The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 25, 2016, 07:00 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Buckhorn,
I don't think my trigger was that heavy, but I would guess the pull weight variance was greater than .5 lbs. The trigger is far worse than any of the Hipoints I have fired. I can take a heavy trigger, one stage or two, even a little spongy, but it has to be somewhat consistent. I must have fired... IDK, at least ten Glocks before, probably quite a few more in actuality, and none of the triggers were close to this bad.

I guess I will start looking at aftermarket triggers though.

Quote:
Shooting a rental or borrow does not tell you as much as handling several pistols for your best grip and feel.
We rented every sub-compact available at two ranges and we handled a few more.
Old August 25, 2016, 07:48 PM   #27
Radny97

Hahahahaha! BigJimP I just about spit out my dinner reading your comment. That was awesome.
Old August 25, 2016, 11:54 PM   #28
BigJimP

I am happy to provide some cheap ....tongue in cheek entertainment..../ i'm only kidding, ....probably..

But a friend who is a pretty good amateur gunsmith confirmed what you're saying about being careful not to overdo lube on a glock..../ ...so I stand corrected Buckhorn.

But I was a little surprised to hear any us military ( Seals, etc ) were testing or using any Glocks...I was not aware of that .../ while I knew there are some Sigs and even some 1911's out there with the Berettas....or maybe some H& K's.....Glock were a surprise....

Truth is --- Glocks just don't work for me.....don't like grip angle or triggers -- but I understand the attraction...and I am of a generation where the 1911 was my military sidearm and it's engraved in my DNA at this point / while I will still rent an occasional glock, HK, XD, M&P....just to see if anything has changed for me, the only double stack guns I own are a pair of all stainless sig 226's and a sig X5....and I don't carry or shoot them much either/ nice guns, just not my "primary" guns...

My primary carry is a full sized Wilson 5" in 9mm now....my backup is same gun in .45acp...or I will go to a S&W K, L or N frame revolver in .357 mag instead in 2 1/2", 2 5/8" or even a 4" in 6 or 8 shot....or maybe one of the older sig 239's......

I just can't -- or won't -- go polymer.../ but good luck in working out this issue with the new glock.
Old August 28, 2016, 12:21 PM   #29
rt11002003

It has never occurred to me to try a Glock. Don't know why? Renting to try out a gun makes sense. But, not for all of us. Some guns I immediately take a liking to and continued to like, others have seemed OK; but after a hundred rounds, or so, just didn't work for me.
Old August 28, 2016, 12:52 PM   #30
Bluestarlizzard

I've never had much a chance to try it before you buy it, unless you count someone had something and me likey so it went on the list.

I always figured it was good advise for someone just getting into this, but for those of us who are already well out in the deep end, bah, just buy it and, if you don't like it, keep it around until you can use it to get something else.

I shall have to keep in mind, from now on, when telling someone to try renting different guns about the break in period on new guns and that the rental will more akin to what they will have once they've shot the new gun enough.
Old August 29, 2016, 04:19 AM   #31
NWCP

I've never found a Glock that feels good in my hand. I have also never rented a pistol before purchasing. Buddies at my gun club let me shoot their pistols if I'm interested. They can also point out proper grip, trigger pull and such. Still haven't one that can sell me on a Glock. I have made some HK and Walther converts though.
Old August 29, 2016, 11:59 AM   #32
DA/SA Fan

Don't think I would ever encounter a situation that would cause me to rent a handgun. Every gun I have purchased was bought solely on specs and reviews. If it's not something extremely weird I can adapt. Some feel great in my hand but none feel truly objectionable. Things might be a little different if I were looking for a "one and only" gun but that's a ridiculous thought!
Old August 30, 2016, 07:57 AM   #33
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Don't think I would ever encounter a situation that would cause me to rent a handgun.
Taking a new shooter who has only handled 5 firearms in the past and a 2 person pass for all day unlimited range and unlimited use of rental guns for $48 work for you?
I couldn't pass it up, even if I did have to sign up for a group-on account. Most places around me normally charge between $8-10 per rental gun per hour and $5-15 an hour for range time. I think we totaled 6 hours of individual lane time and ten+ subcompact 9mm, 380 ACP, and 40 SW rentals. I'm hoping to go again and shoot some of the long guns they have or rent.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:03 AM   #34
SR420

You say that your wife's interest went in another direction.

What does that mean?

No gun for her?
A different gun?
Old August 30, 2016, 09:11 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

Temporary diversion of her attention. She is not far from being the subject of a zombie thread right now. She will come back around in about 8 weeks.

I looked at some of the trigger options. I think I will have her take a harder look at the SIG 938, her second choice, before I drop $150++ into a new trigger. Of course, she doesn't won't want the base model of the sig, but one of the fancy ones.

The surface finishes on a Glock allow them to run fairly when even if dry. Maybe not de-greased dry, but 'I haven't lubed this in a year or two dry.'