The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Ironworker

What would O'Conner think of the 270WSM

So 3100 FPS out of his 270 ? I wonder what happen to his rifle or rifles ? How old was he when he died ? What was cause of death ? Any how With 63.5 grs Re#17 I'm getting 3125 with a 140 gr Berger. Plus I have room to increase the charge. I'm shooting a Winchester Mod 70 is MOA best this rifle can do ? I've had it glass bedded. Would truing the action do any good ?.............. Just looked up his web page my questions about him were answered .

Last edited by Ironworker; February 12, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old February 12, 2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Stumper

One of the joys of reading Jack O'Conner was his practical objectivity. He didn't get all wound up over supposed magic calibers or muzzle blasts that added no real downrange effect. I think that Jack would acknowledge the obvious effectiveness of the short magnum.......and quietly point out that it really offers nothing important above the .270 win....or the .284 if one wants a short action. If Jack were alive and writing today I think that he would frequently point out that the 7mm-08 is a marvelous cartridge -emulating the good old 7x57 in a handy package and giving all the flatness of trajectory of any practical hunting use given the capabilities of 99% of shooters. ....and of course it is far deadlier than a magnum for most trigger trippers since it doesn't blast and pound them into quivering puddles of protoplasm.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old February 13, 2010, 02:39 AM   #3
Ironworker

Practical objectivity

I need more of that in many area of my life. My guns I'm always pushing the envelope ! Why ? Driving a car I have a lead foot .Why ? Didn't Daniel Boon shoot a Grizzly Bear with a Musket ? No doubt the well placed shot. I went Black Bear hunting and the guide said "If you can shoot him behind the ear! It will kill them instantly " Did I listen ?No I shot him with a 300 RUM 200 gr Nosler Accubonds at 3,200 fps It took 3 shots in the boiler room to kill .I just had to see how my hand loads would perform. Guide and butcher both said "I lost a lot of meat"
Old February 13, 2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Shoney

This Jack O'Conner question is about the same as, "If a mouse pharts in the woods, does that phart apply enough force to alter the path of a falling tree."
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 13, 2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Ironworker

What have

Uh what has Shoney been smoking ?
Old February 13, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6
thekyrifleman

He'd say "get a 280, it's a better caliber"!!!