The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2022, 05:44 PM   #26
FITASC

1-1/8 oz of #8s will destroy your face or kneecaps thus ending the attack. For torso penetration, #1 buck will do nicely
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 24, 2022, 05:52 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

#1 is the best buckshot if you take stock in this:
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/se...ense_ammo_FAQ/

I bought a shload of federal #1 FC. They discontinued it. I think it was a mistake that others didn't buy it. Clearly is "more" of what you want in surface area while giving up nothing in penetration.
Old February 24, 2022, 05:56 PM   #28
dgludwig

For home defense and all that that might imply in terms of penetration, pattern and understanding that how many pellets and how big they are will always be a compromise; my choice is No.4 Buck.
Old February 25, 2022, 02:08 AM   #29
jmr40

Where a shotgun comes into play is outdoors at intermediate ranges between 10-40 yards. This is where the pattern with 9 or more large pellets increases the odds of getting a hit on a moving target. Birdshot may or may not be effective at 10 yards. Certainly not any farther and I don't trust it. If it were all I had, I'd choose the largest shot size I could get my hands on. I have mixed feelings about the smaller buckshot like #4. I suppose it would work, but since IMO a shotgun is an outdoor tool I'd just go straight to 00. And anything other than 00 buck is next to impossible to find.

There is no place inside my home for a shot over 5 yards and in most places 1-3 yards. At close ranges any long gun is cumbersome and risks the possibility of an intruder getting their hands on it. At those ranges I'll choose a handgun to have one free hand. Most common handgun rounds will still penetrate building material, but with HP rounds it does reduce the risk compared to buckshot.

If I were to choose a long gun for indoors work a compact 16" AR is far more compact than most shotguns. And since there is no pattern from a shotgun at 1-5 yards you gain no advantage using a shotgun over a rifle at those ranges. And a softpoint 223 round is the one least likely to penetrate building material. I'd still choose a handgun at indoor ranges, but there is no reason to choose a shotgun over an AR carbine at those ranges.

A handgun, shotgun loaded with 00 buck, and an AR carbine are all part of my HD plan. Each has its place. The handguns indoors, the shotgun if needed for anything in the yard. The AR for longer ranges but could be pressed into service at close or intermediate ranges.

Winston Churchill
Old February 25, 2022, 04:38 AM   #30
Butzbach

I use #4 Buck
Old February 25, 2022, 05:44 PM   #31
DT Guy

Many years ago, a more senior LEO told green young me that you wanted the first three rounds up to be 00 buck, and those following to be slugs. The logic was:
1. If you've shot them three times with buck and it's not 'getting through' to them, you need more penetration
2. If you're moving away (or they are) while still engaging, you need the range of the slug to continue hitting

My HD shottie has 8 rounds of 00 in it with five slugs on a card on the receiver, and lots more buckshot (25 rounds) in my 'holy crap!' chest rig, along with 6 AR mags. I may die, but I hope to die in a pile of my own brass, as the saying goes. Besides, I'm in a REALLY rural area, so I have to plan on holding the fort for 20 minutes or more until the cavalry arrives.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 27, 2022, 09:01 AM   #32
stinkeypete

The longest straight line distance in my house is under 10 yards. (7 yards, diagonal across the basement, through the laundry room door.)

In my experience hunting animals, there are distinct ways to get game:
Penetration to vital organs or central nervous system. “Slow” things like a knife, arrow, subsonic bullets (for the most part, e.g. pistol bullets, muzzle loading balls).

Blood loss and shock from a grievous injury. Perhaps deep penetration from above, or nicking an artery.

Shock and blood pressure spike. Shooting a deer with a high powered rifle can be very different than shooting with a pistol. The supersonic bullet (supersonic in air… but hypersonic in animal flesh) can bring an animal instantly down instantly, much faster than bleeding out.

A shotgun strike may only hit an animal with an inch of penetration, but it does this over a very large area. It’s the shock that brings down bunnies, squirrels, geese and grouse. Massive meat-grinder pulverization to body parts will stop critters.

10 yards: no matter what you use, it’s going to make a fist sized hole in stuff. No matter what choke you have, no matter your barrel length.

From 3 yards, a straight shot at a drywall wall…. It’s going through. If I had to pick though, it’s less invasive than bullets. At an angle, well, you get the idea.

If outside, when you want range of 40 yards, this is when buckshot comes into play. Up to 100 yards… slugs. Slugs are going to lob farther with serious intent, but accuracy is impractical.

I have 1 5/8 oz no.5 birdshot going 1450 fps. You could use that.
I have 1 1/4 oz no. 5 and no. 6 going 1220 fps that I prefer because it patterns better at 50 yards for pheasants. That would work.

Anyone that insists you need some kind of special home defense ammo indoors at less than 10 yards.. heck, put on a ballistic vest and have Bubba shoot you with a skeet load of 1 1/4 oz of no. 8 at 1220 fps. No! don’t! A perfect hit on a ballistic vest will be survivable.

That load will also destroy an arm, leg, or face. So even if you’re attacked by deadly ninjas in body armor, pellet size won’t penetrate but whatever hits flesh will cause massive damage, shock, and let’s just say “deter a bad guy.”

No one is going to make money selling “special” hunting ammo. (Wait, they do, some is baloney and some (tungsten) I will take a crate of for free, please! (I am cheap, lead still works fine for me.)

What the cops and military use is one thing. Their intent is not in your house at 6 yards. I’m not out on patrol, you and me are just asleep in the house and ninjas showed up with katanas and throwing stars in the night.

It just doesn’t matter what you shoot. An ounce of pellets at 1200 fps is a giant hole. Shoot some old washing machine at the dump and see for yourself.

Cripes, Dick Cheney nearly killed a guy with 28ga. Dove load at 30 yards.

Last edited by stinkeypete; February 27, 2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old February 27, 2022, 09:53 AM   #33
MarkCO

Wow stinkypete! The hyperbole is strong in your post.

Instead of shooting washing machines, maybe spend some time in a coroner's office or actually researching wound theory and actual wounding of humans shot with birdshot. You have grossly stretched facts to meet your opinion.
Old February 28, 2022, 06:34 AM   #34
kymasabe

I'm old school. Pump 12 gauge with 00 buck. I don't trust semi-auto's, and I don't trust birdshot (unless I'm hunting birds or shooting clays ).
Old February 28, 2022, 10:44 AM   #35
Pumpkin

I gotta agree with stinkypete.
Old February 28, 2022, 11:26 AM   #36
stinkeypete

Mark, I shot a lot of alive animals and personally observed what happened.

I’ve shot thousands of rounds of shotgun, mostly at little targets moving fast. I worked at a hospital for years.

My opinion is that all this “home defense ammunition” stuff is nonsense to sell overpriced ammo to fellas that will shoot less than 25 rounds for the entire life of the shotgun.

There is simply not enough data on how many people are shot at close range with birdshot.

Hunting accidents with birdshot indicate hospitalization even at 30 yards.

My hobby is shooting shotguns and pistols, butchering the results on animals, and then cooking delicious meals with the meat.

If you enjoy the hobby of arguing about which ammo is better at less than 10 yards, fine.

I will stand by my challenge to take your shotgun out and actually shoot some stuff at 10 yards.
Old February 28, 2022, 02:10 PM   #37
Bill DeShivs

I have told this story before.
I personally know both people in this story.
A man was shot in the right chest with a load of #8 shot from a Remington 1100. This was in a small apartment bedroom. The man that was shot ran 35 yards before dropping from blood loss. In the ER (which was VERY close by,) they pulled the plastic wad off of his spine. He lost part of his lung, but recovered fully.
Would heavier shot have killed him? Maybe.
Was the wound grievous? Certainly.
He was high on alcohol and cocaine.
Old February 28, 2022, 02:14 PM   #38
MarkCO

stinkeypete...I actually shoot a lot of stuff too. My boys and I have shot well over 1000 birds some seasons. I am probably one of very few to actually shoot a bull Elk with a shotgun. Some of my work is for LEAs and some for manufacturer's in testing. But I don't based my opinions on those solely. I have had the opportunity to work on a lot of shootings, intentional and accidental, as an expert. Bird and buck shootings, both intentional and accidental inclusive.

The data is out there, I have some of it. I think you would be amazed at how many survive birdshot hits from 10 to 20 yards (vast majority) and at how few are incapacitated by such.

Your choice of course. But knowledge is a benefit that some would prefer.
Old March 1, 2022, 01:22 PM   #39
stinkeypete

Mark, respect. Elk hunting with a shotgun means hunting more, waiting more, calling better, stalking more and less bloodshot meat. But, you use a slug, right?

The OP was talking about in the house, so probably around 8 yards. He was concerned about overpenetration. In this particular case, I put out the idea that an ounce and a quarter of #5 birdshot (as I hunt pheasants, it’s what I have boxes of) is within measurement error of anything. An ounce and a quarter of any lead shot. Or take it up a notch and I wager tungsten is better than lead. Sorry, that’s a red herring.

Bill’s story confirms it’s a massive wound and reminds us that the goal is to deter an attacker, not necessarily kill them. Shot placement is crucial.

The world record grizzly bear was taken with one shot from a .22 Long Rifle. I’ve had deer run away for a mile when I hit with a .454 Casull. I still feel bad about that shot.

Indoors. 8 yards.

I think we can all agree that the rubber buckshot I saw at the gun store yesterday is a shockingly bad idea. Shockingly bad idea. Lethal enough to kill sometimes, and if it’s not “me or them”… don’t shoot!

Outdoors, at 40 yards… we are in complete agreement.

Last edited by stinkeypete; March 1, 2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old March 1, 2022, 04:00 PM   #40
FITASC

I agree StinkyPete; I to have fired hundreds of thousands of shotgun rounds; just yesterday did some patterning at 20yards - the indentations my #8 running 1275 did to the steel plate would indicate some serious enough penetration; and if the perp is wearing a vest, the destruction of a knee incapacitates him and if you need another shot, he will in serious kimchee. Not saying some form of buck isn't a decent round to have, but a load of birdshot; especially large shot, will do the job at typical inside the home distances.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 2, 2022, 02:01 AM   #41
Drm50

Put up some plywood and see the differences in penetration of the different size shot. I will bet a trap load will bounce of plywood at 30 yds, at 5yds it will blow off limbs. In my life I have seen 3 men shot with shotgun. All accidents, happened loading or unloading. One death was slug, one #5s. The other guy lost a big chunk of meat out of his biceps.
I don’t believe in all the ammo hype either. Whether it be SD or hunting ammo. People with to much time on their hands obsess over that stuff. I go with plain #4 buck in shotgun and cast lead for all my revolvers & 45acp. Only jackets are 9mm.
Old March 2, 2022, 06:27 AM   #42
ATN082268

It all depends...

What 12 Gauge shell you use for home defense will depend a lot on your own particular situation. I like the Federal flite control 12 Gauge 00 Buckshot. At very close ranges, like indoors, it stays together well, so the target will likely get the whole load. If used outside, it will pattern well out to at least 30 yards. There isn't much difference between Buckshot loads for most indoor situations but flite control starts to really shine at 10 yards. Flite control just gives you flexibility regarding effective shots at longer ranges. If over penetration is a key factor, then maybe #4 Buckshot.

Last edited by ATN082268; March 2, 2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old March 3, 2022, 04:31 PM   #43
wild cat mccane

Anyone who likes #4 is admitting the benefit of #1
Old March 3, 2022, 05:04 PM   #44
dgludwig

Pellet count counts.
Old March 3, 2022, 05:07 PM   #45
Rob228

Quote:
ho likes #4 is admitting the benefit of #1
Only because #4 is slightly easier to find than #1 (at least in my area)
Old March 4, 2022, 03:06 PM   #46
Ukrainitz

Lots of good input from everyone. Do you live in an apt, close neighborhood? if so, I would stick to bird shot. 00 buck for us hillbillies who live among bears.
Side note: if you have dogs and the barking is getting louder, the bear is getting closer
Old March 7, 2022, 05:42 AM   #47
RMcL

T Buck

Perhaps a cogent case for high antimony lead T-Buck can be made.
Twenty caliber and 38 pellets to the ounce.

Unfortunately such a load is currently a handloading proposition.
Old March 7, 2022, 09:12 AM   #48
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcL View Post
Perhaps a cogent case for high antimony lead T-Buck can be made.
Twenty caliber and 38 pellets to the ounce.

Unfortunately such a load is currently a handloading proposition.
$13 a pop, but the guys using this for Turkey call it a gamechanger. It is impressive.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shots...SSX193F+7.html
Old March 16, 2022, 12:06 AM   #49
stinkeypete

It turns out that Paul Herrel has more information on this than you can shake a stick at. It's also fun to watch him shoot drywall and meat targets with birdshot and buckshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
Yes, buckshot goes through drywall, bird shot far less so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5N5tfMuX4
What about waterfowl loads? 20 and 12 gauge steel duck shot. Yup. Fist sized holes in the meat target yet no overpenetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kLVBDThog
No. 6 pheasant loads vs Turkey loads... 20 and 12 ga.. which is better? Fist sized holes and a surprising result.

You can look at the mutilated meat targets and decide for yourself. And it's a guilty pleasure listening to Paul's dry sense of humor and watching the meat targets get splattered.
Old April 26, 2022, 04:29 PM   #50
S_Constitutionist

Birdshot is not for self defense.

If you are concerned about over penetration, you should be using a light weight high velocity rifle round. 55gr 5.56 does a great job, which is why most entry teams have dropped shotguns and subguns for it.