The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 27, 2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Famas

AK mags and drum question

Hi - I was just wondering if AK mags were universal (standard) to all AKs or do some fit certain makes better than others? (I have a Romainian AKMS I'm wanting to add mags to.)

Also for the AK, I've recently seen these 75 round drums that do not require winding, but simply load like a conventional mag, from the top. Anyone use this before? Is it worth buying or avoiding?

Thanks for the tips.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:51 AM   #2
MagnumWill

I have a wind-up drum for my RPK, and seeing how much movement must occur in order to ensure adequate feeding, I would be very hesitant in using one with a constantly wound spring. Also, you'll probably need a hydraulic press to load the last five rounds I would stick to the normal style they've been using for the past half-century. Winding it up only takes a few seconds.

As for normal mags, you should be fine with anything, whether they're steel, polymer or Bakelite. You'll most likely get a large amount of mag wobble with steel mags (mine does) but I prefer them than polymer mags (but then again, I haven't used Bulgarian circle 10's, which are supposedly fantastic). Also some polymer mags may be a little on the tight side.

Right now - you'll be best off with whatever you can get your hands on
Old December 27, 2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Famas

Ok, thank you MagnumWill for the advice!