The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
pacerdude

Should I get a 9mm or a .45acp for my next pistol.

First I currently own a Smith and Wesson M&P 40, and a Ruger Mark III 22/45.
I am naturally a worrier, and am concerned with the trouble in getting ammo. I have a hard enough time getting ammo for my 40.

Please keep in mind my main concern is a second defensive pistol with better ammo availability than a 40. I am not too concerned with stopping power because I have full confidence in the self defense purposes of a 9mm, 40, and 45. I would like to diversify my calibers, and choose a pistol that will be a second, ultra reliable home defense/ccw gun.

In that regard the two models I am looking at are a Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF. Any advice on both the above calibers or pistols would be appreciated.

Last edited by pacerdude; December 4, 2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: forgot some words
Old December 4, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
RWNielsen

9mm/45acp

I would go with a 45
Easier to reload too if you should go that route
Old December 4, 2009, 11:51 PM   #3
pacerdude

Thanks buddy! I have considered looking in to that, but right now i am a junior at UGA, and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.
Old December 4, 2009, 11:52 PM   #4
dinsmore83

I own a 9mm and a .45, the 9mm is a full size, the .45 is a compact, I find the .45 compact to be as easy to shoot as the 9mm. if you was higher capacity, get a 9mm, but the recoil is snappier, the .45 has lower capacity, but, for me atleast, the puch of the recoil makes it easier to get back on target from a shorter barrel. 9mm subcompacts are smaller and easier to conceal that 45 compact and subcompact, but with the shorter barrel and snappy recol, accuracy diminishes. my suggestion, try both calibers in a variety of platforms, to see what you like, either can suit your purposes, if you put enough time into looking
Old December 5, 2009, 12:02 AM   #5
NSO_w/_SIG

I don't own any .40 handguns, I do however own a few of each of both .45 and 9mm. I personally have no use for .40. Based on what you posted I'd say that the 9mm is the better choice of the two for you to add. The Glock 19 is a 9mm handgun that IMO everyone should own atleast one of. So yes the G19 is a fine gun.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
comn-cents

one of each
9mm
45acp
38spl
357mag
357sig
32acp
380acp, etc etc etc
Old December 5, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7
jdc1244

Quote:
Please keep in mind my main concern is a second defensive pistol with better ammo availability than a 40.
Interesting, I’m not having a problem finding .40 S&W – it’s the other ammo you note I’m having trouble with.

I wouldn’t let current conditions dictate gun choice, ideally a gun is for the rest of your life. That said I’d go with 9mm, it’s a classic. You’ll also have a much varied platform choice.

When it's time for a .45, get a 1911.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Brian48

I would go with a .45ACP before all others
Old December 5, 2009, 01:02 AM   #9
KyJim

If so called "stopping power" is not a factor between the 9 mm and the .45 acp, I would go with the 9mm. Shortages of a particular caliber may vary from locality to locality but it seemed to me the .45 was a little harder to find than 9 mm. In addition the 9 mm is not as expensive as the .45 and you get higher capacity.
Old December 5, 2009, 01:08 AM   #10
chris in va

Quote:
am naturally a worrier, and am concerned with the trouble in getting ammo
Start reloading, your worries will be considerably less once you see a large box of ammo just waiting to be shot. Even moreso if you start casting.

Quote:
and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.
My reloading equipment fits in a box. Everything.

I did this in three hours.
Old December 5, 2009, 02:22 AM   #11
pacerdude

To Comm-Cents, I hope to one day have a collection like that.
And to everyone else, thanks for the advice. Keep it coming, if you dont mind.
Old December 5, 2009, 03:06 AM   #12
LoneStarWings

If ammo availabiliy is the main issue, I would definitely go with a 9mm. The military still uses it so it should be available somewhere as long as that's the case. .45 is the rarest and most expensive ammo around here. 9mm is less common than .40 s&w, but .40 is about halfway between 9 and .45 in price.
Old December 5, 2009, 06:36 AM   #13
sixxgunnernick

Lets face it..

Get the nine based on price..ammo price..ammo capacity.Then get the forty five!! Nine..Forty and Forty five..oh yeah
Old December 5, 2009, 07:13 AM   #14
pilpens

Nine - cheaper to ammo.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:19 AM   #15
RT

Get the G19. It's the the one Glock everyone should own.
In all seriousness, I have the G19 abd G21 SF--they are both fantastic pistols.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:32 AM   #16
RPB

What I did:

Glock 27 (.40) with 9mm conversion barrel [$98.00] (so it's like a Glock 26 but a thicker barrel than a 26, which adds a little weight = a little less recoil)

Then, I can find either 9mm or .40 to feed it.

So, you looked into conversion barrels? And keep the pistol you already are familiar with and trust.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:46 AM   #17
#18indycolts

Quote:
ultra reliable home defense/ccw gun.

In that regard the two models I am looking at are a Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF.
The 19 is a decent size for carry but the 21 is HUGE, if you want a .45 for home and to carry look at the 30,36 and the GAP models 38,39. I own the 39 which is the smallest .45 they make and I love it.
Old December 5, 2009, 08:49 AM   #18
zombieslayer

WOW! I just bought a .40 because it's the only ammo that HASN"T gone up in price or been reduced in availability in the last year. My WM has 250rd MegaPacks of Rem UMC for $70. ALL around here you can get .40 ANYWHERE. I used to carry 9mm, till it became harder to find and more expensive than .40, I haven't looked back. I'd say go 45acp if you're dying for another caliber. my 2cents
Old December 5, 2009, 09:29 AM   #19
theozz

Go with the .45acp. Best personal defense round in my opinion.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:20 AM   #20
pacerdude

Yes, I have considered conversion barrels, I have considered buying a .357sig conversion barrel for my M&P.

But honestly, I would prefer having a second pistol. That way if worse comes to worse, and something happens to one then I still have another pistol, and in a different caliber. Thank you though!

And well, lets be fair, who wouldn't want a second pistol?
Old December 5, 2009, 11:23 AM   #21
RPB

or third, 4th, 5th, .....
ha ha yep
I sold over 30 of my pistols last year .... downsizing. Only keeping a few and I have a mental shooping list and trying to get mostly Stainless this go-round since I'm on the water a lot, carefully choosing new ones I buy..... or trying to anyway.

Still, I miss a few of those I sold ... I stupidly sold most of my most concealable ones to a freind who sells at gun shows and was begging me for guns,, might buy the same models again if I run across them, but also would like to try out some new technology/new kids on the block/new models etc.

Last edited by RPB; December 5, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:27 AM   #22
DBAR

Years ago when I was getting a motorcycle, I was told to go ahead and get the 1,000 cc. Everyone told me that if I got a 600 or 750 that I'd want a 1000 after a few weeks. I took their advice, and got a 1000, that I eventually built into an 1170.

Get either, you'll end up with both eventually. I'd get the .45acp first. Bigger, and slower is sometimes better.
DBAR

Last edited by DBAR; December 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:38 AM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
and live in an apartment, so reloading isnt an option just yet.
Not so. Google on "Lee Hand Press". Slow but useful, and a complete kit can fit in a shoebox.

Quote:
9mm or a .45acp...I have full confidence in the self defense purposes of a 9mm, 40, and 45....Glock 19 and a Glock 21SF
9v45, talk about your Frequently Asked Questions. Pick one, I don't think it matters a whole lot.

As long as they fit your hand. I've had a .45 for a few years. I picked up a Glock 19 a few months ago. Reliable, accurate, no problems at all except that the finger grooves on the G3 19 don't really fit my hand.

.45 has such a big case, it's very forgiving to reload. If you handload, the cost difference between 9 & 45 don't matter quite as much.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 5, 2009, 11:47 AM   #24
Kyo

I prefer the 45 so I got one as my first gun. Why do I prefer it? Well, for me personally(YMMV!!!) the 45 has less kick than the 40, and only a little more than a 9mm. As far as reloading them, the 45 is pretty easy to reload, has low pressure, and you will be able to tell very easily if you double charge. I take a second to look in the case, and a double charge will be VERY obvious.
I am also thinking to pick up a 9 eventually but I think I will wait until 2010 to see what the new stuff is going to be. I figure since I have a P345, I can pick up an SR9.
For defensive purposes I am confident that 9+1 mag of 8 in the 45 should do me enough for a dire situation, unless its one of those 27 ninjas with full auto's situation.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:58 AM   #25
rickyjames

getting ammo for anything these days can be tough. i think the ammo situation these days is changing the reasons people buy certain guns. for example revolvers are gaining in popularity. i think part of the reason is certain revolvers shoot multiple types of ammo. there are 22/22mag combos, 357's can also shoot 38's and 44 mags can also shoot 44 specials. something to think about anyway.

as for semi's, the old rule was to buy a military caliber and you would always be able to find ammo. that rule went out the window with the recent ammo shortage. often these calibers were the hardest to find while you might still see some oddball ammo on the shelf. that being said i have started to see more ammo available, particuarly 9mm.

if i were in the market for a new semi auto handgun i would first decide what caliber and then look for a gun to match the caliber. availability and cost of ammo would also help dictate the choice. personally i would look for a 9mm with the ammo situation today. you can get them anywhere from full sized high capacity down to small ccw type guns and all the major players and probably a bunch you never heard of make them.

Tags
glock