The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
tyrajam

Do you update your manuals?

I guess I have a confession to make: My newest reloading edition was published in 1980. I love reading my old books and I have quite a collection of them, but it seems like by the time something is published it is already out of date. I check the manufacturers websites, especially the powder manufacturers, for updated data. Hodgdons and IMRs websites have better info that the latest printed editions, so I don't see any reason to buy newer hard copies. Do you?
Old October 5, 2009, 12:35 PM   #2
QBall45

I'm not sure how to answer your ?. While its recomeneded to have the printed books... With the internet & access to info... As long as your printing out the load sheeet for referance. I think a guy can get by without updateing.

But, after 29 years you might just want to get a fresh manual or two.
Old October 5, 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
wncchester

If your old book includes the bullet weights and powders you like you would gain nothing by adding newer ones.
Old October 5, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
SL1

I tend to buy a bullet-maker's manual when it is updated to include a new bullet type that want to shoot. Speer and Barnes are examples of really different bullet constructions since the 1980s.

If I bought guns that shoot new cartridges, I would buy a manual for those, too. (But, I don't shoot any of those.)

SL1
Old October 5, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Jim243

I do and I don't. The soft cover manuals I update each year but the hard cover ones it's every other year or when they go on sale. It's nice to get a 29.95 manual for $14.95 (is it out of date?) no because the loads are just about the same. And those new calibers I don't load for like 338 or 416 or 454 or 500.

So I guess the answer is yes and no.

Jim
Old October 5, 2009, 09:26 PM   #6
darkgael

Books

I like books. I like being able to walk over to the shelf, pick one up and look up what I need. I buy new manuals every time new editions are printed.
Pete
Old October 5, 2009, 09:44 PM   #7
confirmed shooter

I like to have the book's around for referance and ease of use. also the sierra soft-ware, Infinity, and the re-loading manuels. Thay all have there place at the re-loading bench, and it wouldnt be right with-out them. And it is kind of fun to see how two authors can have such differant ideas on what is MAX LOAD and MIN LOAD.
Old October 5, 2009, 09:52 PM   #8
10 Spot Terminator

Confusing aint it ???

Reloading manuals are definitely diverse and seem to me to be one of the hardest reloading tools to pick and choose from. You have the ones from the bullet manufacturers that are just that,,, their load with their bullets and often times a "pressure test barrel" was used to get their data. Some others are more diverse in that they incorporate only their powders but a more vast aray of bullets . Then you have ones such as Lyman that list their top choices for powder and bullet selections for given calibres and go so far as to give accuracy ratings ( getting better but their is more ) but update only every few years and touch on only a few of the newer powders and basicly reprint 95% of the old data in a pretty new book . Lee does pretty much the same thing . By the time they go to print and get to the store shelves they are already behind . It is the old show biz trick of always leave em wanting more ,,,,
Old October 5, 2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Ran into a problem the other day when somebody asked me to look up a load and my book didn't have the bullet or the powder, 8 other books also failed to satisfy and then I realized my newest book was bought in 1990. Time to update. Hasn't been a problem so far because most of my guns are old and the loads work fine.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 6, 2009, 02:40 AM   #10
Randy 1911

I have looked up loads in load books by the same maker several years apart in publication. The load data was identical. The makers only update their data every 10 years or so. At least that is what I have noticed.
Old October 6, 2009, 01:01 PM   #11
plainsman456

I buy them every 4 or 5 years or so.Like was said some don't change that much.One thing i never do is get rid of them they are a source of info that is at your beck and call whenever you need it.As for new powders sure they help you,but i wish they would load some of the old ones to tell us if they are the same or hotter.Good Luck
Old October 7, 2009, 12:52 AM   #12
Christchild

If You're trying "new" bullets, get the manual that has data on the new bullet(s). As SL1 said, with the advancement in bullet technology, it's best to update Your manuals for data on the new bullets, and Powder Manufacturer's, for that matter, for updated data, and You can usually get Powder Manufacturer data for free.

Also, I believe that every so often (3-5-8-10 years, maybe?), You should update manuals for the simple fact of updated info. You never know what may change, and some new "Reading Material" is always nice.
Old October 7, 2009, 03:17 AM   #13
butta9999

I update every couple of years, for the reasons of new powders, calibers, and any additional information they might have.