The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 30, 2022, 04:00 PM   #1
awcraig

Pietta 1873 in 45 Colt - Front sight.

I purchased a Pietta 1873 45 Colt about a year and a half ago. I've fired around 500 rounds through it with no problems. Last week I was target shooting with it and after about 30 rounds the front sight just fell off after the last shot. Unfortunately the warranty on this revolver is only for 1 year. I'm wondering if it would be possible to glue it back on with a strong glue such as Loctite Black 426 and if it would withstand the recoil.
Old June 30, 2022, 04:08 PM   #2
wjt4

I wouldn't try to "glue" it on. I would try soldering it on or have it soldered on. It's not hard to do and most shops can solder it on. Now having said that, I'm not sure what the factory actually does to put their sites on. They might do some sort of brazing. I don't think that they would weld it on. Soldering would work and hold relatively well. I've soldered parts on band instruments in the past with a silver solder. Youtube it and you could probably do it yourself.

Bill
Old June 30, 2022, 10:02 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Solder it.
Old June 30, 2022, 11:01 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The issue with glues is losing strength or softening in heat. For a handgun sight, you also have to be concerned about bumping against things and rubbing a holster, especially when it is hot, so you want some strength. Silver brazing (aka, silver soldering) is your best bet. If you don't know how and can't find someone you trust to do it, sending it for factory service is always a possibility.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 30, 2022, 11:17 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

low-temp, high force solder.
Old July 1, 2022, 10:15 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Not as strong as silver braze, but avoids the need to refinish afterward. I'm wondering if he can just ask Pietta what they used originally?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2022, 05:40 PM   #7
awcraig

Update

I contacted the US Distributor for Pietta (EMF) via email: ([email protected]). They informed me that they would have to order a new barrel for my revolver. It took a couple of months, but they paid for the shipping to their facility in California, installed the new barrel and shipped it back to me today. All free of charge. Happy customer.
Old September 1, 2022, 06:38 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Holy cow! They replaced the barrel instead of soldering it back on? That wasn't cost effective but I wouldn't complain.
Old September 2, 2022, 10:54 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It took a couple of months, but they paid for the shipping to their facility in California, installed the new barrel and shipped it back to me today. All free of charge. Happy customer.
Other than the time involved, I'd say customer service doesn't get better than that!!