The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2017, 07:17 PM   #26
ms6852

I would get a powder dispenser and throw away the powder scoops.
I would get a table press and throw away the handheld press.
I would also get lube for the brass cases.
Old November 13, 2017, 07:54 PM   #27
cw308

As condor bravo mentioned a bullet puller , an your ready to go , never used a hand press or loaded at the range but for now it will do the job. When your ready for a mounted press , you can't go wrong with a single stage RCBS Rock chucker , its the one an only press I've been using for 25+ years . Never had a problem with it , dies too . Now get going an do some reloads. Welcome to the club. Chris
Old November 13, 2017, 09:05 PM   #28
RC20

Quote:
One out of 3 is a good batting average.

lube is critical.
Old November 15, 2017, 07:27 AM   #29
Aikia

that's all great and you've gotten lots of good advice but I don't see any thing to clean your brass. A cheap and viable set up I use is the double tumbler from Harbor freight and SS pins. Check it out on you-tube there's tons of vids on how it's done.
Old November 15, 2017, 09:28 AM   #30
Nathan

Quote:
^^^If your goal is to make ammo to shoot in any reasonable quantity, these items are key....

If you just want to putz around, then ignore my advice.

From what I gather from your initial post is tou are looking to dip your toes in with reloading and load 38 spcl.

You need:
Bench
Bench mounted quality press
Scale
Powder measure
Dies
Calipers

You want:
Case cleaner
Scale check weights

You may want to consider:
Case gage
Case trimmer
Case prep tools
Turret or Progressive press
Powder dispenser
Other toys!
Old November 15, 2017, 11:55 AM   #31
kmw1954

Son did you get started on that room under the stairs yet?

Makes me think of the horror movie "The People Who Lived Under the Stairs". Just kidding. Sounds like it should be a great space once you get it done.
Old November 15, 2017, 12:54 PM   #32
RC20

I built up a reload bench in a closet (no stairs of course) in a 10 foot camp trailer.

Worked fine for pistol.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:06 AM   #33
SonOfScubaDiver

Well, I wasn't able to put my order in this weekend. Gonna hafta to wait at least until next payday. It would be nice if I had been born with more money instead of so good looking! (Mac Davis anyone?) Hehehehe!
Old November 20, 2017, 11:21 AM   #34
hounddawg

for cleaning just plain old soap and water in a bucket will do the trick until you get a tumbler of some sort. It won't make them shiny but as long as the dirt is off so they won't scratch the dies they are good to go. Shiny is purty but trust me clean and shiny don't shoot any better than clean and dull.

I used a wood lathe with a piece of 4 inch PVC and caps to dry tumble for years. When I sold my lathe all I did for about 3- 4 years was wash my cases with some hot water, detergent and a teaspoon of white vinegar then dried them on a towel. I never noticed any group size changes because my cases did not shine.
Old November 20, 2017, 11:30 AM   #35
dahermit

Quote:
Personally I like digital scales. They are quicker, more accurate (make me feel better) and versatile to me.
I have been loading since the sixties and have gone through three digital scales. All three eventually failed. Also during that time, I have had three balance beam scales...one burned in a house fire, I sold one when moving and there other is still in use. Digital scales may have some apparent advantages, but mechanical balance beam scales do not fail.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:00 PM   #36
RC20

I do want to be clear, I don't feel beams are bad.

But yes they can fail. Different sort of failure. They can be damaged to where they won't work and you have a failure on your hands.

For me, they are slower (too slow) , they are hard to settle down and they are not versatile.

Yes you are right. Digitals in all likely hood will fail.

Question is does the convenience and vastly more versatile of a digital overcome the failure?

Its a matter of what works best for a person, not what is right or wrong.

I won't go back to a beam, I won't recommend it to a new re loader because I think the digital is a major improvement.

If they feel a beam is the better solution after weight the pro and con, good to go.
Old November 20, 2017, 09:52 PM   #37
hounddawg

those who reload for any length of time usually acquire both a digital and a beam scale. My beam keeps the digital honest
Old November 27, 2017, 08:53 AM   #38
SonOfScubaDiver

Well, I am disappointed. I got up this morning, ready to place my order with Midway, and they are out of stock on the hand loader and dies. I didn't bother looking anything else on my list looked up. I signed up to be notified when they're back in stock. I tried Amazon, but their prices are higher, so I guess I'm going to have to wait.
Old November 27, 2017, 04:13 PM   #39
cw308

Did you try Midsouth Shooters Supply on par with MidwayUSA.
Old November 27, 2017, 06:11 PM   #40
dahermit

Quote:
But yes they can fail. Different sort of failure. They can be damaged to where they won't work and you have a failure on your hands.
My digital scales failed spontaneously. Balance Beam scales, on the other hand, must be wrecked via accident, negligence, misadventure, etc., whereas digital scales can just up and quit for no physically apparent reason. I got tired of buying new digital and have not replaced my current balance beam for at least 25 years.
Old November 28, 2017, 09:01 AM   #41
SonOfScubaDiver

kmw1954, No, I haven't done anything with the room under the stairs other than clean it. My daughter came over to visit the other day and she thinks it's creepy that I'm going to use that space. She says it's too small, but what does she know? LOL Long as I keep the door open, e'erthing's gonna be just fine!
Old November 28, 2017, 09:09 AM   #42
SonOfScubaDiver

Yay! Midway sent me an email this morning, and I got the order placed! Woohoo!

Someone mentioned a method to clean my brass. For at least the first run or two I am just gonna use dishsoap and vinegar. I may find out that I don't like reloading as much as I think I will, so I'm holding off on a few things. I've got a closet under my stairs to turn into a reloading room, and will probably go ahead and get a bench mounted press, regular powder dispenser, and a tumbler when I'm ready to move the operation there.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:46 AM   #43
kmw1954

Keep in mind that everything you buy doesn't have to be new. My presses, dies, scale and powder measure were all bought used from ebay. Saved a good amount of money that way and the stuff still works great.

For cleaning brass I just use dish soap and Lemishine in a small plastic jar and tumble it on it's self. Comes clean enough for me.
Old November 30, 2017, 07:16 PM   #44
jetinteriorguy

Another easy way to clean, first deprime, then mix about a tablespoon of citric acid used in canning and a squirt of Dawn. Add this to about a gallon of hot tap water and stir for a few minutes. Let them soak for about ten minutes, then drain and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Then roll them mostly dry on an old towel, put them on an old cookie sheet in the oven at 220 degrees for a half hour and your good to go. You can find the citric acid in the canning dept. at Wally World.
Old December 1, 2017, 05:16 AM   #45
SonOfScubaDiver

So....I tried the oven thing a few days ago and the brads got discolored a little bit. Is that normal? The oven was set to 200.
Old December 3, 2017, 02:09 AM   #46
SonOfScubaDiver

Well, my goodies arrived today! Woohoo! I did manage to forget one important piece though--the little bowl thingy the powder goes into before weighing. Oooops! lol Maybe they'll have one at one of the local gun shops. At any rate, I'm very happy that I will soon be able to start reloading.