The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 21, 2008, 11:08 PM   #26
JAXX

Not to hijack the the thread here, but to clear up one issue on bear spray. The spray is very effective if you use the proper stuff. If you are in Grizz country, you have to make sure it's of the oil based variety. Too many people use the water based stuff and it is basically just a bigger can of the stuff you can buy for your wife to carry around. You spray a grizz with that stuff and I can guarantee you will have just turned yourself into a tasty meal. Stick with the oil based stuff, like UDAP, it has been PROVEN to be effective. It's not as much of an issue anymore now that the bears are off of the endangered list, but there are still many places where you can't "legally" pack a gun into. Yellowstone park being one example. So for many people, the spray is still the best means of protection they have. Personally, my bear protection is usually the long gun in my scabbard or slung over my shoulder. Good luck to all who travel bear country.