The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 28, 2017, 07:21 AM   #1
adamBomb

Traveling to NJ

I am traveling to NJ for a week. Am I allowed bring a handgun, locked/unloaded during travel, to the vacation home? I would really like to have protection at the home I am staying at.
Old June 28, 2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Doyle

Only if you want to go to jail. NJ is probably the least gun-friendly state in the union.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:25 AM   #3
FITASC

You might get away with a 12 ga pump, but a handgun is usually a no-no in NJ
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 28, 2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Don P

Not unless you have a permit from the state of NJ. Totally illegal to have a handgun in the state of NJ if you are not a resident with a permit or LE from the state of NJ. A person that was traveling by plane was forced to spend a night in NJ, no fault of his own. When he arrived at the airport the following day he was placed under arrest for having a handgun in his possession. They knew about the gun because he declared it at his departure state, following the law.
Protection, I suggest a Louisville Slugger
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:47 AM   #5
P5 Guy

In a state that says a museum piece flintlock pistol is unlawful to own without a pistol permit. A state that bans slingshots is not a state I'd trust to honor the FOPA.
Leave all firearms and knives at your residence and take not a one to New Jersey.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:55 AM   #6
jmhyer

No offense, Adam... But you're currently in coastal NC and you're going to Jersey to vacation?
Old June 28, 2017, 12:00 PM   #7
adamBomb

Quote:
No offense, Adam... But you're currently in coastal NC and you're going to Jersey to vacation?
Lol, its to visit family. Its anything but a real vacation lol.
Old June 28, 2017, 12:17 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Don't take ANY guns into NJ. Its the safest thing to do, legally. Even though YOU might be in full compliance with Federal law, NJ officials may not be. They've done it before.

Also, your situation (staying for a week) means you would NOT be under the protection of the Federal FOPA.

SO, in order for you to legally have a firearm in NJ, you would have to comply with ALL NJ LAWS. If you don't (and you really cannot, since you are not a resident of NJ), then you would be breaking NJ law, and they will prosecute, and convict you.

The only real option you have is to leave your guns at home, accepting the risk to your physical safety to give you legal safety from "illegal gun possession" charges.

The best solution, though seldom possible is to stay with a NJ resident who has a legal permitted gun. Good Luck!
Old June 28, 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Don P

Quote:
A state that bans slingshots is not a state I'd trust to honor the FOPA.
FOAP mean absolutely squat. He plans on staying for a week and the FOAP did squat for the fellow flying that was forced to stay overnight and was placed under arrest the following morning
Old June 28, 2017, 12:43 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
on't take ANY guns into NJ. Its the safest thing to do, legally. Even though YOU might be in full compliance with Federal law, NJ officials may not be. They've done it before.

Also, your situation (staying for a week) means you would NOT be under the protection of the Federal FOPA.
Why I suggested a shotgun. Thousands of out of state gun owners come to NJ every year to participate in shotgun sporting and waterfowl hunting - all without going to jail.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 28, 2017, 01:39 PM   #11
TomNJVA

You really don't need a gun in NJ - it's a very safe place and the police will protect you!
Old June 28, 2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Handgun - don't do it.

Another vote for a shotty.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:10 PM   #13
JERRYS.

keep your freedom and tell the family to come see you in NC.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:13 PM   #14
FITASC

He can easily go to NJ as well. For those who have never been there, there really ARE some nice scenic places there.........
Old June 28, 2017, 07:55 PM   #15
NJgunowner

There's some good info and bad info in this thread.

The guy who got arrested at the airport was eventually had the charges dropped, though they put him through hell for a bit.

Bringing a shotgun is a TERRIBLE idea. If you can't prove you brought for a sporting event, you'll regret it.

You don't actually need a permit to own a pistol in NJ. You can bring any number with you if you MOVE here or inherit them and they aren't illegal in this state (or you're a prohibited person). You only need a permit to BUY a handgun in the state of NJ. Just be prepared to prove you bought legally living out of state. Not that it matters since you aren't moving here.

Fopa doesn't even come close to applying so I'm not sure why it was even mentioned.

The best advice you got though was DON'T bring a gun to NJ. If you can't prove you brought it for hunting (which means it better be the right season) or a tournament you could be in a lot of trouble if you got caught with it.
Old June 28, 2017, 08:03 PM   #16
FITASC

Those places who hold tournaments are also open to the public when they're not having a tournament

One such place is M&M:
http://mmhunting.com/sporting-clays/

Griffin and Howe are in Northern NJ:
http://griffinhowe.com/sporting-clays/

Again, folks come from all over to go there for tournaments, practice, lessons and a good time. They couldn't stay open if the only folks going there were from NJ.
Old June 28, 2017, 10:11 PM   #17
Screwball

Traveling to NJ

NJ law is subjective at best...

Outside residences coming in with a firearm, if you have a specific reason for a long gun or handgun (range or competition), you are fine... judging you have magazines 15 rounds or under and the firearm isn't an Assault Weapon or banned by name (can look up NJ law, but very similar to the old Federal AWB). Other exception being LEOSA, but if you don't fall under that, gun goes straight to the intended location and then back out of state. Until they figure out this "reasonable deviation" BS, you kind of need to consider that driving aimlessly around might be an issue if you get pulled over/firearms are discovered.

That is the same for NJ residents and handguns. You can't go to the range with your pistol, then run errands with it in the trunk... in the way the law is written. The same goes for NJ residents with long guns, without a FID.

If you have a NJ FID, which I believe outside residents can get (pointless unless you are bringing long guns into NJ regularly or will buy long guns from NJ FFLs), you can leave a long gun in your vehicle and do figure-eights around the cloverleaves of any major highway you want. No problems with going anywhere, but do remember... if your vehicle is broken into, you have a firearm on the street. In regards to casing it and securing ammo, that is left to your best judgement for long guns... but if you get into a major accident, having shotguns and rifles skewed across the road isn't the best thing for an officer/Trooper to arrive to. Same to consider if you get pulled over, do you really want to draw attention/deal with the hassle for having an uncased long gun in the back seat? And if the person pulling you over doesn't know the law exactly, probably going to be jammed up for it.

The horror stories you hear tend to be people carrying a handgun legally in another state, crossing the border, and being stopped/admitting they have a firearm on them. While I think it is a stupid set of laws, you should know the laws for any state you carry in. If you are nearby a state that is very aggressive towards firearms, it would be a good idea to look up the laws, and make it a point NOT to bring a loaded firearm across the bridge.

But you also get people that think everything in NJ is illegal. If you own your own business, you can legally carry a handgun at the place of business (has to have a physical, stationary location). You can legally carry while on your property... like cutting your grass. Start waving the gun around at people, then you are breaking the law...

Last edited by Screwball; June 28, 2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old June 29, 2017, 06:37 AM   #18
Don P

Quote:
The guy who got arrested at the airport was eventually had the charges dropped, though they put him through hell for a bit.
What was the financial cost, as well as the mental toll and time invested in clearing himself?
Old June 29, 2017, 09:29 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Quote:
What was the financial cost, as well as the mental toll and time invested in clearing himself?
The guy's name was Revell (or Revel?), IIRC. The cost in $$$ was significant, although I believe some pro-2A groups chipped in to help him with legal costs. But, beyond that, not only was his trip "rudely interrupted," he spent a weekend in the slammer because he did what he thought the law allowed and required.

However, the arrest was by the New York New Jersey Port Authority Police, not the State Police or some local or country NJ officer, so it may not be a perfect precedent for someone driving in by automobile.
Old June 29, 2017, 09:45 AM   #20
g.willikers

Quote:
keep your freedom and tell the family to come see you in NC.
Yup.
Or give the members of your family, who want to see NJ relatives, a handful of bus tickets.
Old June 29, 2017, 11:17 AM   #21
P5 Guy

Quote:
A state that bans slingshots is not a state I'd trust to honor the FOPA.
FOAP mean absolutely squat. He plans on staying for a week and the FOAP did squat for the fellow flying that was forced to stay overnight and was placed under arrest the following morning
If the state refuses to honor a federal law who would expect more leniency for that state's own laws. Again, DO NOT take any firearm into NJ.
During your week in NJ you are as likely to never need to defend yourself from thugs of any type.
Old June 30, 2017, 09:17 AM   #22
jnichols2

Johnny Cash said it:

"Leave your guns at home son, leave your guns at home."
Old June 30, 2017, 07:29 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
A state that bans slingshots is not a state I'd trust..
I'm not entirely certain NJ bans slingshots, though everyone seems to think so, a careful reading of the law might show differently.

I recall hearing about one jurisdiction, I think it was in NY, but might have been in NJ, where "slingshots" were banned. Someone did some digging, because, after all banning a kids slingshot??? sounded stupid.

He found out that the current ordnance "banning slingshots" was copied from an old 1800s law that banned "slung shot".

They sound a lot alike, but there is a significant difference between a slingshot, and "slung shot". Slung shot is NOT the past tense of slingshot.

Slung shot is shot "slung" (fired) from a sling. Think David and Goliath, that kind of sling (or a staff sling), and is entirely capable of being lethal. "Sling bullets" are round or oval, often lead, and the sling is capable of much, much higher velocity than the rubber band or tubing used in a kid's slingshot.

If I remember right, the law was rewritten and kids got to keep their slingshots.
Old June 30, 2017, 11:19 PM   #24
Screwball

They are banned in NJ...

What happened (from how I was told it went down), legislation was passed to ban slung shots (David/Goliath). At the time, people were using them to strike people during a theft.

So it all goes through, voted, and when the person typing it up looked at it, they figured that they misspelled slingshot. Fixed it, and never was changed.

In essence, the thing they wanted to ban was still legal, and something they didn't want to ban was made illegal.
Old July 3, 2017, 02:19 AM   #25
Snyper

Don't take any firearms, and don't take any ammunition of any sort.
The odds of being arrested are higher than the odds of needing to defend yourself.
Carry a heavy cane and limp if you have to.

Quote:
Slung shot is shot "slung" (fired) from a sling. Think David and Goliath, that kind of sling (or a staff sling), and is entirely capable of being lethal.
That's not even close.
"Slung shot" is a weight on a "sling" that can be used as a striking weapon similar to a mace:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slungshot
Quote:
A slungshot is a maritime tool consisting of a weight, or "shot," affixed to the end of a long cord often by being wound into the center of a knot called a "monkey's fist." It is used to cast line from one location to another, often mooring line.

The cord end is tied to the heavier line and the weighted end of the slungshot is thrown across the intervening space where a person picks it up and pulls the line across.

The slungshot was often used as a civilian or improvised weapon; however, the rope was much shorter for use as a weapon. The cord is tied around the wrist, and the weight is carried in the hand or the pocket of the user. A slungshot may be swung in a manner similar to that of a flail.

Abraham Lincoln's most notable criminal trial occurred in 1858 when he successfully defended "Duff" Armstrong, on a charge of killing another with a slung shot.

They were widely used by criminals and street gang members in the 19th century as they had the advantage of being easy to make, silent, and very effective, particularly against an unsuspecting opponent.

This gave them a dubious reputation, similar to that of switchblade knives in the 1950s, and they were outlawed in many jurisdictions. The use as a criminal weapon continued at least up until the early 1920s.[1]