M&P is the same.
Excuse my ignorance, but would that be "pot metal" or a higher grade?
Old January 9, 2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

What is commonly (and erroneously) referred to as "pot metal" is zinc alloy.
Aluminum is a much better material.
Real "pot metal" is cast irom, BTW.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:52 AM   #10
ttarp

Higher grade, not pot metal. It sees use in aircraft, rock climbing gear and other high quality applications.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:11 AM   #11
TennJed

Thanks guys. For some reason I was thinking the S&W was Zinc. Is the M&P made by Umarex? I was under the impression than Umarex made the 22lrs for S&W and Walther.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
JWT

I own both guns. They're nice shooting guns and either would be excellent for teaching kids.

The M&P seems to be made out of 'pot metal' but has held up quite well and is a fun little gun to shoot. Mine has several thousand rounds through it. Take down and reassembly are easy. It is made by Walther for S&W.

The Browning 1911-22 is also a fun little shooter. It is about 80 percent size of a normal 1911 and the internals are similar as is take down. It is a much higher quality than the M&P in my opinion.

I'd recommend either for range shooting with children. Both guns have been completely reliable and have never malfunctioned. I use primarily CCI Blazer or Federal bulk pack ammo when I shoot them.

Last edited by JWT; January 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
For some reason I was thinking the S&W was Zinc. Is the M&P made by Umarex? I was under the impression than Umarex made the 22lrs for S&W and Walther.
The M&P-22 (like the "Walther" P22) is made by Umarex. The slide is made of a zinc alloy that sometimes goes by the trade name "Zamak," which is commonly known as potmetal. This is a lower-quality material than the aluminum used by some other pistols like the Ruger SR22 or Browning 1911-22.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Mr_Jumper

I can chime in for M&P 22.

So far I've put through CCI standard, CCI mini-mag, Winchester bulk and federal bulk, around 2000 rounds in all. Great little shooter, quite accurate (for 22 pistol) and it's just fun to shoot. Very similar to M&P 9mm in size (compared at LGS prior to purchase), grips are not adjustable but about the same size as medium grip on 9mm.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
The M&P-22 (like the "Walther" P22) is made by Umarex. The slide is made of a zinc alloy that sometimes goes by the trade name "Zamak," which is commonly known as potmetal. This is a lower-quality material than the aluminum used by some other pistols like the Ruger SR22 or Browning 1911-22.
The S&W website list aluminum as the slide material.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16
915A

I am looking at the M&P or the SR22 for target shooting. The M&P gets good reviews from what I have read, but the comments on material are concerning.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:40 AM   #17
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915A View Post
I am looking at the M&P or the SR22 for target shooting. The M&P gets good reviews from what I have read, but the comments on material are concerning.
Yeah the material confusion concerns me too. After reading the post here I checked the website and it does list aircraft aluminum. I have seen lots of post on different forums saying it is zinc. Not sure where people are getting this info. I would think the actual S&W website is correct
Old January 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #18
TacticalDefense1911

The M&P22's slide is aluminum. I own one and the manufacturers website lists it as aluminum. Reader beware on many internet forums. Its not potmetal.

I really like my M&P22. Its for all intents and purposes the same size as my FS M&P 9mm and fits in my kydex holsters. The trigger is better then the FS guns from the factory as well. It has been extremely reliable using a wide variety of ammunition. Its also very accurate. Its been a good purchase so far. I've also heard very few issues with them from others, even ones with higher round counts.

The scaled down .22lr 1911's seem to be pretty decent guns. I hear more about reliability issues with them then the M&P22's but for the most part, the ones I've seen run pretty good. The M&P would be a better training platform for someone looking to move onto a striker fired type gun like an M&P or Glock. I'd give a slight nod to the M&P22 but it comes down to what platform you want.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
TennJed

Thanks tacticaldefense1911. Do you know if the M&P 22 is made by Umarex? Is it roll marked on who makes it?
Old January 9, 2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
The S&W website list aluminum as the slide material.
Interesting - when introduced it was noted to be Zamak. If it is indeed aluminum, that is good news.
Old January 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #21
h2otoo

M&P 22 made by Walther. Very happy with mine.

Bob
Old January 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Thanks tacticaldefense1911. Do you know if the M&P 22 is made by Umarex? Is it roll marked on who makes it?
I believe it is. The frame is marked "Made in Germany" which could also be Walther but this has been discussed to great lengths and the consensus is that it is made by Umarex even though it is stamped Walther (Umarex owns Walther). There are proof marks on the slide that I believe are Umarex.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:39 AM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
the consensus is that it is made by Umarex even though it is stamped Walther (Umarex owns Walther). There are proof marks on the slide that I believe are Umarex.
Correct. This pistol is not made by Walther at the Walther factory in Ulm, Germany (where pistols such as the P99, PPQ, and PPS are made). It is made by Umarex at the Umarex factory in Arnsberg, Germany (outside Cologne). The proof marks bear this out.

Umarex has taken to stamping "Carl Walther" on a lot of their pistols, because, frankly, "Walther" sounds a lot better than "Umarex" (who is better known for airsoft toys and starting pistols).
Old January 10, 2013, 11:54 AM   #24
psyfly

I have no experience with the M&P.

I am pleased enough with the Browning 1911-22. It feels like quality in the hand and I'm impressed with the fit and finish. As mentioned above, it is a bit pricey but I wanted one. Mine is the "compact" model with the wood grips; it's pretty.

It is small enough to carry as a BUG or as a primary when larger is not possible. I prefer it to my Beretta 950 simply because of the 10+1 capacity.

I've fired a couple dozen rounds though it, including some hand-fed Aguila powderless (they won't cycle) without problem and have even located a couple of spare magazines (for the price, Browning oughta stick in an extra, IMO).

Accuracy is so-so and definitely plinker-grade. I may upgrade my opinion when I've had more practice with it .

Fun level is quite good and I believe that it would make an excellent first-time trainer for kids.
I have large hands and the little pistol feels just fine to me.

Will
Old January 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #25
mrlizzzard

As an owner my m&p is great.I was lucked to get it as now they are more popular.Just buy it.