The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1
50osu50

Suppressor advice

I own a S&W mp15 sport. I want to get a suppressor for it because anyone who has shot an AR knows that it is louder than you know what. Id like to do some coyote hunting on my property and not worry about the gun shot waking up my wife. My question is what do I need to do/get to install the suppressor? Can I remove the existing muzzle brake and install some sort of adapter? Any comments and tips will be much appreciated!

P.S. I understand the whole application and tax stamp process I'm just looking for installation tips.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Sharkbite

The A2 style flashider currently on the rifle just screws off. That leaves you with a threaded muzzle with a 1/2x28 thread pitch.

Some suppressors will thread directly onto that thread pitch. Some will use a separate Quick detach type muzzle device. As an example my AAC SDN-6 can uses the AAC 51t flashhider as its attachment point.

I have the 51t FH on all the guns i want to use this can on. So i just move the can from rifle to rifle as i want

Direct thread is a bit cheaper cause you dont have to buy the QD attachments for all the rifle. The QD systems lock the can on the gun better. You'll need to decide which system you like
Old December 16, 2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Captains1911

What Sharkbite said.

As for the noise reduction, just be aware that a suppressed 5.56/.223 is still quite loud unless it is subsonic ammo. I compare it to that of an unsuppressed .22LR. You may want to consider getting a 300BLK upper and a .30 caliber can. I'm not much of a hunter, but I would think subsonic 300BLK is still enough for coyotes, and with the .30 caliber can you can suppress anything .30 and smaller.
Old December 16, 2014, 04:10 PM   #4
Sharkbite

I have both a 556 SBR and a 300blk SBR. Of the 2 the 300blk is much better suppressed then the 556. The 556 with subsonic ammo is silly quiet but that ammo will not function the action. Basically turning your AR into a straight pull bolt action rifle.

The 300blk WILL cycle subsonic ammo and the round hitting a steel tgt at 100yds is MUCH louder then the gun firing.

So, if the OP is looking for advice on what platform to suppress. Id say 300blk. If he is looking for a way to put a can on his 556 AR, see the above post.

One final thought. If you have not bought a can yet...seriously look into getting a 30 cal can. You are able to run it on your 556 gun without issue and it will allow you to suppress 308 on down. A 556 can will not have that versatility. Cans are expensive plus the tax stamp just adds to it. A 30cal can gets you the most bang for your buck (pun intended)

Tags
installation , s&w m&p 15 , silencer , suppressors