The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 22, 2022, 09:23 AM   #1
bspillman

Mossberg ATR 100

I picked up a Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06. I picked it up on a wym. After getting it home I googled searched and found that it’s no longer in production. It seems to get good reviews, is there anyone on here that uses one? How’s it holding up over the years? Thanks.
Old October 22, 2022, 12:44 PM   #2
taylorce1

Not an ATR but stagpanther had/has a Mossberg Patriot in .375 Ruger that has given him many of fits. If you use the search function I'm sure you'll find his posts. I've never owned an ATR or shot one, I thought there were better budget rifles available.
Old October 22, 2022, 02:23 PM   #3
Scorch

It's an entry level rifle, but you already knew that because it didn't cost a lot. Accuracy from them is OK generally. They had a reputation for being a hunk o' junk mostly because of rust issues, but they aren't totally bad. If it breaks, they are not terribly hard to fix.
Old October 22, 2022, 06:50 PM   #4
GlenF

Got one 13 years ago. No rust yet.

It's light weight, so recoil is real. Accuracy is OK, but I hand load so finding the best combination for most accurate took a while.

If I had it to do again, I would still buy one of these.
Old October 28, 2022, 04:05 PM   #5
gunhappy

Had a 270 for awhile. Shot very accurately but traded it to a buddy for something I wanted more at the time. He's killed a couple deer with it and has no complaints
Old October 31, 2022, 04:20 AM   #6
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspillman View Post
I picked up a Mossberg ATR 100 in 30-06. I picked it up on a wym. After getting it home I googled searched and found that it’s no longer in production. It seems to get good reviews, is there anyone on here that uses one? How’s it holding up over the years? Thanks.
I have one in 450 Bushmaster. Got my $250 worth I guess.
Old October 31, 2022, 05:10 AM   #7
stagpanther

See if you can find a manual or inspect one before buying. Hopefully it's not as bad as the patriot. I know millions will swear their patriots have served them flawlessly--but if you examine them closely, how they are made and put together--big nope, inherently failure-prone IMO.
Old November 1, 2022, 09:44 AM   #8
jmr40

The basic design has been around since the early 90's when they were known as the Raptor rifle company. They were intended to be the least expensive bolt rifle on the market. And they succeeded.

They were only in business for a couple of years before they failed. But Charter Arms bought the rights to the design and made the rifle under their name for a couple of years before dropping them.

When Mossberg bought the rights to produce the rifle, they did a lot to improve QC and offered enough different versions of the rifle to appeal to a lot of different gun owners. And their timing was at about the time when there were a lot of other budget guns being offered.

I never cared for any of the versions, but by all accounts, they are decently accurate, and they fill a niche for a lot of people.

Winston Churchill
Old November 1, 2022, 11:13 AM   #9
MarkCO

Accurate enough for an inexpensive Deer rifle. No frills, and a higher rate of lemons than one might expect. Oldest has one in .243 that shoots okay, and he likes it. I have it in my mind to swap it out for something a little nicer now that he is 21.