The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 20, 2001, 12:49 PM   #1
Jeff Thomas

I see full auto / Class III AK's for sale from time to time- $7K to $10K. I've always assumed these AK's are like any other Class III ... that is, 'civilians' could purchase them, if willing to go through all the Class III hoops.

True? Another fellow says these are only available to LEO's, movie companies, etc.

Thanks.

Regards from AZ
Old February 20, 2001, 01:35 PM   #2
Spatula

OMG, $7K-$10K!!!

That seems to be a bit high. Well I haven't pay attention to the price of AK recently, that can be true
Anyway, in order to legally own a C-3 item as a civilian in the US, first you have to live in one of those C-3 states. For any non-domestic MG's, you have to find out the background of the gun. Most of the MG's in private hands are semi-auto conversions, which are fully transferable 'til May '86. No foreign MG's are transferable after '64 (there are few in very extreme cases, most of them are pre-86 dealer sample anyway). Any factory new MG's after '64 are LE/C-3 dealers only. There is no way to tell the origin of a MG by appearance as many conversions are so detailed.
Old February 20, 2001, 03:46 PM   #3
Rex Feral

I've been looking for a C-III AK to turn into a 7.62 Krink, I was blown away when I found out $8K was about the going rate.

I think I'll buy an M-16 for $5-6K and slap a "Commando" upper on it instead!
Old February 20, 2001, 06:16 PM   #4
The Rock

If you can find an AK on a Form 3, then you should be able to own it as a civilian, as long as you fill out the form, do the fingerprints, etc.

Check http://www.subguns.com for their message board. Lots of cool stuff. Beware that most stuff is $$$. The cheapest Title II/NFA weapon (the official name) is one of the M11 in 9mm for about a grand. Surpressors go from $500 and up.

Check to make sure that your state will let you play with NFA stuff and then go from there.

Doesn't matter whether foreign or domestic, as long as it was registered before the ban in 1986. If so, then you should be cool. There are some Pre-86 Dealer Samples that can only be held by a dealer, but most of the pre 86 stuff is good for us to own. Silencers, SBRs, SBSs and AOWs were exempted from the 1986 ban.

Check out subguns!

TR
Molon Labe
Old February 20, 2001, 11:41 PM   #5
Lance Gothic

Brothers & Sister-at-Arms,
Jeff Thomas,
Go to: http://www.cfiarms.com/
Also check your latest issue of Shotgun News.
A Fabian Brothers muzzle device will help to prevent the "climb" quite well!
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi