The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 1, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
MikeGunz

Spring Turkey Advice

I just completed my hunters safety course and plan on hunting turkey during the spring season. I have a few questions and I need all the advice/tips i can get! First of all my only shotgun is of the tactical variety. Its a mossberg 590a1 with no way of putting a choke on. Is it absolutely necessary to have a full choke? Because I can't find any barrels for it.. Would I be able to get the barrel threaded?
Secondly what all should I bring out in the field? Any specific calls or decoys that I should look at?
Old April 1, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
MOshooter65202

A extra full turkey choke sure helps with a leary old long beard.

As far as your barrel I am not familiar with a mossberg barrel as far as threading your particular barrel..I have a rem 11-87 that I had the barrel shortened and re-threaded,best advise take it to a gun smith or call with your model # and serial #
Old April 1, 2012, 10:51 AM   #3
MikeGunz

Thanks Ill take it to the gun shop tomorrow and hear what they have to say
Old April 1, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
HALL,AUSTIN

Mossberg 500 barrels SHOULD fit the 590. If your alreadygoing to the gun shop, it wouldnt hurt to check it out.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
bamaranger

regards

As far as the "other gear" part of your post, and turkey tips, that's a mouthful.

One thing, spring gobbler hunting is not the arcane, backwoods secret that it was when I was coming up, known only to tanned, wisend old men. There is a world of knowledge available in CD's, outdoor shows, and literature, and a beginner can learn more in one weekend studying same than they could in many seasons as years ago.

Do keep us advised on M500 barrels on 590's. I am a firm believer that a full choke, or more, is advisable for turkeys. And some sort of sight system to lay that load of shot in the head and neck!

Good luck with your spring hunt. It is my favorite and has provided many hours of fun (and frustration).
Old April 3, 2012, 01:45 AM   #6
bamaranger

who knows

I'd give that bird a rest and find another turkey to hunt.

It may be that more than one gobbler uses that locale as a zone, and if I knew that, I might hunt the spot a bit more.

But if your scouting says there's just one bird there, ......I'd figure another way to hunt him...or find another.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:18 AM   #7
hooligan1

The best advice I could tell you is to read the book "Old Pro Turkey Hunter" by Gene Nunnery,,, It'll make becoming a real turkey hunter, alot easier.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:57 AM   #8
eastbank

when i started hunting turkeys, most turkey hunters were as quite as a dead bird with tips. the only advice i give is get a call,shotgun and hunt,hunt and hunt some more, you will learn by the mistakes you make and believe me you will make many. for me any more its not about the kill,but the hunt. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 x 10.jpg (276.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1318.jpg (247.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1469.jpg (276.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by eastbank; April 3, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:31 PM   #9
MikeGunz

Thanks for the advice! Did some research and it sure sounds like a 500 barrel wont fit the 590. Havent had a chance to visit the gun store yet but it looks like I might have to look into purchasing a dedicated shotgun for hunting turkey and waterfowl. Also need to look into purchasing some camo clothing, all i have is my old marine bdu's.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:04 AM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
Also need to look into purchasing some camo clothing, all i have is my old marine bdu's.
You can purchase new camo if you like but if your bdu's blend in with the background you're hunting in, they will do. Have used the old style green bdu's for years.
Just remember, for safety concerns, DO NOT wear any red,white, blue or black.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:30 PM   #11
MikeGunz

Yeah I might wear my pants... I bought a long sleeve real tree shirt from dicks today was only $15.. Was looking at decoys and calls there also.
Been seeing a bunch of turkeys running around, say around 5 running around the back of my apartment then a group of 15 or so in a field on the way to work. I can't wait till may 3rd!
Old April 6, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
jstgsn

before I stepped into the woods

I'd have my body covered in "off" and my clothes treated in permathin (sp?). I know several people who already had visits from chiggers and mosquitos. Then if this list copies ok, follow it..

THE NIGHT BEFORE:
FUEL&OIL CAR CLEAN WINDOWS CHECK TIRES Phone charge
CHECK PERMITS AND LICENSES FILL WATER BOTTLES CHECK WEAPONS AND SCOPES MAKE COFFEE clean thermos
CLOTHES BATTERIES CHECK WEATHER FOOD

Phone charger Wallet/USC License WADERS
Fill water bottles and place in cooler. Pack car. Pack Vehicle and lock car.

Lay out clothes with belt, knife, gloves and hat, compress coat and pack, prepare coffee and sandwiches(cheese). Set alarm.

Vehicle:
Rain coat gun case Ammo & parts
scents cooler Hat-Wool/cloth Kleenex (TP)
maps Tarp thermos heat packs
decoys Stands Deer Cart Spare rope
camera/film Wallet/USC Peroxide

MORNING: coffee and breakfast. Shower and bug juice. Dressed with essentials. Gun in case in car. Telephone on. Wallet hidden (usc in pocket).

ESSENTIALS:
License/Permit Swiss Knife Glasses & case
bug spray Hankie Phone Flash light

Toilet kit GPS/Rhino Ammo Mini light

PACK
First Aid Rope Scent Calls
Tissues Bug juice Water
License/Permits Pee Bottle Glass Case Food
binoculars Coat-(cmprss'd) OP: heat packs Op book
Prunners face mask Ammo decoy phone gun
Old April 6, 2012, 09:44 PM   #13
jrothWA

For your shotgun, I suggest that you...

pattern to barrel with what load you are going to use.
get a hold of the turkey head silhouette target and find what give the best pattern density at 25 & 40 yds.

I would recommend that you use standard 2-3/4" 1-1/4ox loads, with #$, #5, or #6 shot. Check out game regulations to ss if there are maximum shot size not to exceed. [aka no buckshot, or #2 shot is the limit.]

What type cal are you PRACTICING with? I have used two, one a cedar box call and tube mouth call, not a diaphragm type.
Best way to call in the field I found is SOFTLY, not try to get a bird from three counties over. Also follow "less is more" as to frequency and amount of calling.

For clothing, use rubber bands around the leg & arm cuffs, after spraying the insides with bug juice, this will minimize tick and chigger from traveling further.
Use a full head net over your cap, to cut face reflection and get mosquitoes from you. It also allows you to turn your head.

Good luck.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #14
hooligan1

Damn,, yer kinda needy, there jstgsn, I just grab my shotgun my shells a wingbone and slate and head out, and by the way I have walked miles into turkey country before 4:00 am, before the first gobble, then I pick the mouthiest bird and go to him whilest he's at roost. At dawns light there's one call that works for me and thats 5 yelps from an old Ike Ashby slate... and that's usually all it took 6 years in a row.

I awt to charge yuns fer dat info....
Old April 6, 2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Big Pard

Well there are several ways to get equipped for turkey season. There are some who feel they need all the latest gadgets or supplies and others who feel they need only the bare essentials. The barest of essentials is camo from head to toe because turkeys have excellent eye sight even though they don't notice a blind in the middle of a field... A call, whether it is a box, slate, or diaphragm. Generally a box or slate are easier to master quicker than a diaphragm which takes some practice (or at least it did me). A luxury would be a turkey vest with a butt cushion which aids in preventing a case of the "numb posterior".

As far as guns and chokes, I've used an old JC Higgins bolt action 12ga with high brass 6's to kill turkeys. If you can get the gobbler in side 25-30yds then a regular barrel will work fine.

Just remember that being ultra still will let you get away with having an "imperfect" camo pattern and when/if you hear him coming to whatever call you choose then go ahead and get the gun pointed in that direction...

In short, doing your homework and locating the birds is far more important than having half of Cabelas turkey gear.

Last edited by Big Pard; April 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM.