The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

mossberg 500 cartridge stop

Got a mossberg 500 retrograde that is acting weird. The cartridge stop was failing to release shells regularly. I tested it with about 5 brands on ammo, federal, winchester, spartain, centurion, remington. the only one that fed cleanly was remington. federal was the worst, and the others only had a few failures to feed. a tap on the side of the receiver would cause the shells to feed. I measured the bases, all .881 except remington coming in at .882

I have another 500, long vent rib turkey gun. went to try and swap out the cartridge stop and noticed the new one has a dimple in it. I swapped the parts and the retrograde ran perfectly. i put the dimpled shell stop in my old gun and it ran fine too.

Not sure exactly what to make of it. based on the placement of the dimple I would think it would keep the shell stop from depressing as far, making it stiffer, possibly to keep shells from falling out? with it being just a dimple I wonder if it could be out of spec?

Going to shoot off message to mossberg, but does anyone know when or why this was changed?

stuck shell

dimple

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimple.jpg (526.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg stuck.jpg (127.6 KB, 118 views)
Old September 22, 2022, 10:43 AM   #2
Shadow9mm

Mossberg responded, less than 24hrs, sending a new interrupter and shell stop.