The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 22, 2017, 11:41 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nyclad was originally developed by Smith & Wesson and Fiocchi in the middle 1960s, and I believe first hit the market in the late 1960s.

Federal bought it in the early 1970s when S&W got out of the branded ammunition business.

I THINK Federal finally shut down Nyclad production around 2009-2010, but you could still buy it for a couple of years after that. Prior to that it was in and out of production as they ran batch lots based on demand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 22, 2017, 04:04 PM   #27
briandg

I think that I remember Smith selling it under another name, now that you bring it up.

It would be good in a snub. It would be similar to the legendary (not for me) upside down hollow based wadcutters.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:37 PM   #28
Arizona Fusilier

I still like WW Silvertip when I find it, but when it comes to hollwpoints I gave largely settled for Ranger.

Got a half box of Black Talon somewhere though "for a rainy day".
Old November 23, 2017, 12:40 AM   #29
Water-Man

"Does anyone remember nyclad? A flash in the pan."

Now that's funny.
Old November 23, 2017, 12:59 AM   #30
Ricklin

Me too

I have a full box of fifty Black Talon in .380 from back in the day. I'm hanging on to them till someone offers me too much money for them.

I don't even own a .380, thus the still full box.
Old November 23, 2017, 12:58 PM   #31
5pins

I actually have one round of Federal Nyclad in 9mm. I should shoot it in some gel and see what it does.
Old November 23, 2017, 10:40 PM   #32
seeker_two

With the development of the Syntech ammo, I'd like to see a modernized version of the Nyclad round for pistols.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old November 25, 2017, 03:52 PM   #33
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
But the black paint makes it so much more sinister!!! And having "Talon" in the name is so much scarier than "Ranger" (unless you're talking about Walker, Texas Ranger )
And the black paint makes it armor piercing. Just ask anyone on CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Nice test for 9mm Black Talon. I did one back in the '90s myself, and it did expand complete with sinister Talons as advertised. I still have about 16 of my original box of 20 as they are now collector items I suppose.

I bet the 180 gr. .357 Mag Black Talons would be devastating whitetail loads, although those in particular have ridiculous collector prices now, and I didn't have a .357 back then. I am a big fan of the modern day evolution on the Talon in 125 gr PDX1 form for bipedal problems, however.
Old November 25, 2017, 07:36 PM   #34
GarandTd

I was going to ask, but decided to find the answer on my own. I was curious how black paint was going to peel back into some kind of flesh shredding talon. The coating is called Lubalox. It is a proprietary oxide process. The black appearance is the oxidized copper jacket. It's main purpose was to protect the rifling in the barrel.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:10 PM   #35
Wag

I still have a bunch of .45 230gr BT rounds. About 40 or 50, I'm guessing.

Allegedly, the Ranger XT round is virtually identical, sans the black color.

--Wag--
Old November 26, 2017, 02:25 PM   #36
briandg

Im still baffled by the number of people who hold to the black talon as an iconic and effective round when probably any top brand round is using the same design ideas and will work as well or far better than the old talon.

Any petaled round will work better than a circular mushroom. if the jaccket material supports the lead core during expansion, it will retain weight and mushroom size. Really, those are the most important factors to creating a wide and deep wound channel. Retaining weight and creating a mushroom that will create a wide wound channel.

I just saw an ad for a non-expanding bullet that referred to the extremely high rpms that a bullet impacted at. please spare me.
Old December 1, 2017, 12:16 AM   #37
ThomasT

Quote:
Does anyone remember nyclad? A flash in the pan.
I think I have around 10 rounds I was given. I have never tested them. I guess I will just add them to the 4 BT 44mag rounds I own. Is this the start of an ammo collection?
Old December 2, 2017, 11:58 PM   #38
Arizona Fusilier

Just came back from the gun show, my regular source of 147gr Ranger didn't have any. Might be hanging on to what I've got.
Old December 4, 2017, 11:17 AM   #39
stephen426

Not to go too far off topic, but what are you guys' thoughts on Ruger ARX ammo? It look pretty interesting. Should feed better than large cavity hollow points and the lighter weight should yield some high velocities. http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-10-07a.html
Old December 5, 2017, 03:08 AM   #40
Kilibreaux

Black Talon looks a whole lot like Winchersters Ranger series albeit without the black talon look.